jle930sl

Engagement Ring = Wedding Ring?!?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hey guys.

I'm getting ready to send my visa petition today (yay!) and had a sudden thought while triple checking the paperwork.

My fiance got me an engagement ring in 2008 (1.5 years after engagement) that I originally included proof of in the photos section of my "met in last 2 years" proof. There is 1 picture of us after he gave it to me, and 1 pic of me wearing the ring.

The problem is that the engagement ring looks like a wedding ring. It is a simple silver band with a thin strip of gold in the middle. I absolutely adore this ring and a typical american style engagement ring (with a rock on it) would have been bad for my line of work. However, if a person doesn't know, it's easy to look at it and assume it's a wedding ring.

I don't want to give USCIS ANY chance to think we've committed visa fraud or something. Do you think I should take the photos out of the proof and just make no mention of it anywhere? The photos aren't absolutely necessary to the case, I just put them in to show that we're serious about all of this.

Let me know what you think asap please! I really want to mail the petition today.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I believe you are overthinking the situation..

PS, BTW, the USCIS does not issue visas, no visa has been issued, there can be no visa fraud at this stage of the process...

Edited by fwaguy

YMMV

Wow, first...relax.

You are making this a WAY bigger issue than needs to be.

An engagement ring really has no meaning to the USCIS. It doesn't prove you are engaged, anyone can buy a ring. They want to see proof that you have met in the last 2 years, boarding passes, itineraries, stamps in your passport. Even pictures are secondary evidence.

They won't even care about an engagement ring and what it looks like.

You can bring a receipt of the engagement ring at the interview but even then, it's secondary, doesn't prove a thing.

Breathe.

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Thanks guys. Today I've been overthinking everything , I admit. I just really want everything to go well.

You guys are right, of course. We have a good amount of primary evidence and secondary evidence of having met in the last 2 years. Since the pictures don't really matter anyways, I'll just take them out and be done with it.

Okay... I think i'm breathing again.

Thanks for reminding me to stop thinking so much!

You're welcome.

As for the pictures, you don't have to take all of them out. We put a total of 6 pictures in our petition and got through no problem.

I think a few can't hurt.

Keep it simple :)

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

I agree to have some pictures. We have a good amount from the years, so I think even without the engagement ring pictures we have more than enough. :)

As soon as a fax comes in, I'm off to the post office. Thanks again for all the help. I would have gone crazy by now without everyone here!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
I agree to have some pictures. We have a good amount from the years, so I think even without the engagement ring pictures we have more than enough. :)

As soon as a fax comes in, I'm off to the post office. Thanks again for all the help. I would have gone crazy by now without everyone here!

I would make no mention of the ring whatsoever and include no picture of it. If you're wearing it in pictures, no problem. Understand pictures are secondary evidence of meeting. Passport stamps, boarding passes and hotel receipts are primary. You can even skip the pictures altogether if you want. It's important to focus on what's important and leave out the fluff.

I like the idea of including a few pictures with an I-129F petition but in addition to the primary evidence.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Hey guys.

I'm getting ready to send my visa petition today (yay!) and had a sudden thought while triple checking the paperwork.

My fiance got me an engagement ring in 2008 (1.5 years after engagement) that I originally included proof of in the photos section of my "met in last 2 years" proof. There is 1 picture of us after he gave it to me, and 1 pic of me wearing the ring.

The problem is that the engagement ring looks like a wedding ring. It is a simple silver band with a thin strip of gold in the middle. I absolutely adore this ring and a typical american style engagement ring (with a rock on it) would have been bad for my line of work. However, if a person doesn't know, it's easy to look at it and assume it's a wedding ring.

I don't want to give USCIS ANY chance to think we've committed visa fraud or something. Do you think I should take the photos out of the proof and just make no mention of it anywhere? The photos aren't absolutely necessary to the case, I just put them in to show that we're serious about all of this.

Let me know what you think asap please! I really want to mail the petition today.

USCIS does not put that much thought into what a ring looks like! As long as you have met in the past 2 years and can prove it and both of you are free to marry, all is good. Wether you have a ring or not, be it a band or a rock, it is not important to USCIS at all.

Edited by joeyjoey

Fernanda's Timeline

K-1

June 2, 2006 - Mailed K1 Petition

Jun 28, 2006 - NOA1

Oct 05, 2006 - NOA2 - APPROVED after 122 days

Dec 05, 2006 - Received Packet 3 from Consulate

Dec 11, 2006 - Medical Examination in Belo Horizonte

Jan 10, 2007 - Returned Packet #3 to Consulate (SEDEX-10)

Mar 13, 2007 - INTERVIEW SUCCESS! We have our K-1 VISA !!

POE & Texas Wedding

Mar 27, 2007 - POE Houston, TX. No questions. Gone in 10 minutes.

Mar 28, 2007 - Marriage License app

April 4, 2007 - Our Wedding Day!

April 12, 2007 - Apply for SS card with married name

April 20, 2007 - Received SS card

AOS

June 4, 2007 - Mailed AOS

June 6, 2007 - USCIS received

June 11, 2007 - NOA1 for I-485

July 18, 2007 - Biometrics completed

July 20, 2007 - Case transferred from MSC to CSC

July 31, 2007 - AOS Approved - 57 days - Without an Interview!

Aug 06, 2007 - Received Green Card in the mail today!

Jan 8, 2009 @ 8:18PM - Our son was born tonight !!

I-751 - Remove Conditions

July 11, 2009 - Certified Mail to VSC I-751 Package

July 14, 2009 - Check cleared bank

July 20, 2009 - NOA1 & 1 yr extension - Receipt date is July 14. Case# assigned

Sept 1, 2009 - Biometrics completed

Nov 25, 2009 - I-751 is approved. No Interview.

Dec 14, 2009 - 10yr Green Card arrived !

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hey guys.

USCIS does not put that much thought into what a ring looks like! As long as you have met in the past 2 years and can prove it and both of you are free to marry, all is good. Wether you have a ring or not, be it a band or a rock, it is not important to USCIS at all.

Not important to USCIS at all but can become an issue at interview. That's why I wouldn't mention it at all. If you mention it, the CO might want to see it. If they see it and think you're married, then it could be a problem. This is not very likely but can be avoided by simply not mentioning the ring. It can hurt and cannot help.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.