Cecile and Bryan

What needs to be translated?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone. I am still in France, waiting for packet 3 for my K1 visa and I would like to know what documents will need to be translated in the future.

I don't know if I am going to find a professional translator for these or if I will do it myself (any suggestion on that subject would be welcome too!), but since if I do get a professional translator, then it would probably be cheaper in France than in the US. Hence my concern now.

I know that I will need to have my birth certificate translated for AOS in a few months.

What else would I need to translate?

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: France
Timeline

We used a service in California that was about $40. Translation companies in France wanted twice that. I don't think doing it yourself is 'good enough' for what immigration wants unfortunately.

K-1 Timeline

04/26/07 - I-129F sent

05/23/07 - NOA1

09/07/07 - NOA2

10/09/07 - NVC

10/20/07 - Packet 3

10/27/07 - Packet 4

11/07/07 - Medical

12/11/07 - Interview

12/25/07 - POE Chicago

AOS Timeline

01/18/08 - Wedding

01/24/08 - AOS Packet Sent

01/27/08 - NOAs for AOS, EAD, and AP

03/27/08 - AP Received

05/01/08 - EAD Received

08/06/08 - RFE for I-485

08/18/08 - Case Resumed

08/26/08 - Card Production Ordered (no interview)

08/29/08 - Welcome Letter Received

09/02/08 - Green Card Received

Timeline

And other than the birth certificate, what do you think I need to get translated?

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
I don't think doing it yourself is 'good enough' for what immigration wants unfortunately.

For USCIS purposes, if the OP is competant in both languages, they absolutely CAN translate it themselves... All that is required is for them to sign a simple "certification" statement on there competancy....

This standard may or may not work for consualte purposes but is absolutely OK for the USCIS.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

i can only speak for belgium, but hey dont need anything translated as long it's in english, french, dutch or german (belgium's official languages). most country's give international birthcertificates if you ask (what you need for marriagelicense).

marjan

Timeline

Actually, my question isn't for the embassy/consulate purpose, but for USCIS. I'm asking for the AOS process, once we will be married.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

For those who didn't see I will repeat..

For USCIS purposes, if the OP is competant in both languages, they absolutely CAN translate it themselves... All that is required is for them to sign a simple "certification" statement as to there competancy....

YMMV

Timeline

For USCIS purposes, if the OP is competant in both languages, they absolutely CAN translate it themselves... All that is required is for them to sign a simple "certification" statement as to there competancy....

Thank you fwaguy!

I found an example of "certification statement" on another thread, and several people said they did it, so I guess this is what I will do.

Then, other than my birth certificate, do you know what else I'll need to translate? I can't think of anything else.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

Thank you fwaguy!

I found an example of "certification statement" on another thread, and several people said they did it, so I guess this is what I will do.

Then, other than my birth certificate, do you know what else I'll need to translate? I can't think of anything else.

Any evidence supplied that is not in English need translation... Most common is the BC...

YMMV

Timeline

OK. Thank you again, it's still good to hear other people's advices.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

From the instructions (not sure how more clear I could have been)

Translations. Any document containing foreign language submitted to USCIS shall be accompanied by a full English language translation which the translator has certified as complete and accurate, and by the translator's certification that he or she is competent to translate from the foreign language into English.

YMMV

Timeline

You didn't need to try to be more clear than you were: by "other people's advice", I meant your advice (and the other ones who answered). Sorry if you misunderstood, now that I read my previous post, I see that it was quite confusing.

What I wanted to say was: "it's always good to hear what people (other than myself) think"

I appreciate your help and I will translate everything myself, as you said :thumbs:

Edited by Cecile and Bryan

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Timeline

All I can remember is the BC. I also obtained an "extrait de casier judiciaire" just in case they ask and translated it. It is however not required especially since you are going through the K1 process.

Something else that could be useful is to translate the vaccination pages of your "carnet de sante".

Your passeport is in both languages so that is not an issue.

Outside of the AOS: Diplomas, driving license record (we don't really have an equivalent though) for insurance purposes (some insurances require it).

Check the Driving License requirements of the state you will live in and see if they need anything specific.

That's about all I can think of.

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.