mslady

Sample Affidavit from Witnesses of Abuse (VAWA)

6 posts in this topic

I am a victim of abuse and currently going through the VAWA process.

My experience is detailed on my post #12 in this thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121135

My attorney has asked that i provide at least one affidavit from a witness (i have two, the friend i moved in with and my brother).

But they have no idea how to write one, nor what format, me neither.

Does anyone know how? Can anyone provide me with a sample format or draft, where they can just plug in what they witnessed?

Please help.

Edited by mslady

Ex-wife of abusive USC. Filing VAWA

Prior Status: F1, NYC

Aug 06: Married USC (US born, raised in my country)

Apr 07: Filed I-130/I-485/I-765

May 07: RD for I-130/I-485/I-765

Jun 07: Biometrics for I-485/I-765

Aug 07: Assaulted by USC (1 out of many) - USC arrested, 2nd degree assault. Controlling USC constantly reminded me that he could have me deported at his will (emails, text msgs, voicemails saved)

Sep 07: Interview for I-485, both didn't show. USC calls & writes immigration to withdraw.

Oct - Dec 07: Orders of protection, police reports, moved out with nothing, trying to start my life over.

Dec 07: USC filed annulment saying i refuse to have kids & I married him for greencard. Contested. 1yr later, he withdrew & refilled on abandonment.

Jun 08: Filed I-360, VAWA

July 08: RD for Prima Facie Determination - 180 days

Aug 08: Criminal & Family court still on - Final Order of protection (USC pleads guilty)

Sep 08: Filed I-765 based on pending I-485

Oct 08: Biometrics for I-765

Nov 08: I-765 Denied, lawyer says it's likely they don't know about the pending VAWA case

Jan 09: RD for 2nd Prima Facie - 180 days

Apr 09: Divorce final

Oct 7, 09: I-360 approved So happy & thankful to God cos i have waited, prayed & hoped for so long.

Oct 26, 09 - Filed for I485 Adjustment of Status - paid approx $1,000 to immigration + $200 Civil surgeon fee.

Nov 21, 09 - Finger print letter received

Dec 13, 09 - Happily fingerprinted & photographed ;)

Feb 1, 10 - Employ Auth card received

Feb 3, 10 - Interview letter received

Mar 10, 10 - APPROVED!!!!

Filed: Timeline

My experience is detailed on my post #12 in this thread here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=121135

My attorney has asked that i provide at least one affidavit from a witness (i have two, the friend i moved in with and my brother).

Does anyone know how? Can anyone provide me with a sample format or draft, where they can just plug in what they witnessed?

Please help.

There isn't any said format. The witnesses should simply document their knowledge of the abusive relationship that you had with your petitioner. Why not ask your attorney for guidance?

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Please help.

There isn't any said format. The witnesses should simply document their knowledge of the abusive relationship that you had with your petitioner. Why not ask your attorney for guidance?

My thoughts exactly. A starting place would be for them to simply write a letter telling what they observed. They can write it the same way they would tell a friend about it but just address it to, "To whom it may concern:" and have a Notary witness their signature. Your attorney may have a better idea.

Information in the letter should be detailed as possible with regards to dates and time.

Edited by pushbrk

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

• 1 month later...
See the notary for a proper format, but usually begins with " I JOHN SMITH state the following.....etc."

At the end, they must say "I declare under the penalty of perjury..."

I-751 processing time

July 2007 - filed I-751 abuse waiver

Sep 2007 - bio appt

Mar 2008 - approved

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: England
Timeline

Go to assista online they have samples letters etc regarding VAWA

Filing I 360 3rd Nov 2005

Prima facie determination received from Vermont 20th Nov 2005

DIVORCED JANUARY 25th 2006

EAD applied for again (jeez I need to work ) 28th Feb 2006

Removal hearing July 12th 2006

RFE's received for I360 and EAD 13th October 2006

NOID received March 2007

EAD denied March 2007

Back to Immigration Court April 18th 2007

NOID request for evidence received USCIS 3rd May 2007

I 360 touched May 31st 2007

I 360 actually approved May 30th 2007

EAD filed June 23rd 2007

I 485 filed July 24th 2007

NOA1 for I 485 August 1st 2007

EAD approved August 6th 2007

Medical with CS August 28th 2007

Biometrics August 24th 2007

Paperwork sent to Immigration Judge to finally terminate removal proceedings September 10th 2007

GREEN CARD FINALLY APPROVED AFTER 4 YEARS September 9th 2008 :D

N-400 Filed online 03/04/2018

NOA online 03/05/2018- projected Citizenship completion date December 2018

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.