XiaoBai

Communist Party Membership of Fiancee

16 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I was interested if anyone here had applied for a K-1 visa when there fiancee was a member of the Communist Party. My fiancee belongs to the communist party in China. It was for the benefit of her employment. I know being a member of the communist party is a bar to immigration but there are some exceptions. Has anyone here gone through that or had any experiences with it at the embassy, background check, or interview? Would love to have some input from those that have had personal experience with it. Thanks.

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the places, people, and moments that take our breath away!

I was interested if anyone here had applied for a K-1 visa when there fiancee was a member of the Communist Party. My fiancee belongs to the communist party in China. It was for the benefit of her employment. I know being a member of the communist party is a bar to immigration but there are some exceptions. Has anyone here gone through that or had any experiences with it at the embassy, background check, or interview? Would love to have some input from those that have had personal experience with it. Thanks.

Although it doesn't apply on me and my fiancee, I do think it is a good question and am curious about this as well :)

Also, what are the exceptions for the bar people get when they're a member of the communist party?

N400 Timeline:

12/14/11 - Sending out N400 package

12/19/11 - Received by USCIS

12/21/11 - NOA date

12/22/11 - Check cashed

12/27/11 - Received NOA

02/06/12 - Received yellow letter (pre-interview case file review)

03/13/12 - Placed in line for interview scheduling (3 yr anniversary)

03/17/12 - Received interview letter

04/17/12 - Interview - No decision, application under further review

04/17/12 - Biometrics

04/25/12 - Placed in line for oath scheduling (so I'm approved yay!)

04/27/12 - Received oath ceremony date

05/09/12 - Oath ceremony!!

Filed: Timeline

More often relaxing DHS policy on the permanent bar to admission is due to the alien's membership in the Communist Party being of an involuntary nature. If an alien has terminated membership or affiliation with the party for five years prior to the USC fiancé(e) petitioning and are not considered a threat to US security, then the bar can be lifted as well. Also, close family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be able to waive the bar if the Attorney General, in his discretion, decides to admit for them for either humanitarian purposes, family unity or public interest.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

They deal with a lot of these issues at http://www.candleforlove.com

If she can resign officially from the party now, it would help. At the least, you can count on additional administrative processing after the initial interview.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Communist party is an issue that is fairly easily overcome by a waiver when requested by the immigrations officer at the consulate, it usualy takes 4 months to process the waiver.

Several members on CFL hav had to deal with this.

SEE: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=406885

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You are probably going to have problems if still a member of communist party, would consider dropping out now.

:whistle:

Timeline
More often relaxing DHS policy on the permanent bar to admission is due to the alien's membership in the Communist Party being of an involuntary nature. If an alien has terminated membership or affiliation with the party for five years prior to the USC fiancé(e) petitioning and are not considered a threat to US security, then the bar can be lifted as well. Also, close family members of U.S. citizens or permanent residents may be able to waive the bar if the Attorney General, in his discretion, decides to admit for them for either humanitarian purposes, family unity or public interest.

She joined the party because her father was a member. Her father was a police officer and apparently there are benefits to being in the party if you work for the government such as easier to get promotions. My fiance is also a policewoman in WuHan and she voluntarily joined the CCP for the same reasons. Extra benefits in her job and the ability in the future for promtions. She has been a policewoman in WuHan for 8 years after getting her degree in college. Her main job with the police department is as a 911 operator. When I was there last week she told me she could quit at any time but I read that even if she quits it is irrelevent unless she quit over 5 years ago. I would hate to go through the whole process and then be told that she could never be approved because of this. I'm fairly certain that she's not a spy who is subversively trying to overthrow the US government singlehandedly by marrying me and coming to America.

Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the places, people, and moments that take our breath away!

Timeline

She joined the party because her father was a member. Her father was a police officer and apparently there are benefits to being in the party if you work for the government such as easier to get promotions. My fiance is also a policewoman in WuHan and she voluntarily joined the CCP for the same reasons. Extra benefits in her job and the ability in the future for promtions. She has been a policewoman in WuHan for 8 years after getting her degree in college. Her main job with the police department is as a 911 operator. When I was there last week she told me she could quit at any time but I read that even if she quits it is irrelevent unless she quit over 5 years ago. I would hate to go through the whole process and then be told that she could never be approved because of this. I'm fairly certain that she's not a spy who is subversively trying to overthrow the US government singlehandedly by marrying me and coming to America.

The 5 year thing has to do with if a waiver needs to be filed or not. if she quit more than 5 years before the interview, then a waiver wont be needed.

Again, see the link to Candle that I posted, it has links to relevant posts on CFL, one Paula, had quit the party just before the interview, the other Mama Bear, I believe was still in the party at the time of interview, both were able to get waivers for this without problems. Note both were already married to US citizen and were doing CR-1 spousal visas.

Also join Candle, there you will find much more about this.

MORE: http://www.candleforlove.com/forums/index....f=7&t=10946

Edited by YuAndDan

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline

First rule... don't ask, don't tell. Second rule... well, beyond those high ranking officers, how can an American Consulate or FBI access CCP's roaster to find out who is a member and who is not?

Edited by beijing.qifan

Footprints of Love

02/01/2007: Met Annie on www.baihe.com

After chatting almost daily online, exchanging emails (150+ in five months) and countless SMSes...

06/28/2007: Qifan flew to Shanghai :-)

07/04/2007: Met Annie's parents (very nervous)

07/10/2007: Introduced Annie to my parents (her turn to be nervous!)

07/14/2007: Departing from Shanghai :-(

Again, more emails and SMSes, plus phone calls (almost twice a day!!)...

12/19/2007: Qifan flew to Shanghai :-) :-)

12/24/2007 (Xmas Eve): Engaged!!

1/1/2008: Departing again :-( :-(

2/1/2008: Send the entire I-129F package to USCIS California Service Center

2/6/2008: Received the NOA1

2/6/2008 - Present: Checking status and VJ timeline daily!

5/16/2008: Qifan flew to Shanghai :-) :-) :-)

5/18/2008: Dresses picking day (for photo shoot next day)

5/19/2008: Photo shoot day! Twelve hours long and 232 pictures taken

5/20/2008: Photo picking day... Ten hours long and 50 pictures selected

5/21/2008: Traveled to Putuo Mountain and prayed to the Goddesses

5/25/2008: Missed my flight and stole an extra day with Annie :-) :-) :-)

5/26/2008: Departing again :-( :-( :-(

6/16/2008: Received the NOA2!!!! Yipee!!

7/11/2008: NVC has received the case and assigned it with a GUZ #.

7/17/2008: NVC Rep. informed me the case has been forwarded to GUZ consulate.

Phone Record (from Jan 1st, 2008) $240.76 14104 min.

9/9/2008: Package received by GZ Consulate.

9/25/2008: P3 Received

10/6/2008: P3 Mailed

4990.gif

Timeline
First rule... don't ask, don't tell. Second rule... well, beyond those high ranking officers, how can an American Consulate or FBI access CCP's roaster to find out who is a member and who is not?

The point is the question of party membership is asked on the visa application and although the Consulate and FBI don't have access to a CCP roster, they do know that police officers are most likely party members. Never lie to an immigration official or on an immigration form.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Be careful of this because it specifically asks this question on immigration documents and you cannot lie. Secondly, my husband was asked a similar question when he had his AOS interview.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Timeline

The point is the question of party membership is asked on the visa application and although the Consulate and FBI don't have access to a CCP roster, they do know that police officers are most likely party members. Never lie to an immigration official or on an immigration form.

Exactly, if they do catch the lie, like when adjusting status or even years later when applying for citizenship, they can and DO revoke resident status and deport based on misrepresentation.

The best policy is to answer honestly and if requested file the waiver.

K-Visas may get past this at the consulate, but when adjusting status the question comes up again on form I-485.

I-485 Page 3

6. Have you ever been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485.pdf

Timeline

Exactly, if they do catch the lie, like when adjusting status or even years later when applying for citizenship, they can and DO revoke resident status and deport based on misrepresentation.

K-Visas may get past this at the consulate, but when adjusting status the question comes up again on form I-485.

I-485 Page 3

6. Have you ever been a member of, or in any way affiliated with, the Communist Party or any other totalitarian party?

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think she is going to stay in the party until her visa is approved. She gets benefits and better chance of promotions if a member. Once the visa is approved and she is coming to the USA she can drop out and quit. I don't want her to do anything to jeopardize her job if her visa isn't approved for whatever reason. We have all intentions of being truthful on the applications and every step of the way.

Timeline

I-485 Page 3

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think she is going to stay in the party until her visa is approved. She gets benefits and better chance of promotions if a member. Once the visa is approved and she is coming to the USA she can drop out and quit. I don't want her to do anything to jeopardize her job if her visa isn't approved for whatever reason. We have all intentions of being truthful on the applications and every step of the way.

Then I hope you like China as much as I do because there's always the chance it's the only place you'll be able to be together. Frankly, I think you're just looking at a delay but it could depend on what kind of police work she does. They'll look into it pretty closely.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

I-485 Page 3

Then I hope you like China as much as I do because there's always the chance it's the only place you'll be able to be together. Frankly, I think you're just looking at a delay but it could depend on what kind of police work she does. They'll look into it pretty closely.

I actually do like China quite a bit and have already started making arrnagements to move there. We have looked at apartments, I have sold my home in CA, and I have already sold most of my material belongings here. To me it's not much pressure on whether the visa is approved or not. If it isn't then I am moving to China. She already has an apartment there and I have already checked into working there. If it is approved then we will have a nice life in the USA for about 5 years then we are moving to China anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.