14 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I'M JUST CURIOUS,WHAT HAPPENS IF A PERSON DOESN'T ADJUST FOR AOS? WOULD THE INS COME LOOKING FOR THEM? WITH ALL THE ILLEGAL ALIENS RUNNING AROUND, YOU'D THINK THEY HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO WITH THEIR TIME...ALSO, IS THERE ACTUALLY A TIME LIMIT FOR FILING THE AOS PAPERWORK? ARE THERE ANY NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR FILING LATE? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT/REPLIES TO MY QUESTIONS...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I would have to ask, why would a person not do their aos? as for a time limit I think it has a lot to do with the type of visa you came in with.

Barbara (Canada) & Dallas (USC)

AOS

Nov 13 2005 EAD & I-485 sent to Chicago Lockbox

Nov 22, 2005 EAD & I-485 NOA1

Dec 15, 2005 Biometrics for EAD & I-485

Dec 19, 2005 EAD & I-485 Touched

Jan 21, 2006 Rec'd I-485 Fingerprint Reschedule Notice (AHHH!!!)

Feb 10, 2006 Fingerprint App't

Feb 1, 2006 EAD Approved!!!!

Feb 11, 2006 Rec'd EAD card

Feb 13, 2006 Applied for SSN

Feb 17, 2006 Rec'd SSN

Feb 23, 2006 I-485 Transferred to CSC (AHHH!!)

Mar 02, 2006 I-485 Has been received at CSC

Mar 13, 2006 I-485 Touched

Mar 14, 2006 I-485 Touched

Apr 15 & 25 2006 emailed CSC for status inquiry on I-485

Apr 26 2006 received a response from CSC, another response in 60 days (ahhhhh!!!)

Apr 27, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 17, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 19, 2006 I-485 Touched

Jun 20, 2006 I-485 Touched

July 3, 2006 emailed CSC again, no response given in the allotted 60 days time frame.

July 27, 2006 received a response from CSC, another response will be given in 30 days.. ha ha ha.

***app sent back to Missouri ***app sent to Chicago

Aug 21 2006 touched

Sept 29 2006 3rd year Anniversay

October 13, 2006 Immigration Interview - Need to return with Long Form Birth Certificate

October 13, 2006 Long Form Birth Cert ordered with expediated shipping

October 18, 2006 Birth Cert Received

October 19, 2006 2nd Immigration Interview - APPROVED

5-20 business days for the Green Card to arrive, maybe I'll be back to see my family before Christmas?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Due to the time it takes or can take for AOS I would do it as soon as possible. After going through the process to get here either on a K-1 or K-3 visa I can't imagine why you would want to break the law by not filing for AOS. You or your spouse are already in the system and if AOS isn't filed then the outcome would be that the non-US citizen would have to leave the country then good luck with EVER trying to get back in. Also without going through the AOS the non-US citizen could never go back home to visit with family and friends as they wouldn't be able to get back to the US. To me it is important to be able to go back and see my family and friends in Australia not sure about you.

Debby.

K-3 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Texas Service Center

Consulate : Sydney, Australia

Marriage : 2003-12-27

I-130 Sent : 2004-01-15

I-130 NOA1 : 2004-01-20

I-129F Sent : 2004-02-18

I-129F NOA1 : 2004-02-23

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : 2004-07-24

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received : 2004-08-20

Packet 3 Sent : 2004-09-23

Packet 4 Received : 2004-10-01

Interview Date : 2004-10-27 Submit Review

Visa Received : 2004-10-27

US Entry : 2004-11-03

I-130 Approval :

Point of Entry Review

Event Date

Point of Entry : Atlanta

POE Date : 2004-11-03

Got EAD Stamp :

Biometrics Taken : Yes

Harassment Level : 0

Comments : They were really nice at Hartsfield airport when I arrived. The lines were long and the process took a while but there were no hassles.

Adjustment of Status

Event Date

CIS Office : Atlanta GA

Date Filed : 2005-01-23

NOA Date :

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2005-03-18

Interview Date : 2006-08-01 Submit Review

Approved :

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

Comments :

I'M JUST CURIOUS,WHAT HAPPENS IF A PERSON DOESN'T ADJUST FOR AOS? WOULD THE INS COME LOOKING FOR THEM? WITH ALL THE ILLEGAL ALIENS RUNNING AROUND, YOU'D THINK THEY HAVE SOMETHING BETTER TO WITH THEIR TIME...ALSO, IS THERE ACTUALLY A TIME LIMIT FOR FILING THE AOS PAPERWORK? ARE THERE ANY NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES FOR FILING LATE? THANKS FOR ANY INPUT/REPLIES TO MY QUESTIONS...

Luckily the INS puts GPS tracking chips in all foreigners at the POEs. So they can pick them up at their leisure.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I think there is no real time limit though they don't like you to be just hanging on. I have heard of people filing a year or more later - but like others said - You can't leave USA and get back in. If you are Ok with that then you can stick around. If you haven't filed for AOS - you can't get EAD either so you can't work either (may or may not be important to you.) Good luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

From reading your other post in February, I am assuming you married within the 90 days (you still weren't married then, I believe), but she had been in the hospital a couple of times. You mentioned you had a large amount of medical bills in January/February so are apparently having a funds problem submitting the AOS.

I believe I read recently that there is now a 180-day grace period to submit AOS...I would really try to submit at least the AOS application if nothing else, however (and not EAD or AP, which can be submitted later). I don't know how true the grace period information is (not sure if someone has seen that officially or not) and to be so stuck in limbo would be a bad place to be.

Best of luck to you and hope things are going better for your wife. (F)

1-21-09 Getting Naturalization documents together.

smiley-995.pngsmiley-996.png

Disclaimer: i dunno nuthin bout birthin no babys, or bout imugrayshun.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

the following excerpt is from the VJ visa faqs'

6.1)...How soon after we get married should we apply for Adjustment of Status?

A..Right away, or at least right after your honeymoon. You should make every effort to get the Adjustment application filed within 90 days of the fiance(e) entering the United States, which is when the K-1 status expires, as indicated on the I-94.

Filing for Adjustment of Status within the 90 days protects your legal status. Your legal status as a K1 expires after 90 days, married or not. The only way to protect your legal status is to apply for Adjustment of Status, and the only way to maintain continuous legal status is to file for AOS before the K1 visa expires. On the practical side, it is often difficult to arrange for the marriage, and get all the paperwork ready in time to file for AOS within 90 days. Many newsgroup couples have filed for AOS a few days or weeks after the 90 day limit with no problems. Thus far, newsgroup experience has shown this is not a major issue with local USCIS (INS) offices.

K1

06-04-05 Met my fiancee in London

08-20-05 Engagement in Manchester, UK

09-07-05 Filed for I-129F

09-14-05 I-129F NOA1 Receipt

10-11-05 I-129F NOA2 Approved

10-13-05 NVC mails petition to US embassy in London

11-07-05 Received packet from US embassy

01-12-05 Medical Examination

02-03-06 Interview Date

02-06-06 Visa Received

03-10-06 U.S. Entry at Newark Liberty Intl.

AOS

04-03-06 Got Married

04-11-06 Picked up Marriage Certificate

04-13-06 Applied for Social Security

04-15-06 Went to Civil Surgeon's for I-693A

04-17-06 Picked up I-693A from Civil Surgeons

04-19-06 Received Social Security card

04-22-06 Sent AOS package

05-04-06 Checks cashed for AOS and EAD

05-06-06 NOA1 received for AOS and EAD

05-13-06 AOS and EAD touched

05-15-06 Appt. letter for Biometrics

05-20-06 Biometrics Appointment

05-25-06 AOS and EAD touched

07-20-06 EAD Approved

07-25-06 EAD received in mail

07-27-06 Notice for interview

09-26-06 AOS Approved

114952351596656.gif

Luckily the INS puts GPS tracking chips in all foreigners at the POEs. So they can pick them up at their leisure.

*snort*

oink you mean?

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

If you don't adjust status, well, eventually you become illegal as well...

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I filed for adjustment some 6 months after my K-1 ran out.. I even filed AR-11 stating that I had moved, that i came in on a K-1 and had married my fiance within the 90 day time period (before i had filed for AOS). I just got my application approved (just over a week ago) with no problems what so ever... It was not even mentioned... Just keep in mind that the medical expires 1 year after it is completed, so if you file for AOS one year after you had your medical (if you came in on a k-1 or k-3) then you will have to get another one...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

If you don't ever apply to adjust status, technically you're illegal and if you ever had to leave the US for any reason they'd never let you back in because you'd have triggered either the ten-year or life-time ban for overstay (and if you ever got into trouble with the law they'd deport you as an illegal alien or at least put you up for deportation proceedings...) But people have applied for AOS months or even YEARS after they were married and they seem to have been able to do it without too much problem as long as they can prove that a)they entered the country legally and b)they fulfilled the conditions of their visa by getting married in the 90 days... better to file it late than never.

Edited by Kajikit

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

You should also know that if you are not filing AOS documents because of the fees (if the comments about the medical bills etc. above are correct), that there is a way to file and have the fees decreased or waived (I can't remember which).

If you do a search for "JayJay" she posted a bunch of information on this earlier this year. Or possibly some other helpful soul will search for it for you (I'm at work...sorry!)

Best of luck to you.

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.