Marlita

What type of job did you get?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
My husband is a chauffeur.

WOW!! now thats a different job.

My husband has also mentioned wanting to be a car saleman, haha :blink: . I think he's a good salesman too...he's a charmer and some people fall for that.

PUSH!: Pray Until Something Happens!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I have a friend from Sierra Leone and her husband started working for baggage claim at United, they get great benefits, including the buddy passes. He's been there now 21 years and has been a manager for quite some time. I think she also stared at United in ticketing but I'm not sure, her sister worked as part of the cleaning crew for 19 years and loved it.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Good for you, that is great. :thumbs:

Andre tried the hotel work. While he interviewed and 2nd interviewed, it just didn't pan out. He graduated prefect in his class, has no college, and worked 8 years as a bartender in 3 different hotels.

As you already know, he finally got the job at Jack in the Box in January 2007, 2 months after he was able to work. 3 months later, he was training for shift leader. Today, he is training for assistant manager. The area coach has him pegged for a store manager down the line, so we'll see how that goes. Along the way, he's gained 4 pay raises, his own health & dental insurance, vacation and sick time, some retirement, loads of training and experience. All I asked was that he work his first US job at least a year. It's been more then I ever imagined.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

My husband has also mentioned wanting to be a car saleman, haha :blink: . I think he's a good salesman too...he's a charmer and some people fall for that.

Yeah, he really enjoys it - he likes driving a lot. Plus he sometimes gets to drive famous people around. He drove Kobe Bryant to the NBA finals last night! :dance:

He's not the 9 to 5 type, so this has been working out really well. I'd suggest getting the DL as soon as possible - it will open up a lot of opportunites for work, especially for those with no degree. :thumbs:

Timeline

Yeah, he really enjoys it - he likes driving a lot. Plus he sometimes gets to drive famous people around. He drove Kobe Bryant to the NBA finals last night! :dance:

He's not the 9 to 5 type, so this has been working out really well. I'd suggest getting the DL as soon as possible - it will open up a lot of opportunites for work, especially for those with no degree. :thumbs:

OMG! that's crazy...he drove kobe? That must be an interesting job. I always thought driving jobs or delivery jobs were hard to get cause they would want your driving record. But u dont have one when you first come to the States.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

OMG! that's crazy...he drove kobe? That must be an interesting job. I always thought driving jobs or delivery jobs were hard to get cause they would want your driving record. But u dont have one when you first come to the States.

I know that's true for most large companies. My husband works for a subcontractor though where the rules are more lax. The drawback to not working for a large company though is lack of benefits. Good thing he's covered under my insurance. But he doesn't have any PTO.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
Andre tried the hotel work. While he interviewed and 2nd interviewed, it just didn't pan out. He graduated prefect in his class, has no college, and worked 8 years as a bartender in 3 different hotels.

As you already know, he finally got the job at Jack in the Box in January 2007, 2 months after he was able to work. 3 months later, he was training for shift leader. Today, he is training for assistant manager. The area coach has him pegged for a store manager down the line, so we'll see how that goes. Along the way, he's gained 4 pay raises, his own health & dental insurance, vacation and sick time, some retirement, loads of training and experience. All I asked was that he work his first US job at least a year. It's been more then I ever imagined.

Wow, thats pretty good! I am hoping my husband can get a job doing something that doesnt require him to work weekends. Most entry jobs require the weekends. But since I work 40+ hours during the week our weekends will be the only full time together. He wants to go to school too, so I am thinking he has to find something to work with his school schedule too.

My husband has a college degree but started from scratch here. In the first couple of years he worked as dishwasher, as a cashier at a money wiring place and as security. He's now a barista at starbucks and loves it. He's very social and his favorite job was as a bartender (He bartended to get through college). I told him that a barista is a Seattle bartender. :hehe: Great benefits even for part-time.

He has a college degree and still had to start off entry? What was his degree in..if I may ask?

My husband started out entry level because of his English even though he'd gone to college.

I'd recommend UPS to avoid weekend work. My husband worked at UPS for a few months last winter but he said "I'm not in my 20s anymore." It's definitely hard work, but they also give great benefits with part-time work and pay overtime if you work more than 6 hours. Entry level is only part-time, but most everybody starts as a package handler. They hire most of their drivers and supervisors from the package handlers. I think they want everyone in the company to have that experience.

Summer 2001--we met in Manzanillo, Mexico

10/02--129F submitted (We had 1 RFE)

7/03--Interview in Ciudad Juarez

2/15/04--Married

4/2/04--AOS submitted

8/23/04--Interview in Chula Vista, CA (approved pending name check)

5 EADs, 3 APs, multiple Senators' inquiries and infopass appts, 2 AOS biometrics,

and one move to Seattle later...

3/3/08--AOS Biometrics renewal in Seattle

6/9/08--10 year green card arrived in the mail. My husband is no longer in immigration limbo and is a realio, trulio permanent resident! It says he's been a resident since 04/17/2008.

1/17/11--Apply for Citizenship

Timeline

Wow, thats pretty good! I am hoping my husband can get a job doing something that doesnt require him to work weekends. Most entry jobs require the weekends. But since I work 40+ hours during the week our weekends will be the only full time together. He wants to go to school too, so I am thinking he has to find something to work with his school schedule too.

My husband has a college degree but started from scratch here. In the first couple of years he worked as dishwasher, as a cashier at a money wiring place and as security. He's now a barista at starbucks and loves it. He's very social and his favorite job was as a bartender (He bartended to get through college). I told him that a barista is a Seattle bartender. :hehe: Great benefits even for part-time.

He has a college degree and still had to start off entry? What was his degree in..if I may ask?

My husband started out entry level because of his English even though he'd gone to college.

I'd recommend UPS to avoid weekend work. My husband worked at UPS for a few months last winter but he said "I'm not in my 20s anymore." It's definitely hard work, but they also give great benefits with part-time work and pay overtime if you work more than 6 hours. Entry level is only part-time, but most everybody starts as a package handler. They hire most of their drivers and supervisors from the package handlers. I think they want everyone in the company to have that experience.

You ain't never lied about UPS being hard work. Everyone I know whos worked there said it was tough. My brother actually is only 25 and now has bad knees and had surgery on them from all the lefting at UPS. Thats scary.

housewife

:rofl::rofl: hahaha, do you pay her? :bonk:

:ot2:

You ain't never lied about UPS being hard work. Everyone I know whos worked there said it was tough. My brother actually is only 25 and now has bad knees and had surgery on them from all the lefting at UPS. Thats scary.

housewife

:rofl: i expect that reply bro ;)

I'm the housewife ;) hahahaha

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

My husband started in carpet cleaning/repairing where he learned a lot about working in the U.S., but it was a Brazilian company so he worked a lot, was paid poorly, and didn't learn English.

He worked in a couple of restaurants but didn't like those since he worked with a lot of illegal immigrants who only spoke to him in Spanish.

Now he works for a distributing company and after 3 months has received 2 pay raises and is the associate manager. The only downside is that business is slow, but his boss has promised to give him 40 hours a week because he doesn't want to lose him. This is not my husband's dream job, but it's ok for now. He is studying English and working hard to improve that. He is also gaining a lot of experience at this job, and like many mention, it's good to stay at one job for awhile - I ask that my husband do that and he agrees (for at least a year). In the meantime he practices only English at work, and that is what he really wanted. Also, this job only hires people that are documented, so he doesn't need to worry about illegals asking him all kind of questions about marrying an American, having a GC, etc.

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

I'm pretty sure that my degree nor my work experience (in a totally different field) in my country was not the major reason I got my current job.

The degree was only to satisfy one requirement, for the HR to accept my resume. That's about it. I was told later on by the director of my dept. that US experience is what most US companies are looking for. I asked why they hired me against more qualified and more US-experienced applicants. He said that they were looking for someone who can be trained and is passionate about learning, and that I was simply lucky.

Anyways, I never had previous experience with formulation and research and development of personal care and household products. I was totally lost on my first day you can just imagine how nervous I was and how "small" I felt against my peers. I opted to apply just for the heck of it. My job title is Scientist I. I am glad I did not limit my options for jobs before.

Good luck to your husband.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

My husband is a package handler at FedEx, however, after talking to a UPS driver, I think shortly he'll switch to UPS because of the benefits. But we want to wait until after we go on vacation so he won't have to ask for two weeks off. Plus, as others mentioned, there is more upward mobility available at UPS than FedEx.

He's young and strong, but we do go through a lot of Ben Gay. Alas, you do what you have to.

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

Timeline

housewife

:rofl: i expect that reply bro ;)

I'm the housewife ;) hahahaha

haha, I'm the wife too. I was asking cause I want my husabnd to find a job so I can be a housewife, too!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.