39 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
The law says you are supposed to have it with you at all times. I guess if you are in an area that the local police aren't trained in immigration law you don't have to worry too much. If you are in an area where the police are cracking down on illegal immigrants then you are taking a risk by not carrying it with you. I know I would be very angry with the police if they detained my wife for not having her proper papers with her. I have seen too many stories in our local paper about police stopping people for any reason and asking if they have papers proving they are here legally. Our own mayor has publically stated that he told the local police to do what ever it takes to get all illegals out of our city. Ice cruises around with the local police also and help them looks for potential illegals.

If you have State ID, how would they differentiate you as a LPR from a regular citizen?

I would like to know the answer to this as well.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline
The law says you are supposed to have it with you at all times. I guess if you are in an area that the local police aren't trained in immigration law you don't have to worry too much. If you are in an area where the police are cracking down on illegal immigrants then you are taking a risk by not carrying it with you. I know I would be very angry with the police if they detained my wife for not having her proper papers with her. I have seen too many stories in our local paper about police stopping people for any reason and asking if they have papers proving they are here legally. Our own mayor has publically stated that he told the local police to do what ever it takes to get all illegals out of our city. Ice cruises around with the local police also and help them looks for potential illegals.

If you have State ID, how would they differentiate you as a LPR from a regular citizen?

If you can talk and look like every other local then they probably wouldn't ask but if not then they might ask.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

If you can talk and look like every other local then they probably wouldn't ask but if not then they might ask.

Does that mean they would ask all persons in the vehicle, and if you are a US citizen and can't prove that i.e., you don't carry a birth certificate or passport what happens to them?

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Timeline

Does that mean they would ask all persons in the vehicle, and if you are a US citizen and can't prove that i.e., you don't carry a birth certificate or passport what happens to them?

The could detain you if they chose to until you could prove citizenship or legal status. They typically do this to hispanics but have read a few articles around the country where people from other countries have been detained until status is proven.

Isn't it a misdemeanor if you don't have it on you?
Who checks?

Police are perfectly satisfied with state issued ID like driver's license, and if you apply for a job, employers are also satisfied by state ID, and SSN card without the "With DHS auth" notation, per form I-9.

Anyway again we carry it when traveling and may encounter DHS personnel like at airports.

Does someone need to get a new SSC after receiving the GC? :unsure:

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.

Prov. 3:3

REMOVING OF CONDITION

08/02/2010 I-751 sent with K2 & my son

08/12/2010 Check cashed

08/06/2010 NOA (received 08/16/2010)

08/18/2010 My son's check was cashed

09/27/2010 Biometrics appointment

10/26/2010 APPROVED

11/1/2010 10yrs GC in the mail

Timeline
Who checks?

Police are perfectly satisfied with state issued ID like driver's license, and if you apply for a job, employers are also satisfied by state ID, and SSN card without the "With DHS auth" notation, per form I-9.

Anyway again we carry it when traveling and may encounter DHS personnel like at airports.

No you are only issued one number but you may want you name changed on it if you got married.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Who checks?

No you are only issued one number but you may want you name changed on it if you got married.

Also the "work authorization" disclaimer needs to be removed.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Name is already changed, so when i receive the GC i have to go back to the SSO and get the "work authorization" thing removed right?

Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.

Prov. 3:3

REMOVING OF CONDITION

08/02/2010 I-751 sent with K2 & my son

08/12/2010 Check cashed

08/06/2010 NOA (received 08/16/2010)

08/18/2010 My son's check was cashed

09/27/2010 Biometrics appointment

10/26/2010 APPROVED

11/1/2010 10yrs GC in the mail

Timeline

Boys and Girls,

Since here in the lone star state, in order to get a Driver License you need to show a valid SSN, I do not need to carry my beloved GC at all times. I don't want to pay 300+ in case i loose my wallet.

peace

and to the poster above, yes you need to get a new SS Card w/o that legend

Edited by GueraYTavo

05/01/08 Green Card in mailbox!!

06/05/10 Real GREEN Card RECEIVED!

01/17/13 Sent application for US Citizenship!!!

01/19/13 Arrived to Arizona Lockbox

01/24/13 Notice of Action

01/25/13 Check cashed

01/28/13 NOA received by mail and biometrics letter mailed as per uscis.gov

02/14/13 Biometrics appointment

03/18/13 In-line for inteview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.