stephandmuz

port of entry question.....

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello everyone...

I have a quick question. Muz and I made entry into the states from Canada on Thursday(We drove across into couts Montana). Our experience was absolutely horrible. We were treated as if we were common criminals by a female border patrol guard. I'll write more about our experience when I have more time.

Our concern is this...

After Muz's visa was activated, I ask the guard what exactly would happen to the packet that the consulate had given muz. (the white packet that was habded over at the border)

The guard stated that the packet would sat there at the port of entry. I was schocked. I was under the impression that it would be sent to our local office? california service center? Anywhere but being kept there?

what exactly happens to the packet that is surrenedered at the border? If it does end up staying at the port of entry, what will happen when we go to adjust status?

Thanks

Steph and Muz

It is supposed to be forwarded to CIS, so they will have it on file when you submit your AoS application. There have been cases where they've been lost, but your CBP officer was probably just being a _____ and wanted to make you worry...

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Timeline
Hello everyone...

I have a quick question. Muz and I made entry into the states from Canada on Thursday(We drove across into couts Montana). Our experience was absolutely horrible. We were treated as if we were common criminals by a female border patrol guard. I'll write more about our experience when I have more time.

Our concern is this...

After Muz's visa was activated, I ask the guard what exactly would happen to the packet that the consulate had given muz. (the white packet that was habded over at the border)

The guard stated that the packet would sat there at the port of entry. I was schocked. I was under the impression that it would be sent to our local office? california service center? Anywhere but being kept there?

what exactly happens to the packet that is surrenedered at the border? If it does end up staying at the port of entry, what will happen when we go to adjust status?

Thanks

Steph and Muz

What happens if the packet is never shipped to our local office? What if it stays at the port of entry, like she stated that it would?

Any help or info will be appreciated..

Thanks

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

The USCIS will put out a tracer.... If it never is found, the worst that can happen to you I believe is a request for a redo of the medical.

YMMV

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
The USCIS will put out a tracer.... If it never is found, the worst that can happen to you I believe is a request for a redo of the medical.

The officer probably just doesn't know anything past where they place the envelope at the end of their shift. If you have concerns, contact the in charge officer at the POE directly.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Was it a smaller POE office? I had a somewhat similar 'bad' experience when I tried to activate my K-1 at Marine City, Michigan. I had gone to the border station the week before to confirm I could activate the K-1 there and was told by the border official there (male ) yes. When we arrived to activate it, the woman now on duty refused to do so. She said that they don't know what to do with the envelope and so they don't activate them. No matter how much we 'discussed' it, she refused, so we were forced to return to Canada, go to another border crossing (Port Huron) and activate the visa there. The border official we talked to there said that yes, Marine City should have been able to activate the visa when we had applied there and had no idea why the woman said what she did. I suspect you just ran across an inexperienced official, especially if it was a smaller crossing station, and there will be another officer who is experienced enough in procedures to know what to do with the envelope. Definitely follow Pushbrk's advice and contact the officer in charge at the POE as a follow up.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

The officer probably just doesn't know anything past where they place the envelope at the end of their shift. If you have concerns, contact the in charge officer at the POE directly.

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

One last question...

If the packet is not shipped to USICS or if it is lost, will my fiance not be able to get a socal security number? How does all of this affect the social security number?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for the advice everyone!!!

One last question...

If the packet is not shipped to USICS or if it is lost, will my fiance not be able to get a socal security number? How does all of this affect the social security number?

We live in a world of computers.... The paperwork is backup to entries made in the database.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

I would write and complain the mis-information and the way in which you were treated and voice your concern about your paperwork. The process is hard enough without having to deal with inexperienced, uneducated and rude people.

On a happy note... congratulations and welcome to the U.S. :)

timeline.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Was it a smaller POE office? I had a somewhat similar 'bad' experience when I tried to activate my K-1 at Marine City, Michigan. I had gone to the border station the week before to confirm I could activate the K-1 there and was told by the border official there (male ) yes. When we arrived to activate it, the woman now on duty refused to do so. She said that they don't know what to do with the envelope and so they don't activate them. No matter how much we 'discussed' it, she refused, so we were forced to return to Canada, go to another border crossing (Port Huron) and activate the visa there. The border official we talked to there said that yes, Marine City should have been able to activate the visa when we had applied there and had no idea why the woman said what she did. I suspect you just ran across an inexperienced official, especially if it was a smaller crossing station, and there will be another officer who is experienced enough in procedures to know what to do with the envelope. Definitely follow Pushbrk's advice and contact the officer in charge at the POE as a follow up.

Good ol' Marine City...we had crummy experiences there last summer too. Inconsistencies between officers and misinformation that set us back a month in the filing process (we were given incorrect info on the fee amount...it was changing soon so they told us to send the new increased fee...app sent back requesting correct fee...at least they were honest about it eh?) I've spent many hours in their little parking lot in the baking sun!!

3/5/11 sent LOC paperwork

3/9/11 date of NOA

?/?/?? biometrics appointment

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.