endoftheroad

Internet at home

18 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: China
Timeline

We made this deal. I would get them (her and daughter, both newbies to computers and the web) a laptop if they would get Internet installed in their house.

So I brought an XP-loaded laptop w/webcam etc. to China and today she has the installer setting up the web at her home. HOORAY!

When I brought the laptop I had a Chinese tech fix it up so it was all Chinese language. He even spent about four hours instructing her to use it, Yahoo heavy. MyYahoo Home Page, Messenger, Mail, translator pages, etc.

We have been using Yahoo Messenger via her local web cafe for a while now so she has that experience with voice and cam. When I was there we practised from the hotel room to the lobby.

At last we will be able to spend much more time together via the web. I am so happy that this will be much easier for her. I am also covertly training her about email (heh-heh) so that we will have a more diversified papertrail.

Yes, we still telephone every day but that is about to dramatically drop.

Other more saavy Internetters here may chuckle, but some of us older folks are still implementing this new-fangled web thing. Today, add us to the list of converted! :)

If anyone else would like to add their story of web conversion so we don't appear as freaks, please do so!

moving right along

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
We made this deal. I would get them (her and daughter, both newbies to computers and the web) a laptop if they would get Internet installed in their house.

So I brought an XP-loaded laptop w/webcam etc. to China and today she has the installer setting up the web at her home. HOORAY!

When I brought the laptop I had a Chinese tech fix it up so it was all Chinese language. He even spent about four hours instructing her to use it, Yahoo heavy. MyYahoo Home Page, Messenger, Mail, translator pages, etc.

We have been using Yahoo Messenger via her local web cafe for a while now so she has that experience with voice and cam. When I was there we practised from the hotel room to the lobby.

At last we will be able to spend much more time together via the web. I am so happy that this will be much easier for her. I am also covertly training her about email (heh-heh) so that we will have a more diversified papertrail.

Other more saavy Internetters here may chuckle, but some of us older folks are still implementing this new-fangled web thing. Today, add us to the list of converted! :)

If anyone else would like to add their story of web conversion so we don't appear as freaks, please do so!

awe congratulations that will make ur ability to see each other and talk so much easier......i knew about the web because my business has to do with the web but i didnt give web cam to anyone until perviz i was very shy about it lol now i look back and think it is the next best thing to being with him........anyways im happy to know ur life will be easier now :thumbs:

Timeline
awe congratulations that will make ur ability to see each other and talk so much easier......i knew about the web because my business has to do with the web but i didnt give web cam to anyone until perviz i was very shy about it lol now i look back and think it is the next best thing to being with him........anyways m happy to know ur life will be easier now :thumbs:
I am showing the older folks in my family that think the image phone is still a "space-age" thing when it is a reality.

moving right along

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Great idea.

I wish we had done something like that when we were seperated.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Timeline
Great idea.

I wish we had done something like that when we were seperated.

With tech today, as long as you have high-speed access then image/voice is free. Oh how just hearing her voice and seeing her face makes a difference in my day.

moving right along

Timeline
My son is taking a web-cam equipped computer to his wife on his upcoming visit. It sure would have been nice to have all this time
Yes we have to take advantage of it before they find a way to stop us from using it for free.

moving right along

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
My son is taking a web-cam equipped computer to his wife on his upcoming visit. It sure would have been nice to have all this time
Yes we have to take advantage of it before they find a way to stop us from using it for free.

Only fools or rare users pay for domestic long distance anymore and calling China is two cents a minute. The internet isn't free anyway, so I doubt we'll see anything more than regular changes in access fees. Those may actually go down before they start back up.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Only fools or rare users pay for domestic long distance anymore and calling China is two cents a minute. The internet isn't free anyway, so I doubt we'll see anything more than regular changes in access fees. Those may actually go down before they start back up.

Free as in no additional charges for Yahoo voice through Messenger and other similar services.

moving right along

Timeline

Free as in no additional charges for Yahoo voice through Messenger and other similar services.

Yahoo makes their money on advertising, so there are no charges at all to Yahoo users. You can't have additional charges when there are no charges to begin with. Yahoo and other VOIP providers did and/or do pay dearly for the technology though.

When I was in high school, we used to sell magazines by telling people we'd give them for free if they'd pay the postage. The fact was they paid less than the postage but advertising rates were based on paid circulation. Yahoo and MSN etc. operate on a similar revenue model. They more services they offer you for free, the more traffic their advertisers see, so the more they collect in advertising fees. No need to charge the consumer for services.

Under the magazine model, the assumption was that if the consumer paid, they also read. On the internet, they can track use without collecting money.

Edited by pushbrk

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

One thing you may want to think about is that if you limit your phone calls so as to not have proof that you are in contact with you SO, you may be problems with proof of relationship.

I would use a combination of phone and internet. Yahoo phone out is 1.6 cents per minute

Skype has a deal, buy 2 months at $9.95 per month and get one free up to one year and also has video cam

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscript.../uscanadaworld/

good luck on your journey

comicirsaudit.jpg

I bought my wife a laptop [printer also] and hooked her up with DSL when she was still in the Philippines. Prior to that she used cafes.

Best thing I ever did. She printed out lots of emails, screen prints and chats for the interview besides chatting everyday.

She taught her family how to use it and left it with them and since coming here chats with the family almost daily. Sure helps the homesickness.

Amazing it's been almost 2 years and their PC is still alive and doing well.

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Timeline
The internet isn't free anyway
You can't have additional charges when there are no charges to begin with
I don't understand the point. Yes, we pay to connect to the Internet. Yahoo and the others offer free web-cam and voice connections through their servers. Yes there are little ads on them to support it. As long as we talk and cam computer to computer, we do not pay any more money to use them is my point.

moving right along

Timeline
The internet isn't free anyway
You can't have additional charges when there are no charges to begin with
I don't understand the point. Yes, we pay to connect to the Internet. Yahoo and the others offer free web-cam and voice connections through their servers. Yes there are little ads on them to support it. As long as we talk and cam computer to computer, we do not pay any more money to use them is my point.

The point is you needn't worry about "before they find a way to stop us from using it for free" because the revenue model doesn't include any plans to charge consumers. It's advertising based. Expect Yahoo Messenger with voice and webcam to remain free.

One thing you may want to think about is that if you limit your phone calls so as to not have proof that you are in contact with you SO, you may be problems with proof of relationship.

I would use a combination of phone and internet. Yahoo phone out is 1.6 cents per minute

Skype has a deal, buy 2 months at $9.95 per month and get one free up to one year and also has video cam

http://www.skype.com/allfeatures/subscript.../uscanadaworld/

good luck on your journey

We simply printed logs and sample transcripts of our chat sessions using messenger's archive feature. I also took various screen shots of us talking, some of which included other family members on both sides. Communication is communication. No need to make additional phone calls if you can show evidence of how you communicate regularly.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

i think it a good thing that you set up the computer at her home where you and your fiance to communicate.

either way long distance relationship cost alot of money to communicate, phone internet.

using the internet to communicate is the best way i find, we live in the state we have to paid for our internet usage anyway, why not take advantage of them. phone you can still call, but MSN and yahoo have voice chat and webcam so you can chat to each other either way.

Marriage : 2006-05-17

-------------------------
USCIS Process
-------------------------
I-130 Sent : 2007-06-12
I-130 Approved : 2007-12-05
Status: Take 179 days to complete, because of notarize marriage certificate(RFE).

-----------------------
NVC Process
-----------------------
NVC Received : 2007-12-06
Case Completed at NVC : 2008-03-13 Case Complete Forward to Embassy
Case Left NVC : 2008-03-18
Status: Take 97 days to complete, because of the tax return and w2 (RFE),

-----------------------------
Consulate Process
Consulate Received : 5/12/2008 Eligible for interview, waiting for notice (Per DOS)
Packet 4 Received : 6/11/2008
Interview Date : 7/10/2008 interview at 7:15am (Per DOS)
Blue - Required Overcome. Overcome send 7/24
8/19/2008 Going back to GUZ to get visa stamp
Visa Received : 8/22/2008
US Entry : 10/17/2008 JFK Port of Entry

Citizenship Process

N-400 Filed: 11/25/2012

Interview Date: 1/2013 (Passed)

Ceremony: 03/2013

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.