AubreyJ

Jury Duty Sucks!!!

24 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Oh, want to hear a funny? I have been in Egypt since December and my parents get my mail for me. In January I was called to jury duty. My parents called them and told them I was out of the country and then they proceeded to tell them that IF I was called, and I didn't show that I would be fined!!!! Luckily my parents kept checking and I never did need to show. Good thing! :P

And I've only been here five hours... I've got two and a half days left!!!!!!! I'm not even getting called... I just get to sit in the waiting room. The least they could do is put me on a..drumroll....JURY!! I can only read the same magazines so many times. Lucky for me they have computers so I can catch up on long lost emails and off topic visajourney!! I guess I should be proud to serve my country.. or something......... :whistle:

You are there to judge the person and the LAW itself. Remember that.....

"America's Founders worried that the government they created might someday grow too powerful, and begin to pass laws which would violate the rights of the very people it was intended to protect: ordinary, peaceful, productive folks. But they kept an "ace in the hole", a trump card they believed citizens could use to hold this new, experimental government in check. That ace was the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers.

How a jury can restrain a government? The key is that juries can say "no" to bad laws and to arbitrary and unjust prosecutions. It's true!"

Jury Veto Power

Wow, what planet are you living on?

Jurors who try to "judge the law" are blatantly disregarding the judge's instructions and the entire point of jury service. Believe me, judges are more than capable of doing *their* job, which is to decide when laws are unjust or violate people's rights. Jurors are only there to apply the law (exactly as the judge reads it to them) to whatever facts they determine.

Jurors who try to do what you're advocating can find themselves charged with false swearing (since you have to swear to do exactly what you're told to, which includes NOT "judging the law") and/or contempt of court.

If you want to be a judge, go to law school. If you get called to be a juror, don't try to be a judge.

Bethany (NJ, USA) & Gareth (Scotland, UK)

-----------------------------------------------

01 Nov 2007: N-400 FedEx'd to TSC

05 Nov 2007: NOA-1 Date

28 Dec 2007: Check cashed

05 Jan 2008: NOA-1 Received

02 Feb 2008: Biometrics notice received

23 Feb 2008: Biometrics at Albuquerque ASC

12 Jun 2008: Interview letter received

12 Aug 2008: Interview at Albuquerque DO--PASSED!

15 Aug 2008: Oath Ceremony

-----------------------------------------------

Any information, opinions, etc., given by me are based entirely on personal experience, observations, research common sense, and an insanely accurate memory; and are not in any way meant to constitute (1) legal advice nor (2) the official policies/advice of my employer.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline

According to "Boston Legal", the jury consists of people who weren't smart enough to get out of jury duty!!!

:lol:

I LOVE that show!!! :D

K-1 Timeline

11-29-05: Mailed I-129F Petition to CSC

12-06-05: NOA1

03-02-06: NOA2

03-23-06: Interview Date May 16

05-17-06: K-1 Visa Issued

05-20-06: Arrived at POE, Honolulu

07-17-06: Married

AOS Timeline

08-14-06: Mailed I-485 to Chicago

08-24-06: NOA for I-485

09-08-06: Biometrics Appointment

09-25-06: I-485 transferred to CSC

09-28-06: I-485 received at CSC

10-18-06: AOS Approved

10-21-06: Approval notice mailed

10-23-06: Received "Welcome Letter"

10-27-06: Received 2 yr Green Card

I-751 Timeline

07-21-08: Mailed I-751 to VSC

07-25-08: NOA for I-751

08-27-08: Biometrics Appointment

02-25-09: I-751 transferred to CSC

04-17-09: I-751 Approved

06-22-09: Received 10 yr Green Card

N-400 Timeline

07-20-09: Mailed N-400 to Lewisville, TX

07-23-09: NOA for N-400

08-14-09: Biometrics Appointment

09-08-09: Interview Date Oct 07

10-30-09: Oath Ceremony

11-20-09: Received Passport!!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline

My step mother is a lawyer, and she told me that she never picks the smart ones if she can help it.. that they could ruin your case... :whistle:

10-2004 Meet my one and only

05-05-06 Picked up the VISA

05-22-06 My baby's home! Once day short of a full year apart

08-14-06 Married!!!

02-24-07 Green Card in Hand

07-21-07 The REAL Wedding in Ghana

06-12-08 Our beautiful baby joins our lives :)

Filed: Timeline
Jurors who try to do what you're advocating can find themselves charged with false swearing (since you have to swear to do exactly what you're told to, which includes NOT "judging the law") and/or contempt of court.

Out of curiosity: Was any juror ever successfully prosecuted along those lines?

And I've only been here five hours... I've got two and a half days left!!!!!!! I'm not even getting called... I just get to sit in the waiting room. The least they could do is put me on a..drumroll....JURY!! I can only read the same magazines so many times. Lucky for me they have computers so I can catch up on long lost emails and off topic visajourney!! I guess I should be proud to serve my country.. or something......... :whistle:

You are there to judge the person and the LAW itself. Remember that.....

"America's Founders worried that the government they created might someday grow too powerful, and begin to pass laws which would violate the rights of the very people it was intended to protect: ordinary, peaceful, productive folks. But they kept an "ace in the hole", a trump card they believed citizens could use to hold this new, experimental government in check. That ace was the right to a trial by a jury of one's peers.

How a jury can restrain a government? The key is that juries can say "no" to bad laws and to arbitrary and unjust prosecutions. It's true!"

Jury Veto Power

Wow, what planet are you living on?

Jurors who try to "judge the law" are blatantly disregarding the judge's instructions and the entire point of jury service. Believe me, judges are more than capable of doing *their* job, which is to decide when laws are unjust or violate people's rights. Jurors are only there to apply the law (exactly as the judge reads it to them) to whatever facts they determine.

If you want to be a judge, go to law school. If you get called to be a juror, don't try to be a judge.

The 'judges instructions' or the 'US Constitution' what has precedence? Please get your head out the sand and help your fellow citizens.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

i believe rch99 is talking about jury nullification. it's happened in a few recent cases. here's a definition for such http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

i believe rch99 is talking about jury nullification. it's happened in a few recent cases. here's a definition for such http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

Yup. You just keep it to yourself and vote per the constitution. Don't be a sheep.

"The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies."

Senator Barack Obama
Senate Floor Speech on Public Debt
March 16, 2006

barack-cowboy-hat.jpg
90f.JPG

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

I've never been called for jury duty..

Sept. 27: Filed AOS, EAD and AP

Oct. 6: NOA for AOS, EADand AP received, case was moved from the DC office to MSC

Nov. 23: Biometrics and fingerprint appt.

Nov. 24: AOS and EAD touched

Dec. 3: EAD arrives in the mail!

Sept 19, 2005: E-filed EAD renewal

Sept. 20: I-485 transferred to CSC

Dec 20: RFE notice received

Feb. 13, 2006: RFE received in CSC

Feb. 23: AOS approved