nowee

Got really scared...

29 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Honestly, I don't think he did you any favors by saying to be careful when you drive. What happens if you have an accident? Is there no form of public transportation? It seems awfully risky to me. You were damn lucky.

Anyway, seeing as you weren't arrested, you don't have an arrest record, therefore no record to inform them of. People get stopped all the time to verify ID, etc.

I do think he gave me a huge favor...knowing he fact that I was not arrested... :blush:

Sure he did a huge favor by not arresting, but what I mean is that he didn't advise you to not drive at all, which to me is a wiser. If you get in any kind of accident, it's your fault and you don't have insurance, you are in a in a whole hell of a lot more trouble.

Yes, worry about one form at a time... if you pursue citizenship (thru N-400), that's something you may have to think about again down the line.

Good luck and be careful.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
Well I have a question since he stopped me, when I do have my interview in Juarez do I need to say I got stopped...I mean I did not received a ticket or anything...the only thing he did was type my name in the sheriffs computer for their records.

If asked, you should be truthful. If you choose not to be, that's your choice, of course.

And what is the likelihood the OP would be asked IF he/she had ever been stopped by the police at a random license check?

Very true.

When you fill out your forms, you will have to check off if you have a criminal record. You either do or you don't.

I don't know what forms the OP will be filling out, or for what benefit he will be interviewing.

However, on the N-400, there is a question, worded as follows:

Have you ever been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer for any reason?

Whether the incident narrated by the OP warrants a "yes" or not depends, I suppose, on the precise definition of 'detained'.

You know you have a point...but isn't the N400 apply only to those applying for citizenship? I'm in the process of obtaining legal residence...hmm

That is correct. Like I said, I don't know what benefit you're seeking or what forms you're filling out. Read the forms carefully and use common sense. If in an interview, listen carefully and determine whether disclosure of this incident is expected or not.

And if you choose to purposely lie, be aware of the consequences before you do so.

Yes I will be very cautious on how I read and respond during interviews...I'm guessing that what they really look for is criminal records such felonies...but what ever the case might be, it is always best to be honest....thanks for the useful information..:) Edited by nowee

Filed: Timeline
Yes, worry about one form at a time... if you pursue citizenship (thru N-400), that's something you may have to think about again down the line.

To be clear, my introduction of the N-400 into this discussion was to illustrate the kind of language that may require disclosure of this incident.

Yes I will be very cautious on how I read and respond during interviews...

:thumbs:

Listen carefully, say no more than necessary :)

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline
Honestly, I don't think he did you any favors by saying to be careful when you drive. What happens if you have an accident? Is there no form of public transportation? It seems awfully risky to me. You were damn lucky.

Anyway, seeing as you weren't arrested, you don't have an arrest record, therefore no record to inform them of. People get stopped all the time to verify ID, etc.

I do think he gave me a huge favor...knowing he fact that I was not arrested... :blush:

Sure he did a huge favor by not arresting, but what I mean is that he didn't advise you to not drive at all, which to me is a wiser. If you get in any kind of accident, it's your fault and you don't have insurance, you are in a in a whole hell of a lot more trouble.

Good luck and be careful.

I understand...and thanks :star:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yeah I will soon stop driving...I shouldn't risk something so important...

also, it's questionable if the owner of the vehicle's insurance would cover any accidents should you be involved in one. that too is a good reason not to drive.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
Yeah I will soon stop driving...I shouldn't risk something so important...

also, it's questionable if the owner of the vehicle's insurance would cover any accidents should you be involved in one. that too is a good reason not to drive.

Very true...I mean I now all the consequences that might occur...sometimes its really difficult to travel without driving...going to school and home is not a 5 min drive, so thats why driving was an option.

But seriously I have to get familiar with the metro system because I would rather use public transportation, rather than not being able to approve my case... :blink:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Isle of Man
Timeline

You are lucky you don't live in Michigan, in the area I live in. The police officer would have immediately put you in handcuffs and called a tow truck and impounded the car.

Not trying to scare you though. I have been in similar situations plenty of times. I have had no license and drove, restricted license and drove, and a suspended license and still drove. Sometimes you have to take your chances. One time I got pulled over when my license was suspended and I used my older brothers name, it was the beginning of 2003. He still does not know to this day. I was issued a ticket in my brothers name for running a red light. I sent the ticket in the mail with the fine amount in cash which was somewhere around $180. I would have been in sooo much trouble if I got arrested for driving on a suspended license because I was on probation at the time (I would have for sure done some jail time, without a doubt).

Be very careful on the roads.

Edited by thegreatgate

India, gun buyback and steamroll.

qVVjt.jpg?3qVHRo.jpg?1

Cool cop, no doubt.

I would have no problem with someone driving without a license as long as they were somehow insured in case they got in an accident. If I get hit by someone who isn't insured, I would do everything I could to make sure they paid out their a$$ for being irresponsible. No doubt your intentions are good though...just make sure if you drive without a license that you're covered if you get in an accident.

Save Shpat's threads

69-97-116-32-83-104-105-116-32-74-101-110-110

Timeline
Cool cop, no doubt.

I would have no problem with someone driving without a license as long as they were somehow insured in case they got in an accident. If I get hit by someone who isn't insured, I would do everything I could to make sure they paid out their a$$ for being irresponsible. No doubt your intentions are good though...just make sure if you drive without a license that you're covered if you get in an accident.

I'm going to show my ignorance here because I'm not a driver, but how does one get insured without a license?

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED

Filed: Country: Guatemala
Timeline
Cool cop, no doubt.

I'm going to show my ignorance here because I'm not a driver, but how does one get insured without a license?

It's the vehicle that would be insured, not the person. However, I don't think insurance covers an unlicensed driver.

Don't let the sunshine spoil your rain...just stand up and COMPLAIN!

-Oscar the Grouch

You can buy a policy with a rider specific to uninsured drivers driving the insured vehicle. Most carriers offer, as part of their out of the box offerings, protection against being hit by an uninsured driver. Not protection if an uninsured driver is driving the insured vehicle. You have to ask for it. Best done through a good broker.

Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.

Timeline

OIC

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED