william_wallace

Are you worried????????

17 posts in this topic

As there is thread started on the "Off Topic" forum. Whats UK citizen views on gun law and crime in the US?

I for myself have seen it for myself when I was there in 2005. It did scared the ####### out of me. 3 people shot dead in the same street I lived in. 2 of the woman murdered lived right across for me. It's not an experience I want to see again when I eventually get my visa.

Has anyone else seen or experienced gun crime in America or are you worried about it when you eventually move over?

beach_1_001.jpg

My British husband and I live in Michigan. We moved over this past January after I had spent two and a half years in the UK with them. Neither of us are worried about gun crime here. We live in a nice township outside of Lansing but also work inside Lansing. I would only be worried about it if I lived in Detroit or in a bad neighborhood. In the UK, we lived in Oxford and in Kidlington, a small town outside Oxford. I feel safer here except for when I'm downtown Lansing alone, which feels about the same. Because of the size of the country, to me it seems it's easier to move away from crime in the US.

EDIT - Also, perhaps this more due to differences in reporting, but it seems to me that I heard more about random attacks in the UK than I do here. Most of the crime news I hear here is to do with people committing violent crimes against people they know, which makes me sad but doesn't make me feel unsafe.

Edit again - I should also say I don't mean this to sound like I felt really unsafe in the UK (I didn't, I just feel safer here in our small township)

Edited by MargotDarko

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

I know two people who have been murdered here in the UK, one was my neighbor who was abducted and subjected to a cruel and calculated death and the other was shot through gang related violence. The stories I read everyday when I open the paper scare the life out of me. I worry more about walking down the street here than I do when I'm in the states. I live back at home at the moment but I spent a short time living with an exboyfriend in low income, inner city area, 5 out of 7 days a week we were woken up by armed police raids and in the space of two weeks a policewoman and a 15 year old boy were both shot and killed. On Christmas eve a man broke down the back door with an axe because he thought his girlfriend was hiding in our house, it turned out that he was so out of his mind on drugs he had broken into the wrong house. My brother was out last night in the city and a guy tried to stab him because my brother wouldn't give him his driving license! So many more stories ... Britain is getting out of control.

Alan and I have done a lot of traveling and ok I felt safer in some states than I did others but I was never overly concerned about gun crime, just my safety in general. I know that I can have a gun to protect myself at home and anyone breaking into my home knows that too. I'm not going to get myself into trouble for troubles sake. Plus they have a lot stricter punishments for gun crime in the US than we do here so I would have thought a lot of people think about it more seriously. Our sentencing in the UK is laughable and our prisons luxurious.

It might be a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" but it feels like I can avoid violence a lot better in the states. Alan lives in 'suburbia' and I know better than to go wandering into areas that I don't know and causing trouble. People don't get shot very often for no reason what so ever. I'm not part of a gang and if I have something that someone wants they can have it I'm not going to put up a fight and risk my life. I don't know, it definitely doesn't feel any more dangerous in the states than here in the UK.

Thats just my 2 cents. Am I being super naive?

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

I don't think you're being naive. I'm sorry to hear about all the awful things that have you happened to you and around you in the UK. I am sure you will find that moving from your area in the UK to the suburbs in the US will be a big improvement on how safe you feel. There are definitely cities in the US that are extremely dangerous, and areas where people are shot for no reason, and certainly areas where gun crime is a bigger problem than in most of the UK, but I agree that it's easier to get away from in the US.

I know two people who have been murdered here in the UK, one was my neighbor who was abducted and subjected to a cruel and calculated death and the other was shot through gang related violence. The stories I read everyday when I open the paper scare the life out of me. I worry more about walking down the street here than I do when I'm in the states. I live back at home at the moment but I spent a short time living with an exboyfriend in low income, inner city area, 5 out of 7 days a week we were woken up by armed police raids and in the space of two weeks a policewoman and a 15 year old boy were both shot and killed. On Christmas eve a man broke down the back door with an axe because he thought his girlfriend was hiding in our house, it turned out that he was so out of his mind on drugs he had broken into the wrong house. My brother was out last night in the city and a guy tried to stab him because my brother wouldn't give him his driving license! So many more stories ... Britain is getting out of control.

Alan and I have done a lot of traveling and ok I felt safer in some states than I did others but I was never overly concerned about gun crime, just my safety in general. I know that I can have a gun to protect myself at home and anyone breaking into my home knows that too. I'm not going to get myself into trouble for troubles sake. Plus they have a lot stricter punishments for gun crime in the US than we do here so I would have thought a lot of people think about it more seriously. Our sentencing in the UK is laughable and our prisons luxurious.

It might be a case of "the grass is greener on the other side" but it feels like I can avoid violence a lot better in the states. Alan lives in 'suburbia' and I know better than to go wandering into areas that I don't know and causing trouble. People don't get shot very often for no reason what so ever. I'm not part of a gang and if I have something that someone wants they can have it I'm not going to put up a fight and risk my life. I don't know, it definitely doesn't feel any more dangerous in the states than here in the UK.

Thats just my 2 cents. Am I being super naive?

My Crafting Blog - On a Roll - Blogspot

3179788211_95b93e62af_t.jpg3179788215_6a1e497e9b_t.jpg3165849344_f296789fd3_t.jpg

US Immigration Timeline

-------------------------

24 Feb 2007 - Sent I-130 to London USCIS office (I'm the petitioner)

25 May 2007 - NOA2

2 June 2007 - Received Packet 3

12 Oct 2007 - Sent Packet 3 back by special delivery

5 Nov 2007 - Interview in London - Approved without any hitches!

7 Nov 2007 - Visa and MBE arrived by SMS! :)

30 Jan 2008 - Fly to Michigan!! :)

*Note: Any delays in our case are only due to us taking things slowly

I've never seen a shooting, so I'm not overly worried about it in the US. Bad news is always sensationalized but shootings do happen. I live in a small town, USA and feel pretty safe. I stay out of the bad gang ridden, drug dealing areas of big cities. I think it depends on picking your neighborhood. My town is around 65 years old and only has two murders on the books.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

The only thing that worries me about living in the US is someone using their firearm to defend themselves and the consequences of bullets flying around with just wooden walls between me and them.

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

The only thing that worries me about living in the US is someone using their firearm to defend themselves and the consequences of bullets flying around with just wooden walls between me and them.

In regards to self defense...in my hometown last year a small store owner pulled a gun on a robber and had his gun taken by the thief and was shot and killed with his own gun! I am anti-gun......but here in the US they are gun happy!

Edited by debbylyn

Debbie & Barry

K-1 Timeline:

10-29-2007 Sent I 129-F to CSC

10-31-2007 I 129-F received CSC 9:48 AM

11-02-2007 NOA-1

11-07-2007 check cashed!

11-09-2007 NOA-1 hard copy received

3-11-08 RFE

3-17-08 RFE received by mail

3-22-08 RFE reply sent from England

4-09-08 RFE received CSC case resumed

4-18-08 NOA2 by email (after 172 days)

4-24-08 NOA2 hard copy

5-01-08 NVC received

5-02-08 case forwarded to US Embassy London

5-07-08 received by London Embassy

5-08-08 Packet 3 sent from Embassy

5-15-08 Packet 3 mailed recorded delivery

5-21-08 Packet 3 received US Embassy London

6-02-08 Medical

6-13-08 packet 4 received

7-01-08 Interview London Embassy Approved!

7-04-08 Visa in hand! hurray!

7-13-08 POE Cleveland, OH

9-23-08 (AOS package sent)

9-29-08 NOA received I-485, I-131, I-765

10-21-08 biometrics appt

12-12-08 EAD and AP received by mail!

2-04-2009 AOS approved!

2-12-2009 card received

11-05-2010 I-751 mailed to CSC

11-08-2010 received CS, NOA1 date

12-20-10 biometrics

02-09-11 ROC approved

02-14-11 Greencard received!

In regards to self defense...in my hometown last year a small store owner pulled a gun on a robber and had his gun taken by the thief and was shot and killed with his own gun! I am anti-gun......but here in the US they are gun happy!

I never seen a gun until I went to the USA in 2005. One time I went to New Orleans, went into a bar in Bourbon Street and theres a bloke standing there pish drunk with a gun in a holster #######.

I'm sorry but I ain't a gun fan either.

beach_1_001.jpg

Well, growing up in the States in a fairly rough neighborhood, I would have to say no it doesn't bother me. I grew up with guns in my home (my dad used to hunt with my uncle) and my ex-husband owned guns. My children know guns are not toys and when you use a gun someone could be killed. The thing about gun laws....the people who own guns for respectable reasons follow the laws and the ones that are criminals will find them no matter what. It happens here in the UK. It doesn't matter if they are against the law....they will find a way to get one.

Now, saying that...I am more afraid living here. we don't live too far from that man who went outside to confront some yobs and was beaten to death by some teenage punks. We had 4 drunk teens on our street Friday night (actually 2am Saturday morning) yelling and screaming but NO ONE will confront them as they are terrified of what will happen. The police finally showed up....about 45 minutes later. The McDonalds we ate at in London on Oxford Street when we went for our medical was the seen of a fatal stabbing three days later.

It doesn't matter where you live, senseless violence is EVERYWHERE.

10/26/03 Met in Yahoo chat room
06-2004 Glyn flies to Boston for 2 week holiday with me in White Mountains
06/07/2006- HE PROPOSES!!
12/13/2006- Glyn and Simon the best man fly in for wedding.
December 16,2006- Happiest day of my life
12/25/2006- Best and worst Christmas ever. Glyn flies back to England at 6 pm Christmas Night.
02/19/2007- UK spousal visa approved in NY after only 4 days.
March 2,2007- Reunited in England with Glyn.
01/21/2008-mailed I-130 to USCIS in London
01/24/2008-NOA1
04/13/2008-Panic. RFE received
April 17, 2008-Mailed off again.
April 22, 2008-NOA2 received dated April 21, 2008.
April 26, 2008-Packet 3 received
April 28, 2008-Mailed off DS-230
May06,2008-Packet 3 sent
May 08, 2008-Medical scheduled
May 22,2008-Packet 4 received
June 03,2008-Interview APPROVED!!!!!

June 04, 2008-Visa in hand
June 20, 2008-Shippers come for our things.
June 25, 2008-Flying to the USA
November 15, 2010-Sent off VERY late I-751 along with many prayers.
04/09/2011-10 year GC arrives in mail.
09/08/2011-Glyn leaves for UK
01/30/2012-Biometrics for UK spousal & dependent visas sent out w/ application same day
02/24/2012-UK settlement visas issued

04/16/2013-I-130 sent off-----04/19/2013 NOA1

05/15/2013-NOA2

Never received packet 3 although it was mailed to us on May 29th

07/17/2013-Sent off packet 3 after finally getting ALL our documents together

08/19/2013-Medical scheduled (there were earlier appointments but unfortunately, we couldn't get there for them due to hubby's work)

09/24/2013-Interview APPROVED

11/01/2013-POE BOSTON

01/13/2014-10 Year green card received

03/09/2019- Sent I-130 to Chicago lock box for step-son

03/20/2019- NOA 1

08/10/2019-NOA 2

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I wouldn't say I am overly concerned, but I will be cautious. That said, i already have a gun and my SO is signing me up for a training course to make sure I am proficient and can get a concealed weapons permit.

Better to be safe than sorry I guess.

5th February 2008 - I-129F forms sent for K1 visa (VSC)

26th March 2008 - NOA2 recieved via email

19th May 2008 - Interview............APPROVED!!!!!!

21st May 2008 - Visa in hand

29th July 2008 - POE

2nd September 2008 - Married

19th September - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

25th September - Check cashed $1010.00 (OUCH!!)

29th September - Received NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP

13th October - AOS Petition transferred to CSC!!!

17th October - Biometrics (Tampa Office)

17th October - AOS/EAD Touched

20th October - AOS Touched

21st October - AOS Touched

6th November - AOS/EAD/AP Touched (probably due to change of address)

10th December - EAD approved

28th January 2009 - GC approved without interview. Done with all this till 2011!!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm no more concerned about gun crime than any other sort of crime. I suppose I will feel slightly more anxious about it when we have children... but really, gun, knife, plank of wood... death is death.

I have always lived in the south west in relatively small communities in the UK and in one of the area I lived a guy had his head bashed in with a plank just across the road from me and it was certainly unsafe to be a woman walking anywhere alone at night. My hometown is safer, but even here we have serious drug problems, and a lot of rather disturbing older men having sex with underage teens.

Maybe I don't have to worry about gun crime where I am now, but in my opinion being shot is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. And I don't think I will feel more threatened living in the US, particularly since I will be living in a nice area. I've always been very safety conscious, so nothing much will change attitude wise.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

I'm no more concerned about gun crime than any other sort of crime. I suppose I will feel slightly more anxious about it when we have children... but really, gun, knife, plank of wood... death is death.

I have always lived in the south west in relatively small communities in the UK and in one of the area I lived a guy had his head bashed in with a plank just across the road from me and it was certainly unsafe to be a woman walking anywhere alone at night. My hometown is safer, but even here we have serious drug problems, and a lot of rather disturbing older men having sex with underage teens.

Maybe I don't have to worry about gun crime where I am now, but in my opinion being shot is not the worst thing that can happen to a person. And I don't think I will feel more threatened living in the US, particularly since I will be living in a nice area. I've always been very safety conscious, so nothing much will change attitude wise.

In my opinion guns do more damage than a knife or piece of wood. Virginia Tech Massacre and the Columbine School gives an example of the amount of weapons that was used. To me it's like living in the Wild West, it will never change.

We also have to take in account the amount of people that have been killed with registered guns, not just the illegal ones.

beach_1_001.jpg

Timeline
In my opinion guns do more damage than a knife or piece of wood. Virginia Tech Massacre and the Columbine School gives an example of the amount of weapons that was used. To me it's like living in the Wild West, it will never change.

We also have to take in account the amount of people that have been killed with registered guns, not just the illegal ones.

I understand your view and it is a legitimate concern, however, on an individual basis, if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time any weapon - even a piece of wood (as per the example of someone who had his head bashed in during a house party across the road from where I used to live in a small seaside town) - can prove fatal to you as an individual. Now call me selfish, but if I'm dead I'm not going to be much concerned about whether it was a bullet or a brutal stabbing or a baseball bat or whatever... nor will it matter to me personally if I was the only victim or one of many.

I suppose if I was going to move into the middle of some kind of gang warfare zone it would be more of an issue, but even then there are areas in this country where things are almost as bad and all you can do is be sensible about your movements and keep your awareness levels high. Perhaps as a woman I've always worried more about my personal safety but I really see no reason to be any more concerned about it in the area I will be living than I would feel in a south western city here - I can't really speak for the rest of the UK as I've never lived anyplace else.

Settling into married life

Waiting on the EAD, AP, and AOS

Timeline

Hmm...honestly it all depends on where you live. I live in a relatively low crime northside Chicago neighborhood, but if you go to the south or west side it's a totally different story. This year alone 23 Chicago Public School students have been murdered in gun/gang related crimes on or near school property. There is definitly a problem...guns are only the tip of the iceberg. When it comes down to it the root of the problem is poverty.

However, I grew up in rural Nebraska where nearly everyone has a gun...in fact my grandma used to sleep with one under her pillow! Hunting was part of the culture and I see nothing wrong with gun ownership for sport. There have been murders in the small town I'm from, but growing up there I never felt unsafe unless I stepped onto someone's property who liked to exercise his second amendment right!

However, I don't see the need for anyone to own a semi-automatic or fully automatic weapon.

I'm sorry to hear about your terrible experience William Wallace...it is totally understandable why you would feel pretty nervous about gun crime over here!

wtf-picard.jpg

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

America is just like anywhere else. You must be careful everywhere you go. The whole world is a dangerous place.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.