william_wallace

Are you worried????????

17 posts in this topic

I feel a lot more safe in New Haven than in London. New Haven developed a horrible (and mostly undeserved) reputation for being a dangerous city and suffered from tragic white flight in the 80s. I never had any idea what people were talking about when they asked me if I felt at risk from gun crime in New Haven; we didn't own guns, didn't know anybody who owned guns, and lived in a fairly nice middle class neighbourhood. Even downtown always felt pretty safe to me. Both my mom and dad have had guns shoved in their faces (my mom was carjacked in the early 90s; my dad was mugged in the mid 70s), but I didn't even see a gun close up until I visited my aunt in San Diego -- she's a sheriff's deputy out there -- and it was just on her dresser. It freaked me out!

In London, especially in the last 5 or 6 years I was there, there were numerous times I felt at risk of attack. None of these were in places people would normally associate with crime, like Clapton or Tottenham. I was threatened with being thrown on the tracks at Greenwich railway station because I wouldn't flirt with a drunk guy. A guy on a bus going through Highbury said he hoped I would die a painful death when I didn't get out of his way fast enough. A girl on the Central line threw wadded up paper at me for 4 stops in Central London. And more frottage than I care to even remember. It goes on and on... And that's just me. I have friends who have been punched out in Leicester Square for no reason, spat on by schoolgirls on the number 24 bus, jumped in Plumstead for a motorscooter, slipped mickeys in fancy bars.

This is not to say America is safer than the UK, or vice versa. But I'll echo some other sentiments here: the violence -- threatened or real -- seems far more random over there. In America, or at least in New Haven, as long as I keep out of "problem" areas I stand a good chance of never being a victim of crime.

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

Filed: Timeline

I would certainly say that in my experience, the UK has a much worse situation when it comes to crime.

I live in a beautiful town in Cornwall, and there are tons of criminals here .... not just your petty ones .... the real dangerous ones! .... they split their time between Spain and here in Cornwall, so I grew up with it.

I have had a gun to my head .... the police did nothing!!!!

I've been violently attacked .... the police did nothing !!!!!

.... the list goes on ..... and not just in Cornwall.

If I was in the US and had to endure some of the crimes I've had to in England, the perpetrators would at least be repremanded.

It comes down to the police here .... and they are truly corrupt (as they are in a lot of places).

If you want to commit a crime .... come to Cornwall, you won't get touched.

This county has always been full of pirates, and still is.

London, the last time I checked was high in the top 10 of dangerous cities in the world (number 4 at one point if I recall correctly) ..... New York was nowhere to be seen on that top 10 list.

Plus we now have the pleasure of terrorist nail bombs .... nice! (highly sarcastic tone) .... and now they've decided to start on the South West .... #######!!!!

Days out shopping will never be the same.

England is no longer the safe little haven it used to be where everyone drank tea and talked about the weather.

If it's not the IRA, it's some other form of rubbish we Brits have to endure ..... and until they crack down and do something about it, it will get worse.

Giving paedophiles 5 years max (if they're very unlucky) .... is not a good image either.

In the US, I've never had any issues .... the laws are strong, and maybe to the extreme in some cases, but, if you really tot up how much the US has had to endure of it's time as a country, I do believe the UK is way worse.

Plus as it's a smaller country, it's more difficult to get away from it.

9/11 was really the only time the US had to totally face a terrorist enemy .... yet, it wasn't that long ago that the UK started to put dustbins back on the streets, after the IRA used them a lot for their bombings.

Fear of guns??? spend a few nights out on the town in Birmingham, Leicester, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Bristol etc ...... and guns won't be something you'll be afraid of .....

At least with a gun, if they haven't shot you immediately .... the chances are .... they won't.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.