Kindheart

Legal Separation after Green Card

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I want to asked about legal separation. Just got my green card this May 1, 2008 the effectivity will be on June 3, 2008. I want to file for legal separation between me and my husband. I'm from Michigan, can I file legal separation when I'm in California or should it be file here in Michigan before I leave?

What is the best way for me to do because our marriage is not good I don't know what to do. I want to work in other State (California) where my relatives are. I don't have future with my husband too many to mention but I want to get out of this relationship and to this house and start my new life.

Divorce is not on my list that's why legal separation is what I thought. Can I do that? Please advise me what will I do. I need to get out of this relationship and leave because our relationship won't work.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
:time:

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Hi,

I want to asked about legal separation. Just got my green card this May 1, 2008 the effectivity will be on June 3, 2008. I want to file for legal separation between me and my husband. I'm from Michigan, can I file legal separation when I'm in California or should it be file here in Michigan before I leave?

What is the best way for me to do because our marriage is not good I don't know what to do. I want to work in other State (California) where my relatives are. I don't have future with my husband too many to mention but I want to get out of this relationship and to this house and start my new life.

Divorce is not on my list that's why legal separation is what I thought. Can I do that? Please advise me what will I do. I need to get out of this relationship and leave because our relationship won't work.

Did you get a conditional green card? If you did, it might raise a red flag when you try to remove the conditions that you separated so soon.

Removing Conditions

07/31/2010 - Filed for Removal of Conditions (I-751)

08/02/2010 - ROC Packet received

08/03/2010 - NOA notice date for I-751

08/05/2010 - Check cashed

08/07/2010 - NOA received for I-751

08/13/2010 - Biometrics appointment letter received

09/01/2010 - Biometrics taken

09/01/2010 - Case status appears online

11/08/2010 - Card production ordered

11/13/2010 - I-751 Approval Letter received

11/19/2010 - Green Card received in the mail

Citizenship

08/01/2011 - Filed for Citizenship (N-400)

08/03/2011 - N400 Packet received

08/05/2011 - Received email/text confirming application receipt

08/08/2011 - Check cashed

08/09/2011 - Biometrics notice sent

08/12/2011 - NOA received for N400

08/12/2011 - Biometrics appointment letter received

08/29/2011 - Biometrics taken

08/31/2011 - Case Status Notification: Placed in line for interview scheduling

10/11/2011 - Received yellow letter

01/11/2012 - Interview letter sent

01/17/2012 - Interview letter received

02/16/2012 - Interview & received Oath letter

03/06/2012 - Oath ceremony

You will have problems removing conditions unless he divorces you and you have proof the marriage was in "good faith". Also if you have evidence of physical or mental abuse.

You obviously will not have proof of a bonafide marriage at that time!

Edited by Haole

K1 denied, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption, US citizenship and dual citizenship

!! ALL PAU!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
You will have problems removing conditions unless he divorces you and you have proof the marriage was in "good faith". Also if you have evidence of physical or mental abuse.

You obviously will not have proof of a bonafide marriage at that time!

She needs to show that she entered the marriage in good faith but it doesn't matter who divorces whom. I don't think a legal separation would allow removing conditions on her own. She may need a divorce to do it. Good question.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

I'm looking at the "effective date" on the card and thinking the OP is talking about a 10 year green card.

Please fill in your timeline.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
Hi,

In many states there is not a recognized "legal" separation. The best advice is to investigate the family law of your state of residence.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.