malego77

How long after your K1 visa arrival did you get a job?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

I had my EAD since 2 months ago. Nobody of the places that I applied has offered me job :blush:

Am I being too desesperate? Or Am I in the "normal time" that it usually takes to get a job under my arrival conditions...

Edited by malego77

It really depends on the job market where you are located, and the positions you are looking for.

I read somewhere that it takes about 6 months for someone new to the US to find the right employment.

With the economy as bad as it is, virtually everyone (regardless of status) is having a rough time finding employment.

My advice is to not aim too high, and maybe take a lower paying or less desireable job just to get your foot in the door. That will also bring in some money while you continue the search for a long-term job.

Good Luck.

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

I started my new job yesterday. It took me 6 months and 1 day, but I was holding out for a job in my field. I could have got a job straight away stacking shelves or cooking fast food, but I wanted time to take a career break after ,oving and get to know my area and new family.

Edited by RaTBoX

K-1 Visa Process.

===========

See my timeline

AOS Process

========

01/23/08 - AOS Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

01/25/08 - NOA1 for I-485, I-765 and I-131

02/15/08 - Biometrics for I-485 and I-765

02/18/08 - I-485 transferred to CSC

02/21/08 - I-485 & I-765 touched

03/11/08 - I-131 approved

03/18/08 - I-765 approved

03/19/08 - EAD arrives

03/20/08 - AP arrives

03/27/08 - I-485 touched

04/11/08 - I-485 touched (case received at CSC)

04/13/08 - I-485 touched

06/07/08 - I-551 Card production ordered

06/13/08 - Welcome Letter arrives

06/16/08 - I-551 Card arrives

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

malego - your English is weak (grammar mistakes and misspellings) - if this is how your resume is written and if this is how you talk, then many employers would reject you depending on the 'communication level' needed for most routine office jobs. You could enroll in a school, improve your English and take courses in a field that you are interested in to try to get a career path. And in the meantime you could take a part-time or minimum wages job to help support the household.

Many employers consider us foreigners to be less intelligent because of our level of English, even though my English was superior - it wasn't the American English they are used to - once you can talk like them and they understand you easily, then you are good to go. Since you are form Mexico, you could also find a place of work where Spanish is needed or spoken. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Timeline

Yeah. All of you are right!

I'm taking English classes. In my homecountry I was studying English too. My teacher here in US told me that my level of English was so good and I feel a little proud of it, however I know that it isn't the best! But I'm in the way to learn more about it...

I know that it isn't enough to learn English if you don't have experience talking with English natives or other people. Actually I want to get a job to start learning more, I mean practice and practice!

Also I think that most of the employer won't hire someone who never has been working in US (my case :unsure:)

When I have applied for job I put that it will be Ok 8-9 dollars per hour do you think that I'm too ambitious??

I have applied in stores like Walmart, Brookshire, Albertson for stocker, cashier and another positions but nobody contacts me yet. It's almost 2 months since this... :o

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Try looking for work at an nursing home or assisted living center or a senior center. There are people there that will talk your ears off and let you talk to them. Even if you volunteer it will help your english and get you exposure which could lead to a lead for a job.

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
Yeah. All of you are right!

I'm taking English classes. In my homecountry I was studying English too. My teacher here in US told me that my level of English was so good and I feel a little proud of it, however I know that it isn't the best! But I'm in the way to learn more about it...

I know that it isn't enough to learn English if you don't have experience talking with English natives or other people. Actually I want to get a job to start learning more, I mean practice and practice!

Also I think that most of the employer won't hire someone who never has been working in US (my case :unsure:)

When I have applied for job I put that it will be Ok 8-9 dollars per hour do you think that I'm too ambitious??

I have applied in stores like Walmart, Brookshire, Albertson for stocker, cashier and another positions but nobody contacts me yet. It's almost 2 months since this... :o

Hi Malego,

my thoughts to you as someone who has been a manger at multiple resteraunts and am now a manager at an office. Is to be persitant, don't wait for them to call you back. You have to call them, wait a couple of days after you have applied and start calling and asking them if they have had a chance to review your application. If they answer yes and tell you they have hired someone else or that the postion is no longer open. Wait a month or so and call them back again to check if anything has opened up. You have to call, call, call, it shows that you are truly interested in the job. Not many jobs are going to call you, if you have only filled out the appliaction because many applicants have filled out applications and called to check on the status. These are the people who get hired. Grammar (mine is horrible but I have always had a job) and the amount of money ($8 or $9 hourly is a very fair request) you ask for shouldn't matter that much for the positions you are applying for (entry level). Be persitant, "the squeeky wheel gets the oil" (a famous english saying). Good luck and don't give up.

Timeline
Try looking for work at an nursing home or assisted living center or a senior center. There are people there that will talk your ears off and let you talk to them. Even if you volunteer it will help your english and get you exposure which could lead to a lead for a job.

That's a good advice! I would try it.

Timeline

Hi. I hadn't thought about start calling future amployers. I thought that I'll need to wait and wait... But it's sound very helpful. Some friends told me about going to the place and look for the manager or someone from Human Resources. Every time that I have tried it they only told me "You must apply and wait for a call" But I think that obey that has been a big mistake from me!! I have the desire, now like you say I need to be persistant...

Edited by malego77

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Sometimes the path to a good job isn't obvious. Years ago my best friend came here from Nigeria. He has a degree in chemical engineering but couldn't find work here because he isn't a citizen. His first job was working bussing trays a school lunch room . He got his teaching certification and work has continued to pay for his education when he wants. He is also making over 80k a year as a special needs teacher. So he went from part time min wage to 80 k with about 1/2 the summer off.

Edited by Sylvia_n_Joseph

First visit:2007-09-12 to 2008-09-23

I-129F Sent : 2007-11-24

I-129F NOA1 : 2007-11-30

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-03-31

NVC Received : 2008-04-21

NVC Left : 2008-04-23

Consulate Received : 2008-04-28

Packet 3 Received : 2008-05-20

Interivew date : 2008-08-07 CO asks inappropraite questions

His father died: 2008-08-18

Retain Marc Ellis 2008-09

Visited Nigeria again: 2008-11-12

petitioned returned to CSC :2008-11-27

returned to USA 2008-12-13

His father buried 2009-01-03

picks up K1 visa Nov 2009

Marriage Dec 2009

take throne as Igwe /Lolo 2010 or 2011

Timeline

Before I came here, I thought that the process to get a job in USA would be easy but now by the facts, I see that thought was wrong. I have a master degree in Pharmacy in my homecountry, but I don't have any work experience on that area. I know that in order to work here in a related job I need a certification first (but it costs and I need to have some money first).

I don't know if when I apply for a job, not related with my career area, and I mentioned that I have that school degree. It fact could leave me out of the competition. Because of the employer can think "If she has that degree why is she applying for that job?"

That only is one of my thoughts of millions of them about the reason for I don't get a job yet...

More suggestions are really appreciated.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
I had my EAD since 2 months ago. Nobody of the places that I applied has offered me job :blush:

Am I being too desesperate? Or Am I in the "normal time" that it usually takes to get a job under my arrival conditions...

don't ever get discouraged, that's all.. it really depends.. just never give up.. try applying online too like at walmart and places like that.. how is the transportation system where you are.. i know here in birmingham, it sucks... but i will help my husband in any way i can.. like i said never give up :luv:

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

Timeline

Hi. This week I went to talk with the stores' managers where I applied for a job... They told me that there are thousands of applicants and that I need wait and wait for a call... Anyway I keep trying.

Most of my job applications are online, I think that they don't review those online applications but I have to believe on them and be patient.

The transportation system isn't as good as I want that it will be. I have my "own" car, for now it isn't a limitation.

It's so hard because I thought on myself working very soon but it is another thing that it isn't as I thought... :o

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.