BMJ

Traveling after Marriage

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Xaos and I plan to get married in October, and are praying that all the paperwork will be finished by then (I sure would hate to start this whole process over again if it doesn't all go through in time). Sadly his mother has health issues that will not allow her to fly to the states to our wedding. Because his sister and brother have had to help get her to medical appointments they have missed as much work as they are allowed and will not be able to fly here either. While we will have plenty of friends at the wedding it isn't the same. I will end up marrying Xaos (Mark) without ever having met his family.

One of the things we talked about was flying back to England about a year after the wedding, (would be the first time I have been outside the USA) and do the whole visit all his family in England, hop around Scotland, France, Italy, Belgium, Germany, etc. My only concern is... after we are married, are we even allowed to go overseas? Is there like a time frame that says we have to stay in the states for x amount of days before we can travel?

Thanks !

Edited by BMJ

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : California Service Center

Consulate : London UK

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-08

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-02-11

*Touched* : 2008-07-17

*Touched* : 2008-07-18

*Touched* : 2008-07-23

I-129F RFE(s) :

RFE Reply(s) :

I-129F NOA2 : Website says its been APPROVED!!! 2008-07-31

NOA2 recieved in mail: 2008-08-07

NVC Received :

NVC Left :

Consulate Received :

Packet 3 Received :

Packet 3 Sent :

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date : October 9th APPROVED!!!

Visa Received : October 11th

US Entry : October 11th

Marriage :October 15th

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Xaos and I plan to get married in October, and are praying that all the paperwork will be finished by then (I sure would hate to start this whole process over again if it doesn't all go through in time). Sadly his mother has health issues that will not allow her to fly to the states to our wedding. Because his sister and brother have had to help get her to medical appointments they have missed as much work as they are allowed and will not be able to fly here either. While we will have plenty of friends at the wedding it isn't the same. I will end up marrying Xaos (Mark) without ever having met his family.

One of the things we talked about was flying back to England about a year after the wedding, (would be the first time I have been outside the USA) and do the whole visit all his family in England, hop around Scotland, France, Italy, Belgium, Germany, etc. My only concern is... after we are married, are we even allowed to go overseas? Is there like a time frame that says we have to stay in the states for x amount of days before we can travel?

Thanks !

Hi There

Once you get your advance parole or green card you can travel, as K1 is a one entry visa you would not be allowed back in the states without those.

Good luck with your journey.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

After you get your greencard or AP - you are free to do as you please - once filing for citizenship, they do want to know how long you were out of the country but generally a few weeks here and there wouldn't make any difference. No, you are not confined to stay here with your greencard. Good Luck

K1

March 2 Filed I-129 F

July 21 Interview in Bogota ** Approved ** Very Easy!

AOS

Oct 19 Mailed AOS Packet to Chicago

Feb 17 AOS interview in Denver. Biometrics also done today! (Interviewing officer ordered them.)

Apr 25 Green card received

Removal of conditions

March 17 Refiled using new I-751 form

April 16 Biometrics done

July 10 Green card production ordered

Citizenship

Jan 20 filed N400

Feb 04 NOA date

Feb 24 Biometrics

May 5 Interview - Centennial (Denver, Colorado) Passed

June 10 Oath Ceremony - Teikyo Loretto Heights, Denver, Colorado

July 7 Received Passport in 3 weeks

Shredded all immigration papers Have scanned images

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
My only concern is... after we are married, are we even allowed to go overseas? Is there like a time frame that says we have to stay in the states for x amount of days before we can travel?

Thanks !

Yep I agree to the guys above.

You will need to file the AP (Advance Parole) with your AOS,as soon as you have that you are legally able to leave the US for a vacation/to look after your familiy

Or with the green card of couse.

Edited by DakotaK1

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

Your question about travelling after marriage already has een answered, but I'd like to add something regarding your situation:

My family wasn't able to travel to the US for our wedding so my fiance came to Germany to "pick me up" when I entered the US with my K-1 and two days before I left, we had a wedding ceremony in Germany. Nothing official, just a ceremony in the church with wasn't legally recognized. Like that, I had a wedding with family (we already knew that we wouldn't have a big wedding in the US anyway), he was able to meet all my folks again and they could see him again since we knew I wouldn't be able to travel for a while.

It was the perfect solution for us and I can only recommend it.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
Your question about travelling after marriage already has een answered, but I'd like to add something regarding your situation:

My family wasn't able to travel to the US for our wedding so my fiance came to Germany to "pick me up" when I entered the US with my K-1 and two days before I left, we had a wedding ceremony in Germany. Nothing official, just a ceremony in the church with wasn't legally recognized. Like that, I had a wedding with family (we already knew that we wouldn't have a big wedding in the US anyway), he was able to meet all my folks again and they could see him again since we knew I wouldn't be able to travel for a while.

If you decide to try something like this, make darn sure it isn't legal or official - have the person 'officiating' be a family friend and not a religious offiiate - and is basically a gathering of friends and family where you declare your love and committment to each other - not where you hold a 'wedding ceremony'. Do NOT make any reference to this in any other way than a family farewell party or send-off when you get to the border, nor refer to each other as husband and wife until after your marriage in the US. If even a whiff of something that smells like a wedding gets to border or immigration officials by an unconscious reference to this 'marriage' or my 'husband/wife' it can get you denied entry as being married and not still engaged even if it wasn't anything legal.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

If you decide to try something like this, make darn sure it isn't legal or official - have the person 'officiating' be a family friend and not a religious offiiate - and is basically a gathering of friends and family where you declare your love and committment to each other - not where you hold a 'wedding ceremony'. Do NOT make any reference to this in any other way than a family farewell party or send-off when you get to the border, nor refer to each other as husband and wife until after your marriage in the US. If even a whiff of something that smells like a wedding gets to border or immigration officials by an unconscious reference to this 'marriage' or my 'husband/wife' it can get you denied entry as being married and not still engaged even if it wasn't anything legal.

Like I said, it wasn't legal never signed anything and we weren't declared husband and wife either. But other than that, we said our vows and everything. And I made sure I only wore my engagement ring when I crossed the border. Officially and legally I was unmarried at the POE, which is the important thing.

We celebrate the wedding ceremony in Germany as our anniversary though.

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.