sarahaziz

ME/NA Discrimination

ME/NA Discrimination  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How many have witnessed discrimnation either being of ME/NA origin, being a spouse of MENA origin, or wearing Muslim attire publically

• I haven't been hit with discrimination, Nor my spouse
    • Yes, Because of my spouse
    • Yes, Because of my clothing/headwear
    • Usually from my Family members, nothing serious

13 posts in this topic

I witnessed a girl wearing a Hijab at my university get racist remarks and I certainly didn't stand for it. I see sometimes on the boards of reporting of discrimnation happening in everyday lives. I can't believe that I had to actually say something and she didn't even have the strength to stand up for herself. Just wondering how often this sort of disgusting behavior happens.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I will tell you that no one has said anything to me, there are probably several reasons why, but perhaps they are scared that I would do something to them :blush: . This is truthful and not the norm I know. I think where I live and being an African-American Muslim running around Las Vegas modestly dressed and in a head covering just does something to others around me. I will tell you in the places I visit often (the store, post office, ect...) I have found people will say more then have a good day, and say have a "Blessed Day"! What does this mean I do not know, but I take it as a sign of respect on my part. Even in traveling, at the airport nothing is said to me, but then again who wants to say something to disrespectful when young children are around you. Now I know a few sisters in the area that have had issues with this. I try to help them as much as possible, especially since rights of your appearance is a right you have! We will see what experiences my husband has when he arrives and experiences the USA!

Samira and Jaouad

K3 and AOS

8-13-07: Sent package with I-129F to CSC overnight

9-25-07: NOA 1 recv

3-04-08: Approval Notice Sent

5-15-08:Interview Date

07-28-08:Visa Received (AP Hell 73 days)

08-02-08:US Entry (K-3)

08-05-08: Sent EAD package to CSC

12-07-08: Finally recvd EAD

04-20-09: AOS sent

07-23-09: AOS Interview-APPROVED!

Next file for Naturalization!

.png

and our family keeps growing and growing.....

x5Kpm8.png

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

I witness a heck of a lot more discrimination on VJ .

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I witnessed a girl wearing a Hijab at my university get racist remarks and I certainly didn't stand for it. I see sometimes on the boards of reporting of discrimnation happening in everyday lives. I can't believe that I had to actually say something and she didn't even have the strength to stand up for herself. Just wondering how often this sort of disgusting behavior happens.

Think about it, the more she stands up for herself the more they will say that she is a terrorist. How can she win??? The best we can do is to stand up for her.

Nagi has it right, I have seen more here on VJ.

'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride'

Well she was of Pakistani decent and they made remarks that she smelled like their native food and that pakistanis don't take showers. I'm pretty sure they think the same about anybody from that part of the world. It's just a lack of teaching that parents forget to talk about being racist.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Discrimination of any kind sickens me.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Syria
Timeline
Well she was of Pakistani decent and they made remarks that she smelled like their native food and that pakistanis don't take showers. I'm pretty sure they think the same about anybody from that part of the world. It's just a lack of teaching that parents forget to talk about being racist.

not to change the subject but my husband and i went to canada a few weeks ago and at at a indian/pakistani resturant and the next day even after haveing a shower and clean clothes on i still could smell those spices on my body so to say they smelled like thier native food could be the truth and not an insult. even one of my friends is pakistani and i told her that story and she laughed her ### off cuz she knows cuz when she eats that food she can smell it on herself too. when i read what u said i was thinking...geeeee i hope i didnt offend her when i told her that even tho she laughed and said she agreed.

given that it was said along with "pakistanis don't take showers", it would seem a rather safe bet that it was meant as an insult. it doesn't sound at all like the context of the conversation you had with your friend.

I-love-Muslims-SH.gif

c00c42aa-2fb9-4dfa-a6ca-61fb8426b4f4_zps

Filed: Timeline
Discrimination of any kind sickens me.

:thumbs: I totally agree with you! :thumbs: Discrimination happens all over...not just here. I believe it has to do a lot with lack of education and ignorance to background/culture.

Traveling many times in the Middle East...I have been shocked by the country to country discrimination. Whether I'm in Jordan, Lebanon or Egypt....I have seen some shocking behavior and heard some shocking statements even from relatives living there. But for the most part I have learned, surround yourself with those that bring you UP and turn your back to those that try to bring you DOWN! :)

Sounds like ignornant shite I would have said about Pakis before falling in love with Kamran. :blush:

Sounds like ignornant shite I would have said about Pakis before falling in love with Kamran. :blush:

haha, well now you know their cool peoples :thumbs: good food too

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Yes, people treat me bad or laugh at me because of my hijab as I live in a small rural area. I could care less really what they think of me and I generally laugh. I see people in my area wearing scarves more now that I started covering as if they've copied a new trend. My hubby is not here yet but if that causes issues when he does arrive as he is fair-skinned and I am brown-skinned then I will just laugh at them even harder, knowing they are just jealous and ignorant. As for people saying stuff about others smelling of native foods that is crazy and I actually love the smell of Indian and Pakistani food and the taste of it as well. Hence, my dear husband is Pakistani and I love him very much! :whistle::hehe:

Edited by Maysa

"Waiting for the day when we can start enjoying our lives under one roof.....please bestow your blessings upon us dear God".

Visa in hand on June 22, 2009! :-)

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Well, I have personally 'felt' discrimnation. But I doubt my husband ever would since he does not look "arab" nor does he wear the tradionational Muslim garb.

For me, several times I have heard the "rag head" comments ... "Go back to your country" etc! Even "terrorist, do you have a gun under there?" BS! These things typically did not bother me ... maybe made my day little dimmer but that is about all.

I had thou, been 'fired' from a job, when I first started wearing the veil. They did not (of course) tell me in direct words ... but basically indirectly was told 'take it off or you will get canned' I did not take it off ... but basically I got canned.

I lost many family and friends when I first 'came out' with my religious conversion. In fact, I have not talked to some family members in over 10 years. This was mentally worst for me.

But I think phsyically worst act of discrimnation was in the early 2000s when I was in Budapest ... waiting for the metro and a group of opened shirt, hairy chested 'macho thug' wannabes came hurling all kinds of racial slurs thinking I was Turkish ... after I made a comment in the native language I guess they would stunned to know I was like them ... so then one hit in me in my chest, knocking the wind out of me thus sending me falling down onto the tracks.Elhamdullah, there were some kind undiscrimnationing people around who helped me up from the tracks (and no metro could be heard) It was a scary point in my life, in which I came to a fork decision making point. Is this religion even worth it?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.