VisaJourneyLady

What did you leave behind, that you regret?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
As for books - I can understand that they are a bit of a pain to move around... but I just can't part with a lot of my fantasy novels... thing is I *do* read them over and again (that is before I bought a ton more that I haven't read yet :lol: ) and as I want to have my own library eventually (in the house, not like a public one :lol: )

A library is too easy when there is a Half-Priced Books store nearby. Not that I know anything about wasting money there. :whistle:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm sounds awesome :D I just looooove my books :D I want a library that looks like something of a cross between Dumbledore's office and how I picture Diggory's study in The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe :D Kinda heavy oak desk, floor to ceiling shelves, brass lamp with green shade...

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I moved my books - lots of heavy boxes - but my books are also my old friends. I don't mean the popular reading stuff - the novels that you can buy out of any bookstore - but books I have had for years, that are out of print, that were never high print runs anyway. We paid for the cost of moving them - and buying new bookshelves to house them when I arrived - but I have never regretted that decision. What I would not have brought is some of the furniture that I did. My now husband wanted me to bring that even though most of the pieces weren't very good. There were only a few small wood side tables and a small antique desk I would have brought. Interestingly, we have incorporated the few small wood tables I wanted to bring into our household with the small desk and another small side table in the garage . . . the rest we have sold at garage sales:-) with his concurrence.

Basically, I brought my 'life' with me because I was able to do so. Our home is a blending of our two lives. I have my paintings up on our walls, my knick-knacks on the shelves and mantle and my mother's good china left to me when she died in our cabinet. I have my childhood memories with me, and the treasures I have collected along the way - not valued in financial terms but in personal terms. My husband fully understood my desire to have these with me. His ex-wife destroyed all of his personal memories and belongings that he had cherished over the years so he knows what it feels like to be without and encouraged me to bring what I wanted to bring into our new home. Now, we share them equally and enjoy how they have made our home feel like it belongs to both of us.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

I am going to be leaving a lot of my memories behind - the things that sit in the attic at least - things like my first pair of shoes, schoolbooks - they will stay in the attic at my mum's - I rarely look at them and we don't even know if we will settle in the States permanently - we can always move them later but wherever we settle I really do want them with me eventually :D

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

my little girl :(

my ex wouldn't give permission to let her move , so she had to stay behind for 3 yrs until she turned 12.

Now my hubby has to apply for a visa to get her here.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
Basically, I brought my 'life' with me because I was able to do so. Our home is a blending of our two lives. I have my paintings up on our walls, my knick-knacks on the shelves and mantle and my mother's good china left to me when she died in our cabinet. I have my childhood memories with me, and the treasures I have collected along the way - not valued in financial terms but in personal terms. My husband fully understood my desire to have these with me. His ex-wife destroyed all of his personal memories and belongings that he had cherished over the years so he knows what it feels like to be without and encouraged me to bring what I wanted to bring into our new home. Now, we share them equally and enjoy how they have made our home feel like it belongs to both of us.

You guys are a lot like us (oodles of books on the moving van too!). When Jerry came to visit me, he loved how I had my place set up and he encouraged me to do the same when I moved here. I think he wanted to kind of have a fresh start in a house that didn't have a lot of joy or comfort in it with the ex-wife. That, and he wanted me to be surrounded with familiar things as I adjusted to living here. I made sure that I didn't throw away important things that belonged to him and we've mixed in things that mean something special to both of us. It works. :)

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
I'm not at this stage yet but I'm finding these responses very useful, too. Great idea for a thread! I've been wondering whether or not I should buy a light duvet, and I'm going to compile a list of small kitchen gadgets.

P found some "quite acceptable" duvets at Ikea that he really liked, so if there's one near you maybe that will be helpful?

He is going through this right now, and comparing the price of shipping his stuff, paying for extra suitcases, and just buying new when he gets here. The worst is his books which he wants to bring many of, but they're so darn heavy.

I think Cassie has a great point about being surrounded by the familiar. You need to bring with you what will bring you comfort and anything you think you can't get here!

We've been lucky because P has been able to spend 2 months at a time here and we just got our house before he went back the last time, so it's our fresh start together. But still, he needs something here that is his from home (besides that dang accordion I hauled through three airports for him in December!!!).

Since I'm the USC I can't imagine what it's like for you all to have to decide what to bring and what to leave. Gah. Good luck!

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
my little girl :(

my ex wouldn't give permission to let her move , so she had to stay behind for 3 yrs until she turned 12.

Now my hubby has to apply for a visa to get her here.

:((F)

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've read your story and after what you and your husband have gone through this is just heartbreaking.

I hope she will be here soon.

Done with USCIS until 12/28/2020!

penguinpasscanada.jpg

"What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty and democracy?" ~Gandhi

Books, books, books... glad I am not the only one :D

Oh - and my cat as well - there is no way on earth I am leaving her behind :)

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
P found some "quite acceptable" duvets at Ikea that he really liked, so if there's one near you maybe that will be helpful?

Did he have a shock looking at American housewares? My husband complained that:

1) People here want way, way too much for their pretty well used furniture.

2) The furniture or general housewares are so ugly and old looking. Hardly anything decent that wasn't ridiculously as expensive as old and ugly looking.

Eventually, we just did end up going to IKEA, though the closest one (now) is in Cincinnati.

Timeline

You guys are a lot like us (oodles of books on the moving van too!). When Jerry came to visit me, he loved how I had my place set up and he encouraged me to do the same when I moved here. I think he wanted to kind of have a fresh start in a house that didn't have a lot of joy or comfort in it with the ex-wife. That, and he wanted me to be surrounded with familiar things as I adjusted to living here. I made sure that I didn't throw away important things that belonged to him and we've mixed in things that mean something special to both of us. It works. :)

yep - we are! Like you, I made darn sure that Joe's items are here as well - in fact, I took some of the posters he had carried and stored away from when he served in Germany and framed them so we could display them here, plus I put up some of his remaining photos in 'his' computer room. There is this leather chair that he just loves - and I hate - but it is in our den because it is important to him. When he decides it is time to go is when it will go, I guess:-). It is important to the two of us that our home is just that - 'our' home. Still, I wish I could just move the sound system speakers to make a better furniture arrangement - hehehe, he is adamant that they are best where they are so they haven't been moved for 4 years - it is almost impossible to dust behind them and there is no way to get the vaccum there. Oh well, hehehehehe.

Jeraly, I brought my 6 cats with me too! Love me, love my cats! The eldest passed away 6 weeks after we arrived and is buried on top of the hill with a garden over her. The other five are definitely 'our' cats now. (Ok, to be honest, 'we' are "their' people).

Edited by Kathryn41

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Jeraly, I brought my 6 cats with me too! Love me, love my cats! The eldest passed away 6 weeks after we arrived and is buried on top of the hill with a garden over her. The other five are definitely 'our' cats now. (Ok, to be honest, 'we' are "their' people).

:lol:

Did you get kitty insurance for them when they were travelling? I am still trying to sort everything out >< And National Express don't allow pets on their coaches... Hrmph... Still lots of sorting!

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Timeline

No, we didn't get any kitty insurance:-). We drove them down ourselves - 2 days of travel for 6 very unhappy cats and it didn't help that the overnight hotel had their rock band playing right outside our window for several hours after our arrival. They did have a vet check up just before we left to make sure they were healthy and I got copies of all of their vet records from my vet. You may want to send Mags a message - she brought her cats from England as well and I am sure has a lot of useful information she would be happy to share with you.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.