VisaJourneyLady

What did you leave behind, that you regret?

104 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Can you explain about the foriegner discount please, thanks

Go to the customer service department of any Macy's and ask for the foreign or out-of-country customer discount. You will need to show them either a driver's license or a passport proving that you are from another country. They will give you a discount card that is good for an additional 11% off all sale and regularly-priced items. :thumbs:

iagree.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Go to the customer service department of any Macy's and ask for the foreign or out-of-country customer discount. You will need to show them either a driver's license or a passport proving that you are from another country. They will give you a discount card that is good for an additional 11% off all sale and regularly-priced items. :thumbs:

GTFO!!!

If only I knew about this before! Are you for real Krikit????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
GTFO!!!

It's definitely real. I've only ever tried it in Macy's in NYC though, not sure if every single Macy's does it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Wow ty for that info

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
GTFO!!!

It's definitely real. I've only ever tried it in Macy's in NYC though, not sure if every single Macy's does it.

Looks like Griff will have to go shopping with me every time I go to Macy's!! We've bought a lot of stuff from them! I really wish I knew this before!

:lol: @ Julez.

Yes, it's real, and yes, it's at every single Macy's. Don't ask the sales clerks, though. Some of them won't know what you're talking about. Go straight to the customer service/gift-wrap department..... they'll know. Especially in an area that gets a lot of tourists like NY and FL. (And definitely Buffalo because of all the Canadians and the Falls. :lol: ) Julez, get your husband to get it, initially, then just use it after that. You don't need him along. You just present it at the time of purchase, like a credit card or whatever. The passport or DL is shown at the time of issue.... they don't ask to see it again. They have recently changed their policy where it was only good for a 10-day period, but now they issue it and you keep it forever.

iagree.gif

:lol: @ Julez.

Yes, it's real, and yes, it's at every single Macy's. Don't ask the sales clerks, though. Some of them won't know what you're talking about. Go straight to the customer service/gift-wrap department..... they'll know. Especially in an area that gets a lot of tourists like NY and FL. (And definitely Buffalo because of all the Canadians and the Falls. :lol: ) Julez, get your husband to get it, initially, then just use it after that. You don't need him along. You just present it at the time of purchase, like a credit card or whatever. The passport or DL is shown at the time of issue.... they don't ask to see it again. They have recently changed their policy where it was only good for a 10-day period, but now they issue it and you keep it forever.

Wow, thats cool! B)

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

One thing I would have liked to have bought over was my Ford KA, but it would have been ridiculous to ship over, inspected, insurance, etc, so my dad sold the car for me. It was my first car, I loved it. :)

Also it amazes me that virtually no one over here has an electric kettle! I got so used to that back in England, we eventually found one in a store called Benny's, and the kettle is Canadian.

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

I know Griff had to bring a Lancashire potato peeler with him! He hates my potato peeler that much! :lol:

I don't have one I am attached to but I know that when I was out there the ones we got all broke really really fast ><

GTFO!!!

OMG - that is awesome!! Oh dear... good for me... bad for Jeremy :lol:

In terms of what I am bringing... I don't live alone (still with my mum) so I don't have a lot of kitchen things and stuff like that that I will miss. I am bringing all of my video games and most of my books. I am selling my DVDs and CDs. I'm taking a select few cuddly toys that have sentimental value, and after my massive heart-rending tears at parting with my art supplies (only one smallish box) I decided that sod it - I'm going to take those as well if it will make me happy :)

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

The only thing I regret not bringing is some Bisto instant gravy granules. You can't get instant gravy granules here!! :o

I've had my Mum mail some to me. :D

Yeah, add those to my list too. And I don't have a trip lined up to London until October or November, so :angry: . Maybe I'll have my mother-in-law put some in a packet... I also got my vegetarian mother hooked on the Bisto Veggie gravy so now she's clamouring too.

Americans are heathens -- no gravy granules!

larissa-lima-says-who-is-against-the-que

The only thing I regret not bringing is some Bisto instant gravy granules. You can't get instant gravy granules here!! :o

I've had my Mum mail some to me. :D

Yeah, add those to my list too. And I don't have a trip lined up to London until October or November, so :angry: . Maybe I'll have my mother-in-law put some in a packet... I also got my vegetarian mother hooked on the Bisto Veggie gravy so now she's clamouring too.

Americans are heathens -- no gravy granules!

:lol:

If you ever get to Canada you can find pretty much everything you can get in Britain over there. I'm in Canada now, actually, stocking up. My Mum told me I'd better start packing up and get back home before I have to buy another suitcase for all my stuff. :lol:

iagree.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I can't exactly answer the original question as I'm not over there yet :D

but I'm shipping quite a lot of stuff... if you shop around, you can get good deals on shipping (the one I eventually used in the UK was half the quoted price of the first company I enquired with) and ends up around £5 - £7 per cubic foot (depending on how much you're sending)... for smaller items, like kitchen stuff, you can see that that's a GREAT saving on buying it all new; you can fit quite a lot of potato peelers in a cubic foot! :lol:

I'll end up spending quite a lot on shipping, in the end, but we talked it all over and it's what we wanted to do... I was paying to store a whole lot of stuff in Australia anyway (as when I left I was supposed to be back in a year :lol: ), so I needed to empty the storage space, and I can store some things at mum and dad's, but not a lot... lots of things end up cheaper to ship than replace, anyway, as I mentioned above... and Dave really wanted me to have lots of familiar things around me :)

I don't think there's much I'll regret shipping, and I've been saving for months to be able to afford it, but I guess we'll see :)

I'll be back to report in six months' time :D

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My packing judgement was terrible, I was very sentimental about it. I ended up asking my friends for help, they gave me a new perspective on it. I brought mostly irreplacebles. The rule was leaving behind all things that I could replace in a 6 months time, for example, I gave away most of my electronics. I had a whole set for 24 people of german china that I had to leave at one of my friend's, and I'll just have that shipped when the time is right, same with books, I had so many and they are so heavy. I wished I had prepared with more time and taken better advantage of Justin's trip to ship things. but oh well :blush:

I still ended up bringing 3 big suitcases+carry-on+ my dog (40 pound siberian husky)

Good luck! I know it's a whole experience on itself making the move :star:

Saludos,

Caro

***Justin And Caro***
Happily married and enjoying our life together!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.