moroccanwife06

Is there anyone here FROM NY who has a spouse here via a CR-1 Visa?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Come on now, we are all adults here.... theresaandali did what they thought was best, so there is no need to make them look like they don't know what they are doing, because it worked at any rate. There is no need to be condecending towards each other.

Of course not. There's only a need to inform others so they don't make the same mistake.

So i am just a bit confused by all that i have read here. Am I to believe that when I get to NY later this year God's willing (in the process of doing IR-1 visa) i will have to remarry i husband that i have been married to for 4 years now. The marriage took place in Jamaica and he lives in NY.

Please clarify for me.

Thanks

Of course not. This is precisely the kind of misunderstanding I'm trying to avoid by posting in this thread.

You're already married in Jamaica. If you get your name changed in your passport now, while you're still there, there will be no need to change names again later.

The OP who began the thread is not an immigrant. She is a US Citizen wanting to use her foreign husband's surname. It is a different process but somewhat the same, in that passport is the first thing to change. The OP indicates there is not federal office nearby, so she went to a county office first. That was the beginning of her problem. As an immigrant, even if you don't change your passport name before US arrival, you can do so through a Jamaican Consulate in the US, later. You should apply for the visa in your married name if that's the name you want to use. You also have the option of keeping the name you used before marriage.

Thanks for the clarity. From the day i got married I have used my husband name on all my documents. It is also the name in my Ja passport and that is the name they have for me at the NVC. I did not give up my surname i just addedd my husband's name to it.

Once again thank you for clarifying for me

"Love is patient, love is kind, love keeps no record of wrongs"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline

Hi all,

I can see how someone reading this thread might be confused into wondering if a foreign marriage is accepted in New York State. So just to reiterate, a marriage that is valid in the foreign country in which is was performed is recognized as valid in New York State (with a few exceptions I believe, like if the person was underage...) I was married in Cuba and it has never been questioned here, in any circumstance.

There was an interesting case I read about recently in fact that highlights this. There was a lesbian couple from Rochester, NY who were legally married in Canada. ( I believe that both are US Citizens and residents.) They went to court in NY State when one's employer tried to deny the other spousal benefits. The court affirmed that a marriage that is legal in Canada must be recognized as legal in New York State. Congratulations to the happily married couple! Now I hope that will soon apply to gay and lesbian US citizens who want to marry and bring their spouses to the US, and experience the same hopes and joys as many of the rest of us on this forum. Onwards!

2NS

I-130 NOA1: 9/17/04

He picks up packet in Havana: late March/05

Interview at US Interests in Hav: 4/26/05

Informed of need for second security check

Dept of State completes security check: 5/17/05

He picks up Visa: 5/26/05

Arrived 7/22/05

Applied for removal of GC conditions 4/07

Interview for application to remove GC conditions 11/07

Received 10 year GC 12/07

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

I can see how someone reading this thread might be confused into wondering if a foreign marriage is accepted in New York State. So just to reiterate, a marriage that is valid in the foreign country in which is was performed is recognized as valid in New York State (with a few exceptions I believe, like if the person was underage...) I was married in Cuba and it has never been questioned here, in any circumstance.

There was an interesting case I read about recently in fact that highlights this. There was a lesbian couple from Rochester, NY who were legally married in Canada. ( I believe that both are US Citizens and residents.) They went to court in NY State when one's employer tried to deny the other spousal benefits. The court affirmed that a marriage that is legal in Canada must be recognized as legal in New York State. Congratulations to the happily married couple! Now I hope that will soon apply to gay and lesbian US citizens who want to marry and bring their spouses to the US, and experience the same hopes and joys as many of the rest of us on this forum. Onwards!

2NS

It's not the validity of the marriage, it's actually about the documentation proving it. NYS will NOT accept my Moroccan marriage certificate for things such as name changes.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

2NS

It's not the validity of the marriage, it's actually about the documentation proving it. NYS will NOT accept my Moroccan marriage certificate for things such as name changes.

That's crystal clear. Is it just as clear that they will accept a passport and SS card, if you get those before trying to change the name on your driver license? Is the procedure for changing the name in your passport now clear? Do you understand it need not be done at a "county" office, since it is issued by an agency of the Federal, not county of State government?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline
Hi all,

2NS

That's crystal clear. Is it just as clear that they will accept a passport and SS card, if you get those before trying to change the name on your driver license? Is the procedure for changing the name in your passport now clear? Do you understand it need not be done at a "county" office, since it is issued by an agency of the Federal, not county of State government?

I'd just like to add my 2cents for whatever it's worth here. I got married in Malaysia in July and that is date we used for all my visa applications.

Last month I went to NY because my husband's family wanted an official ceremony there. And in order for us to get a justice of peace to witness us exchanging vows we needed to apply for a marriage license from the city hall. The lady at the city hall verified that we cannot use the Malaysian Marriage Certificate to substitute that. The NY marriage license says I can change my last name if I want to.

That's the extent of my knowledge of how it works in NY. In terms of name changes, passport, SSN I can't really say much cause we havent reached that step yet. Currently my Malaysian Passport is still in my maiden name and I have no intentions of changing that because here we don't take our husband's last name. That might change when I go to live with my husband in the future though.

I know this is not much help but at least its another view of the situation.

Timeline

• July 14 2007 - We got married!
  • Aug 04 2007 - I-130 Sent
  • Dec 20 2007 - I-130 NOA1
  • Feb 10 2008 - I-130 Approved
  • Feb 13 2008 - NVC Received
  • Mar 03 2008 - Return Completed DS-3032
  • Mar 17 2008 - Received DS-3032 / I-864 Bill
  • Apr 01 2008 - Pay I-864 Bill
  • Apr 10 2008 - Receive IV Bill
  • Apr 15 2008 - Pay IV Bill
  • Apr 22 2008 - Receive I-864 Package
  • May 07 2008 - Return Completed I-864
  • May 08 2008 - Receive Instruction Package
  • May 15 2008 - DS-230 Entered to System
  • May 23 2008 - Case Completed at NVC
  • Jun 25 2008 - Case Forwarded to Embassy
  • Jun 26 2008 - Medical Checkup
  • July 08 2008 - Interview
  • July 18 2008 - Picking up passport & visa at VFS
  • Oct 12 2008 - POE JFK using Etihad Airways
  • Nov 28 2008 - Received my Green Card in the Mail

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
Hi all,

2NS

I'd just like to add my 2cents for whatever it's worth here. I got married in Malaysia in July and that is date we used for all my visa applications.

Last month I went to NY because my husband's family wanted an official ceremony there. And in order for us to get a justice of peace to witness us exchanging vows we needed to apply for a marriage license from the city hall. The lady at the city hall verified that we cannot use the Malaysian Marriage Certificate to substitute that. The NY marriage license says I can change my last name if I want to.

That's the extent of my knowledge of how it works in NY. In terms of name changes, passport, SSN I can't really say much cause we havent reached that step yet. Currently my Malaysian Passport is still in my maiden name and I have no intentions of changing that because here we don't take our husband's last name. That might change when I go to live with my husband in the future though.

Thank you so much for your additional input. You know what I have been saying, as you experienced it as well.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,

2NS

Thank you so much for your additional input. You know what I have been saying, as you experienced it as well.

No, she hasn't experienced it yet because she doesn't have a visa yet.

Further, she has some decisions to make that may not have been thought through completely yet. If she changes her name when she marries a second time in New York, she'll be using two names. If she doesn't change her passport name, she can't travel abroad in her married name. If she gets the green card in her married name, she'll have to carry proof that the the separate names in the Passport and on the Green Card belong to the same person, whenever she enters the USA. This can be done fairly reliably with the New York wedding certificate, the photo and perhaps a New York drivers license but there's also the chance the CR1 visa in the passport will give the CBP agent pause in accepting a NY marriage certificate when the CR1 visa is a clear indicator that the couple married before she entered the US.

Her easiest solution is not to change her name at all.

Why the groom's family wants an official legal wedding between two people already married is beyond my understanding though. Married is married.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline
Hi all,

2NS

No, she hasn't experienced it yet because she doesn't have a visa yet.

Further, she has some decisions to make that may not have been thought through completely yet. If she changes her name when she marries a second time in New York, she'll be using two names. If she doesn't change her passport name, she can't travel abroad in her married name. If she gets the green card in her married name, she'll have to carry proof that the the separate names in the Passport and on the Green Card belong to the same person, whenever she enters the USA. This can be done fairly reliably with the New York wedding certificate, the photo and perhaps a New York drivers license but there's also the chance the CR1 visa in the passport will give the CBP agent pause in accepting a NY marriage certificate when the CR1 visa is a clear indicator that the couple married before she entered the US.

Her easiest solution is not to change her name at all.

Why the groom's family wants an official legal wedding between two people already married is beyond my understanding though. Married is married.

Well, what pushbrk said is correct. My wife (the USC) got her name changed on all her documents...with no problem. Everything is in her new name. She did in the order that pushbrk said...she is from NY. It was all stress free...all done in a month.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.