sarahaziz

Crazy question for the MENA people

342 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
The Mena message board is not where you do that. There are people with spouses from there and people petitioning people from there. Talking about it is insensitive to them

And saying things such as the Palestinians were unable to liberate themselves but the Algerians were able to can also seem insensitive. This isn't meant as an attack. It seems a shame that someone with your knowledge on at least some of the MENA region is unable to discuss a country and its people based on a bad personal experience.

I havent said I cannot discuss it. I have said I will not. I don't want to talk about Palestinians, Palestine, their similarities and differences because I simply choose not to. It has less to do with my personal experience and more to do with the forum we are in. If I am in private company with lets say an American who says " Israel has a right to Israel" or something to that effect, I can then choose to if I want to talk about the mass unsettling of Palestinians, injustices etc. But I do not want to that here. People are petitioning for people from there and have spouses from there and frankly I have a mixed bag of feelings about the whole conundrum. You can feel empathy for a people and care about them without liking the way they go about things. This is one subject I will not address on the boards because I am just too biased in too many ways towards a negative direction and they don't deserve as a group of people anything I might think based on personal experience.... whew... that was alot

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
speaking of...i've rather missed MBP.

I never knew why she left.

she might be right in front of you ;)

I dont understand all this name changing and screen name switching... I rather like being the resident pariah

I think for some it is easier to say things behind a shield. Things they'd never in a million years say to your face in person. Just my take on it though. If you have to make up a fake name then maybe what you're about to say isn't really supposed to be said. *shrug*

Edited by bridget

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
The Mena message board is not where you do that. There are people with spouses from there and people petitioning people from there. Talking about it is insensitive to them

And saying things such as the Palestinians were unable to liberate themselves but the Algerians were able to can also seem insensitive. This isn't meant as an attack. It seems a shame that someone with your knowledge on at least some of the MENA region is unable to discuss a country and its people based on a bad personal experience.

I havent said I cannot discuss it. I have said I will not. I don't want to talk about Palestinians, Palestine, their similarities and differences because I simply choose not to. It has less to do with my personal experience and more to do with the forum we are in. If I am in private company with lets say an American who says " Israel has a right to Israel" or something to that effect, I can then choose to if I want to talk about the mass unsettling of Palestinians, injustices etc. But I do not want to that here. People are petitioning for people from there and have spouses from there and frankly I have a mixed bag of feelings about the whole conundrum. You can feel empathy for a people and care about them without liking the way they go about things. This is one subject I will not address on the boards because I am just too biased in too many ways towards a negative direction and they don't deserve as a group of people anything I might think based on personal experience.... whew... that was alot

In that case I would refrain from trying to compare the fight for freedom of Algiers to that of Palestine since you'll have to go through this each and everytime you bring it up. For the record though I don't think the two are in the LEAST bit comparable, just from what little I know of each.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi

The problem with that theory (fake screen names) is that none of us are saying things in anyone's face. We're all pretty much anonymous behind a computer screen. But in the same token, I really think some ppl make fake screen names because they've created a certain online persona and don't want to tarnish that by saying what they really feel.

Filed: Other Country: Israel
Timeline

In that case I would refrain from trying to compare the fight for freedom of Algiers to that of Palestine since you'll have to go through this each and everytime you bring it up. For the record though I don't think the two are in the LEAST bit comparable, just from what little I know of each.

I am not being provocative or trying to make any point with this - but I just looked it up on wikipedia as I have no knowledge of algerian history and it said that france was responsible for the extermination of 1 million algerians?! #######? where is the outrage! i seriously did not know this. i REALLY need to read more.

They arent which is why when both are thrown into my face at once, I have to split them up to talk about them

ayiyiiiii wahrania....you are american, born in america right? Why don't you stick to being an expert for your country and your culture? Are you here to prove I am a liar or all that didn't really happen? What is that for? My cousin is next to me she's algerian with a fiance from algeria and shocked that American people actually travel to arabi countries and think they know everything from A-Z about my personal life and others. Why would you embaress yourself like this? Post all you want about any other country how it's runned but not Algeria. Muslim/Christian it's the same thing, just because I am christian it doesn't mean I'm loose and run around naked and drink beer. We are married we have that respect he can kiss my forehead I'm for him only he didn't kiss my lips in my respect. I wore western clothes because it's nothing. No legs no breast no arms were showing. Here in USA I wear long boots on jeans long sleeve shirts I cover myself up it's my self respect. Alot of the women in my family who moved to France they don't wear hijab and they are muslim, from Sahara also. Algiers not many girls cover up you even see girls driving and walking without hijab. Western clothing it's not prohibited. They sell it EVERYWHERE and there's so many lingerie shops everywhere!! I got married in Western clothing! The judge and imam didn't care they touched my head for blessing bc when I talk i am so respectful like older men are my father. If your hubby didn't kiss you or show affection you can't get assume it's haraam. My husband let me dress as I like bec he knows I don't disrespect my image.

This thread was asking all the women/men on the forum what would they feel like if they were the ones being petitioned and them being the beneficiary.

:ot2:

And dont represent conversion for an Algerian as the norm. I have never ever ever met an Algerian man that would accept an Algerian woman who was christian especially if it meant his child would not be raised muslim.. unless of course he doesnt plan on having kids with her.. then the marriage would make sense.. Tell me that an Algerian man will accept his wife to raise his children to be raised as christian and I have some waterfront property in Ghairdaia to sell you

Unless the Algerian man is Berber, right?

This debate about Algeria is quite interesante.

I am not being provocative or trying to make any point with this - but I just looked it up on wikipedia as I have no knowledge of algerian history and it said that france was responsible for the extermination of 1 million algerians?! #######? where is the outrage! i seriously did not know this. i REALLY need to read more.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Algerians and Palestinians are two completely different cultures. Algeria managed to free itself from its occupiers . Palestine did not. They are a completely different group of people with strikingly different lifestyles, food culture and history

Are you actually attempting to compare these two entirely different conflicts in any way, shape or form -- or even more outrageous, trying to insinuate that the outcomes of these two conflicts are in any way due to differences in "culture" ???????????

Lawdy somebody hold me back......

I will not talk about Palestine, Palestinians their culture or their conflict because due to a horrific experience I had with one, I cannot speak unbiased.

Algeria as chaotic as it has been is not living under and occupying force. Palestine is and therefore they are entire different places with an entirely different mindset and entirely different things to deal with . I will not talk about Palestine or Palestinians or what they are like or compare and contrast them . Allousa brought this into the topic not me and again it has nothing to do with Algeria at all. I could give example after example of things that I saw and experienced and none of it would be relevant. It has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about at all

Excuse me....

I made a reference to how you generalize the entire population of Palestine based on your past experience with your husband. It was you who made the reference to their liberation being a cause of how they act.

I am completely lost on how you go after people attacking them for their personal choices, but when people call you out on it, you start playing the victim. What??? :blink:

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

The nuttyness goes way back. I've tried to be polite but it's impossible in cases with constant rude people. It was like 5th grade I know about my country and I don't need to use that information to join a MENA club or something

What's the algerian cigarette name what's the song what's that dish. Besides God who else would I try to prove myself to? This is online so I guess some people don't care how uneducated they make themselves look.

I'm not an immigrant, I am in the interest of USA I vote according to that. I get angry when someone has migrated to USA and curses it. Calling me an immigrant you just shot down a billion other people with me. You speak like a Red neck racist who doesn't understand America is America because of IMMIGRANTS and their offspring's. Where else do you see cultures/languages meet together like this? I was born in America I take this country as it's my own (If I ever finished a Doctor Degree I'd join the troops and travel with them and do what i could to support America) like I take Algeria. My family in Algeria they just recently married with French locals that's how we have connections in France. I don't need a lecture on what you've studied about Algeria. There are many ways to look at History sometimes it's only comming from a one sided one minded group of people. You can't rely on your personal experiences to speak about one cities rules and regulations. You went one place and saw something well what if another american went there and saw the opposite and trys to push that perception on everyone else? All cultures and regions are consisted of mixed people you have Americans with Irish, Swedish, Scottish heritage that's same thing to Algerians we are still categorized as Arabs. My spouse doesn't even know the first thing how America categorizes people and he already knows he is an Arab. We are indirectly run by France that's why it's not totally Islamic in culture, we greet like French which is forbidden in a fully blasted Islamic country. We're also fighting off terrorists. I'm not debating on anything I'm just telling it like it is in year 2008 not 1993. This is a new generation we don't live in history anymore.

Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't understand or see things around me. It's everywhere your 10 years olds are more exposed to everything than back in the old days.

بحبك يا حبيبي اكمني بهواك و بحس انك مني

5474201_bodyshot_300x400_1214598846979.gif

5474626_bodyshot_300x400_1214601075246.gif

Algerians and Palestinians are two completely different cultures. Algeria managed to free itself from its occupiers . Palestine did not. They are a completely different group of people with strikingly different lifestyles, food culture and history

Are you actually attempting to compare these two entirely different conflicts in any way, shape or form -- or even more outrageous, trying to insinuate that the outcomes of these two conflicts are in any way due to differences in "culture" ???????????

Lawdy somebody hold me back......

I will not talk about Palestine, Palestinians their culture or their conflict because due to a horrific experience I had with one, I cannot speak unbiased.

Algeria as chaotic as it has been is not living under and occupying force. Palestine is and therefore they are entire different places with an entirely different mindset and entirely different things to deal with . I will not talk about Palestine or Palestinians or what they are like or compare and contrast them . Allousa brought this into the topic not me and again it has nothing to do with Algeria at all. I could give example after example of things that I saw and experienced and none of it would be relevant. It has absolutely nothing to do with what we are talking about at all

Excuse me....

I made a reference to how you generalize the entire population of Palestine based on your past experience with your husband. It was you who made the reference to their liberation being a cause of how they act.

I am completely lost on how you go after people attacking them for their personal choices, but when people call you out on it, you start playing the victim. What??? :blink:

First, you brought up Palestine and drug it into this thread not me. Second, again, it has NOTHING to do with what we are talking about. Third, I am not playing the victim, I just dont want to discuss Palestine nor derail the thread bringing it up or into this

My personal choice is to NOT discuss it

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.