k1_visa

Entry denied at the POE

21 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

I have to travel to my home country for several days and Im planning to return the USA using my Advance Parole. If for whatever reason the officer at the port of entry doesnt let me enter the country....

Does it mean that I won´t be able to return the USA anymore or I have the chance to return my country of origin and try it again?

Thanks

AOS Pending - Separated, Back to my Country of Birth

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I hate to answer a question with a question but....why the heck are you worried about re-entry if you have a valid AP document?

AP isn't a guarantee of re-admission. Denial is unlikely, but possible.

The initial mystery that attends any journey is: how did the traveller reach his starting point in the first place?

---Louise Bogan, Journey Around my Room

Timeline
I hate to answer a question with a question but....why the heck are you worried about re-entry if you have a valid AP document?

Becouse I ll be abroad for a long time( almost 3 months). Could it be a reason for a denial?

Filed: Timeline

Being out of the country for 3 months on AP is not a good Idea.... 3 months would not be classed as a normal vacation period.... what will you do if you are called for your interview durring that time???

I would think if you were gone for 3 months you will get quizzed about it at interview assuming you get back into the US.....

Kezzie

Filed: Other Country: Germany
Timeline

I don't think you're allowed to leave the US on AP for more than 60 days; if you stay abroad longer your AOS will be considered abandoned. So, I think you should consider returning within this timeframe. Otherwise, you'll probably denied entry.

Permanent Green Card Holder since 2006, considering citizenship application in the future.

Timeline
I don't think you're allowed to leave the US on AP for more than 60 days; if you stay abroad longer your AOS will be considered abandoned. So, I think you should consider returning within this timeframe. Otherwise, you'll probably denied entry.

Thanks for the answers. Ive already had my interview and my AOS is pending due the Name Check.

Is it a rule that being out of the country more than 2 months is abandoned of the application?

Being out of the country for 3 months on AP is not a good Idea.... 3 months would not be classed as a normal vacation period.... what will you do if you are called for your interview durring that time???

I would think if you were gone for 3 months you will get quizzed about it at interview assuming you get back into the US.....

Kezzie

The OP knows all of this, which is why he asks what he does.

But my question to the OP is: where is your USC spouse in all of this? Is he/she ok with the idea of being apart for 2-3 months or longer and even perhaps forever, if you are not allowed re-entry to the US?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

when I had my AOS interview , the officer took my AP & Ead forms. He said they were no longer valid. He told me I couldn't travel until my Greencard came in the mail.

I would book an info pass appt asap and ask them about your AP.

A Lily & A Rose...Together Forever !

April 28th INTERVIEW DATE !!!!!!!! APPROVED

June 30th Arrived in my Sweeties Arms !!

August 4th.2005 Our Wedding

Sept. 19th Sent AOS

Sept 28th recieved NOA for AOS

Nov.05/05 recieved Biometrics letter

Nov.17th Biometrics Appt.

Nov. 22nd. AP Approved

Nov. 25th/05 recieved EAD card

Nov.30th. recieved AP Papers in mail

Dec. 08th/05 Recieved Snail mail letter for AOS Interview Feb 15th 7:40 AM.

Feb. 15th. /06 AOS Interview SUCCESS !!!! no more to deal with for another 2 yrs!

Feb. 27th./06 Recieved Greencard in the mail

August 4th/06 Our First Wedding Anniversary !!

Feb. 8th 08 Sent in Packet to remove conditions

Feb 23rd 08 Recieve NOA letter stating they are extending my Greencard for another year.

March 11th 08 biometrics appt.

May 29th 08 recieved email stating Card production ordered

June 7th 2008 10 yr card recieved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

alfie.jpg

My lil Alfie boy

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Fischko, I know you read different stuff from me, so I was wondering if you had a source for this? (or Kezzie--)

It made me quite curious and all the info I came up with indicates that there is no time limit for being outside the US on Advance Parole *other than* returning to the US by the expiration date of the AP itself.

More official-like:

http://www.murthy.com/news/UDretbef.html

From time to time, we receive questions asking when it is necessary to return if one is traveling on AP. The AP document, Form I-512, contains a clearly stated expiration date. The Form bears the statement, "presentation of the original of this document prior to (date) will authorize an immigration officer at the port of entry in the United States to permit the named bearer, whose photograph appears hereon, to enter the United States." This date is generally one year from the date the AP was initially approved. The return to the U.S. must occur before the stated date. Travel plans should be made to allow for potential problems such as flight cancellations, illnesses and the like.

http://www.murthy.com/rumor.html

Chat User : If someone uses advance parole (AP) during the I-485 stage INS may respond with an RFE or transfer the case to a local INS office. INS does not like people at this stage to use AP. Posted February 25, 2003

Attorney Murthy : We have never heard that before. One is legally allowed to enter on the AP or the H1B. If one entered on the AP, then that person is considered to have been paroled into the U.S. and not legally "admitted," which has its own legal consequences. If the I-485 is rejected, for any reason, then the person is no longer in status, but if one entered on the H1B, then one has the backup H1B status. Each status has its own advantages and disadvantages, but INS does not issue an RFE or transfer the case merely by virtue of having traveled on AP.

Less official-like:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/archive/i...p/t-205418.html

it has been confirmed by USCIS memo that travel while an AP application is pending is allowable and will not affect your status, or the validity of the AP.

http://www.russianmeetingplace.com/forums/...read.php?t=1801

There is a paragraph that states... Presentation of the original of this document prior to {1/10/2007} will authorize an immigration officer at a port of entry in the United States to permit the named bearer, whose photograph appears hereon, to enter the United States: As an Alien paroled pursuant to section 212(d)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

AUTHORIZATION: The holder of this authorization is an applicant for adjustment of status under the Immigration and Nationality Act. The holder departed the United States temporarily and intends to return to the United States to resume processing of the adjustment of status application. Contingent upon his or her prima facie eligibility, the holder of this document shall be paroled into the United States pursuant to the authority of the Director, National Benefits Center (formerly known as the Missouri Service Center). VALID FOR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS FOR PAROLE INTO THE UNITED STATES. Parole is authorized for one year.

I spoke with a Customer Service Rep and asked him how long my wife can be out of the country on Advanced Parole and he said that there were no restriction unless it states on the document.

me: I can see a loophole against the parolee in that 'prima facie' phrase, but I have still never heard of a timelimit for AP holders to have to return to the US.

It would be good to have some more factual information about this topic--I've seen it come up a couple of times lately, which is why I looked. If anyone has any info on this, please jump in!

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Timeline

Fischko, I know you read different stuff from me, so I was wondering if you had a source for this? (or Kezzie--)

It made me quite curious and all the info I came up with indicates that there is no time limit for being outside the US on Advance Parole *other than* returning to the US by the expiration date of the AP itself.

More official-like:

http://www.murthy.com/news/UDretbef.html

From time to time, we receive questions asking when it is necessary to return if one is traveling on AP. The AP document, Form I-512, contains a clearly stated expiration date. The Form bears the statement, "presentation of the original of this document prior to (date) will authorize an immigration officer at the port of entry in the United States to permit the named bearer, whose photograph appears hereon, to enter the United States." This date is generally one year from the date the AP was initially approved. The return to the U.S. must occur before the stated date. Travel plans should be made to allow for potential problems such as flight cancellations, illnesses and the like.

http://www.murthy.com/rumor.html

Chat User : If someone uses advance parole (AP) during the I-485 stage INS may respond with an RFE or transfer the case to a local INS office. INS does not like people at this stage to use AP. Posted February 25, 2003

Attorney Murthy : We have never heard that before. One is legally allowed to enter on the AP or the H1B. If one entered on the AP, then that person is considered to have been paroled into the U.S. and not legally "admitted," which has its own legal consequences. If the I-485 is rejected, for any reason, then the person is no longer in status, but if one entered on the H1B, then one has the backup H1B status. Each status has its own advantages and disadvantages, but INS does not issue an RFE or transfer the case merely by virtue of having traveled on AP.

Less official-like:

http://www.immigrationportal.com/archive/i...p/t-205418.html

it has been confirmed by USCIS memo that travel while an AP application is pending is allowable and will not affect your status, or the validity of the AP.

http://www.russianmeetingplace.com/forums/...read.php?t=1801

There is a paragraph that states... Presentation of the original of this document prior to {1/10/2007} will authorize an immigration officer at a port of entry in the United States to permit the named bearer, whose photograph appears hereon, to enter the United States: As an Alien paroled pursuant to section 212(d)(5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

AUTHORIZATION: The holder of this authorization is an applicant for adjustment of status under the Immigration and Nationality Act. The holder departed the United States temporarily and intends to return to the United States to resume processing of the adjustment of status application. Contingent upon his or her prima facie eligibility, the holder of this document shall be paroled into the United States pursuant to the authority of the Director, National Benefits Center (formerly known as the Missouri Service Center). VALID FOR MULTIPLE APPLICATIONS FOR PAROLE INTO THE UNITED STATES. Parole is authorized for one year.

I spoke with a Customer Service Rep and asked him how long my wife can be out of the country on Advanced Parole and he said that there were no restriction unless it states on the document.

me: I can see a loophole against the parolee in that 'prima facie' phrase, but I have still never heard of a timelimit for AP holders to have to return to the US.

It would be good to have some more factual information about this topic--I've seen it come up a couple of times lately, which is why I looked. If anyone has any info on this, please jump in!

Thanks for answer me.

Anyway, many people in this forum still thinks that one could be denied at the POE becouse the extension of the trip abroad....wich lead me to the question I asked at the begining of this Topic:

If you entry is denied for whatever reason, can you take another flight few days later and try it again or its a permanent ban?

Many thanks.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Personally I'd say that since the VWP allows you to visit various places for up to 90 days, that must be a 'normal vacation time'. I wouldn't worry about it! I just wouldn't try to stay away for longer than that. You have the AP to show them when you come back...

Karen - Melbourne, Australia/John - Florida, USA

- Proposal (20 August 2000) to marriage (19 December 2004) - 4 years, 3 months, 25 days (1,578 days)

STAGE 1 - Applying for K1 (15 September 2003) to K1 Approval (13 July 2004) - 9 months, 29 days (303 days)

STAGE 2A - Arriving in US (4 Nov 2004) to AOS Application (16 April 2005) - 5 months, 13 days (164 days)

STAGE 2B - Applying for AOS to GC Approval - 9 months, 4 days (279 days)

STAGE 3 - Lifting Conditions. Filing (19 Dec 2007) to Approval (December 11 2008)

STAGE 4 - CITIZENSHIP (filing under 5-year rule - residency start date on green card Jan 11th, 2006)

*N400 filed December 15, 2011

*Interview March 12, 2012

*Oath Ceremony March 23, 2012.

ALL DONE!!!!!!!!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Thanks for answer me.

Anyway, many people in this forum still thinks that one could be denied at the POE becouse the extension of the trip abroad....wich lead me to the question I asked at the begining of this Topic:

If you entry is denied for whatever reason, can you take another flight few days later and try it again or its a permanent ban?

Many thanks.

I think it's fairly clear that none of us *knows* with any certainty. The only "sure"{ answer you can get is from an immigration attorney (many will let you ask one question like this for a nominal fee).

If your entry is denied for (whatever) reason, whether or not you can be admitted later depends on what the reason was for the denial in the first place.

There is no way to answer the question you ask.

Now That You Are A Permanent Resident

How Do I Remove The Conditions On Permanent Residence Based On Marriage?

Welcome to the United States: A Guide For New Immigrants

Yes, even this last one.. stuff in there that not even your USC knows.....

Here are more links that I love:

Arriving in America, The POE Drill

Dual Citizenship FAQ

Other Fora I Post To:

alt.visa.us.marriage-based http://britishexpats.com/ and www.***removed***.com

censored link = *family based immigration* website

Inertia. Is that the Greek god of 'can't be bothered'?

Met, married, immigrated, naturalized.

I-130 filed Aug02

USC Jul06

No Deje Piedras Sobre El Pavimento!

Actually, AP does not allow admission. It allows just what it's name says - parole. There's a difference.

Yodrak

AP isn't a guarantee of re-admission. Denial is unlikely, but possible.

Kezzie,

Yet, my wife and stepson were out of the USA for just about 3 months during the summer school break and were parolled back into the USA without question regarding the length of their vacation either at the POE or their adjustment interview.

Why do you think that they should or would have been quizzed?

Yodrak

Kezzie

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.