Bootylicious!!

Buying a computer

49 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm running Vista Home Premium on my home desktop (2GB 800mhz memory) - I can run Bioshock (a very hi-spec PC game) on that with no slow-down at all. 4GB is probably a good idea (if you can afford the upgrade), but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get away with 2, certainly not if you're just doing basic stuff.

My PC is very fast with just the 2GB.

Dell is a pretty good vendor these days, though their machines are still a little on the pricey side. However... their customer/tech service is a total turnaround from the Dell-Hell of a few years ago.

About a week ago I got a recurring error message appearing on my PC after startup - didn't affect the way the PC worked, but I had to close some annoying popups before I could actually use the thing. I went to the Dell website and was able to chat with one of their Technicians over IM, who was able to fix the problem over the internet - in much the same way that work IT folks do over corporate networks.

It is infinitely cheaper to build your own PC from component parts (from say Tiger Direct) and you can get a much higher spec machine for your money - but if you're not a techie yourself, you're on your own if you have a problem.

Edited by Number 6

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Timeline
I'm running Vista Home Premium on my home desktop (2GB 800mhz memory) - I can run Bioshock (a very hi-spec PC game) on that with no slow-down at all. 4GB is probably a good idea (if you can afford the upgrade), but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get away with 2, certainly not if you're just doing basic stuff.

Dell is a pretty good vendor these days, though their machines are still a little on the pricey side. However... their customer/tech service is a total turnaround from the Dell-Hell of a few years ago.

About a week ago I got a recurring error message appearing on my PC after startup - didn't affect the way the PC worked, but I had to close some annoying popups before I could actually use the thing. I went to the Dell website and was able to chat with one of their Technicians over IM, who was able to fix the problem over the internet - in much the same way that work IT folks do over corporate networks.

It is infinitely cheaper to build your own PC from component parts (from say Tiger Direct) and you can get a much higher spec machine for your money - but if you're not a techie yourself, you're on your own if you have a problem.

Right. I had someone suggest I build my own. I can figure out some things when it comes to fixing my own computer. If it's anything complex I haven't a clue. I would feel much better having one that comes ready to hook up and if I have any problems I can call someone and they will help me fix it.

I'm looking at Dell's. I think I'll compare those with some of the other computers at Best Buy and such then decide from there.

Just couldn't stay my @ss away!

Timeline

Right. I had someone suggest I build my own. I can figure out some things when it comes to fixing my own computer. If it's anything complex I haven't a clue. I would feel much better having one that comes ready to hook up and if I have any problems I can call someone and they will help me fix it.

I'm looking at Dell's. I think I'll compare those with some of the other computers at Best Buy and such then decide from there.

Don't just go by the cost of the machine - look at what they offer in terms of post-sale customer support. As I say a few years ago when you bought a comp you were essentially on your own after the warranty (no more than 12 month parts warranty) expired. These days you can get pretty good customer support - but that does factor into the cost of the machine.

You can also read reviews on different models over at CNET.com.

Cool! Thanks. I'll definitely be more aware this time when I go looking. Before I've just basically looked at price then decided if the memory and stuff looked halfway decent. I've never really looked at the customer support aspect of it.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Cool! Thanks. I'll definitely be more aware this time when I go looking. Before I've just basically looked at price then decided if the memory and stuff looked halfway decent. I've never really looked at the customer support aspect of it.

Dell is a safe bet. 2 GB RAM is a reasonable minimum these days, but memory is cheap anyway, about $30/GB. CPU speed really doesn't matter anymore. The "Pentium D" processors are actually the same chip as the Core2 duos, you won't notice any difference between the two.

A larger LCD makes a bigger difference in usability than anything else. (I have 3 19" LCDs on my computer, nice to have email plus 2 web browsers up. The LCDs were about $150 each). A single 24" wide screen is a reasonable minimum now.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Suh-weet! Those computers look awesome. I might just have to go that route. I like the slim sleek look.

i've been spending some major time on dell in the past few days. i'll send you the screenshot of the comp i've been picking out, it's about 850. note that depending on where you start off in the dell website depends on what your choices are. the link i started off with i didn't have to pick a monitor.

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

If you are running Vista, I would look for the following specs:

4gb Ram

64-bit Vista version..

Intel E8200 CPU minimum

256mb ram video card.

320gb and up Hard disk

19" or 20" monitor

Personally I really like HP products and they have some good deals now.

With the above specs you are looking at spending roughly around $750 but your PC will deliver rock solid performance. The key is the graphics card, ram and CPU for Vista.

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Suh-weet! Those computers look awesome. I might just have to go that route. I like the slim sleek look.

i've been spending some major time on dell in the past few days. i'll send you the screenshot of the comp i've been picking out, it's about 850. note that depending on where you start off in the dell website depends on what your choices are. the link i started off with i didn't have to pick a monitor.

Thanks!

If you are running Vista, I would look for the following specs:

4gb Ram

64-bit Vista version..

Intel E8200 CPU minimum

256mb ram video card.

320gb and up Hard disk

19" or 20" monitor

Personally I really like HP products and they have some good deals now.

With the above specs you are looking at spending roughly around $750 but your PC will deliver rock solid performance. The key is the graphics card, ram and CPU for Vista.

Thanks! That will help a lot. So far, I've only found one computer with more than 2GB of ram and it's $900. I'm hoping I'm just overlooking something.

Look at HP.com and select the "Versatile Performance" PC, from desktop PC

The HP Pavilion a6460t series is good value with great performance..

According to the Internal Revenue Service, the 400 richest American households earned a total of $US138 billion, up from $US105 billion a year earlier. That's an average of $US345 million each, on which they paid a tax rate of just 16.6 per cent.

Timeline
By the time I add everything the price is outrageous. I think I might just be better off sticking with Walmart. Apparently I don't want that great of a computer after all. :lol:

If you're not playing games or into photo-editing you really don't need to spend more than $500 or so.

Filed: Country: Indonesia
Timeline

We bought ours last year from Dell - it was during somekind of promo - apparently more than 1 promo at any time. Anyway, the promo code we found off some deals website is better than the code being featured on the website.

We spent on the higher side because my husband plays a lot of PC games on it.

Good luck!

I-130

Jun 28 2004 : Received at NSC

Oct 25 2004 : Transferred to CSC

Oct 29 2004 : Received at CSC

Nov 8 2004 : Received response from CSC that my file is being requested & review will be done

Nov 10 2004 : Email & online status Approved

Nov 15 2004 : NOA 2 in mail

Dec 16 2004 : NVC assigns case number

Dec 20 2004 : NVC sent DS 3032 to beneficiary, copy of DS 3032 & I-864 fee bill to petitioner

Jan 3 2005 : Petitioner received copy of DS 3032 and I-864 fee bill. Post-marked Dec 23rd.

Jan 11 2005 : Beneficiary received DS 3032 in Indonesia

Jan 31 2005 : Sent DS 3032 to NVC

Feb 8, 2005 : NVC received DS 3032

Feb 21, 2005 : IV fee generated

Feb 25, 2005 : Sent I-864 fee bill

Feb 28, 2005 : I-864 fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 3, 2005 : IV fee bill received

Mar 7, 2005 : Sent IV fee bill

Mar 9, 2005 : IV fee bill delivered to St Louis

Mar 28, 2005 : I-864 fee credited against case.

April 6, 2005 : Received I-864 package

April 7, 2005 : Immigrant Visa fee credited against case.

April 11, 2005 : DS 230 is generated

Aug 12, 2005 : I-864 & DS 230 received by NVC

Sep 14, 2005 : RFE on I-864

Nov 3, 2005 : Checklist response received at NVC

Nov 25, 2005 : Case completion

Dec 9, 2005 : Police Cert requested from the Netherlands

Jan 12 2006 : Interview success - Approved !!

Jan 19 2006 : Visa & brown envelope picked up

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Although I would never buy from Dell, HP or Gateway, I suppose machines from those companies might be "okay" for a while if you're only using them for basic tasks. Personally, I tend to prefer computers from vendors like Alienware, VoodooPC or even Falcon-Northwest. But they're also a little pricier.

By the time I add everything the price is outrageous. I think I might just be better off sticking with Walmart. Apparently I don't want that great of a computer after all. :lol:

Hmm. Yeah it works out a bit of $1,000. At that price thought he PC will last a few years..

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Hmm. Yeah it works out a bit of $1,000. At that price thought he PC will last a few years..

That's a great deal, by the way. Very affordable. :yes: