Lisax

Anyone taken their driving test in Rhode Island?

31 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Actually, the examiner was a jerk, as I mentioned. Because my husband only speaks English as a Second language, I did the initial communication. He abruptly said, "You can't be in the car. If he doesn't understand my commands, we won't even leave the lot."

Yeah, that arena is very strange...I live and work in that 'hood and never even noticed it.

I took my first driver's test in Attleboro and it was with a DMV examiner...never seen a Statie doing it!

Joined Blog Dorkdom. Read here: Visit My Website

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Warwick too! not far from Tollgate High School. :)

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

My husband is coming with me to the drivers test, but he can't be in the car with me during the test?

.png

.png

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hmm...If you never seen a Statie doing it, then now you know there are cities in MA that Statie are used as examiners. To begin with, that is how I got my license. Not by a DMV examiner. This was the year I went to college. Other people had Statie do it too. It depends on where you live. I'm not someone who hallucinated, don't play ignorance that just because you had a DMV rep do your exam, no other entity could've done it.

Anyway, I do hate RI drivers crossing into I-195 east torwards NEW BEDFORD. They sure drive weird. Sometime it says 55 mph on Rte 6, and they drive 30 mph instead. Most times on the freeway, esp on I-195 in MA, they drive their usual RI speed limit of 55 mph instead of th MA 65 mph. These are the RIslander who drive on 24 North from Newport, Middletown, and Tiverton. Weird drivers! Seth McFarlen (Family Guy Writer) loves to make fun of them.

Edited by consolemaster

mooninitessomeonesetusupp6.jpg

Timeline
My husband is coming with me to the drivers test, but he can't be in the car with me during the test?

Most definitely not! Best of luck! I'm sure you'll do wonderfully.

Hmm...If you never seen a Statie doing it, then now you know there are cities in MA that Statie are used as examiners. To begin with, that is how I got my license. Not by a DMV examiner. This was the year I went to college. Other people had Statie do it too. It depends on where you live. I'm not someone who hallucinated, don't play ignorance that just because you had a DMV rep do your exam, no other entity could've done it.

Anyway, I do hate RI drivers crossing into I-195 east torwards NEW BEDFORD. They sure drive weird. Sometime it says 55 mph on Rte 6, and they drive 30 mph instead. Most times on the freeway, esp on I-195 in MA, they drive their usual RI speed limit of 55 mph instead of th MA 65 mph. These are the RIslander who drive on 24 North from Newport, Middletown, and Tiverton. Weird drivers! Seth McFarlen (Family Guy Writer) loves to make fun of them.

You must chill! I simply stated that I'd never seen a statie do a driving test. Nowhere did I state that I did not believe it was done since I'd never seen it. That would be ridiculous.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Panama
Timeline
I was just wondering if anyone has taken their drivers test in Rhode Island. I have mine on Friday, just a little bit nervous only reason being I don't want to look stupid if I fail as I have already have a UK drivers license and have been driving for over 7 years! If anyone has taken it around here, I'd appreciate any tips.

I took mine in 1985,when I got my license for the first time.You won't fail,it's a piece of cake.

May 7,2007-USCIS received I-129f
July 24,2007-NOA1 was received
April 21,2008-K-1 visa denied.
June 3,2008-waiver filed at US Consalate in Panama
The interview went well,they told him it will take another 6 months for them to adjudicate the waiver
March 3,2009-US Consulate claims they have no record of our December visit,nor Manuel's interview
March 27,2009-Manuel returned to the consulate for another interrogation(because they forgot about December's interview),and they were really rude !
April 3,2009-US Counsalate asks for more court documents that no longer exist !
June 1,2009-Manuel and I go back to the US consalate AGAIN to give them a letter from the court in Colon along with documents I already gave them last year.I was surprised to see they had two thick files for his case !

June 15,2010-They called Manuel in to take his fingerprints again,still no decision on his case!
June 22,2010-WAIVER APPROVED at 5:00pm
July 19,2010-VISA IN MANUELITO'S HAND at 3:15pm!
July 25,2010-Manuelito arrives at 9:35pm at Logan Intn'l Airport,Boston,MA
August 5,2010-FINALLY MARRIED!!!!!!!!!!!!
August 23,2010-Filed for AOS at the International Institute of RI $1400!
December 23,2010-Work authorization received.
January 12,2011-RFE

Filed: Country: Georgia
Timeline
I was just wondering if anyone has taken their drivers test in Rhode Island. I have mine on Friday, just a little bit nervous only reason being I don't want to look stupid if I fail as I have already have a UK drivers license and have been driving for over 7 years! If anyone has taken it around here, I'd appreciate any tips.

I think in general you should be prepared for anything as they could ask you to do it all.

That said, I took my DL test in Rhode Island a few months ago (I am the USC but have been living abroad for a long time), and I was totally nervous they were going to ask me to parallel park, do hand signals, etc. So I practiced like crazy for the month I was in the states (which is like the only time i was able to practice since I am almost never in the states). Anyway, I have to say I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to show off my excellent parallel parking that I practiced so much at. But honestly, I was shocked at how little I did. We drove about 3 blocks, made ONLY right turns. I had only two stop signs and then was asked to back straight up in a line and that was ALL. The whole thing was less than 10 minutes and it was so quick I thought I must have done something really wrong. But he told me everything was fine and that maybe I should stop for longer at the stop sign.. or something like that.. honestly I think he didn't care at all and just wanted the whole thing to hurry up so he had to say I did something wrong.. .because who gets a perfect score?

So yeah. In my experience, Rhode Island is the strangest of states and generally not the most rigid when it comes to laws. Its a strange state I think....

Anyway, of course you should practice everything :) safe drivers are better for everyone! But if you have been driving for years in the UK I don't think you should have a problem, just make sure you don't drive on the left side of the road!

Good luck!

Timeline

Its true! They do drive strangely. Actually, I don't know where it was but I saw some research on the worst drivers in america (they did a massive survey of drivers in every state) and found that RI drivers were the worst in America.... and I really wasnt surprised.

The thing about RI is that its so small that I think people their feel like family, so most people drive like everyone is friends... which is all good, except that they will often stop their car and let a bunch of people pass or enter when they clearly have the right of way. I get very confused when I stop at a four way stop AFTER someone else has stopped and they wave me thru. Has anyone else noticed this? Also RI drivers don't usually know how to use a turn lane and instead they cut straight across it when turning. Also very weird.

I hope no RIlanders get offended :) I love the state... but it is a bit odd compared to the other states I have lived in.

oh! Here it is: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insura...car/P151501.asp

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I love RI, inlaws live in Middletown, always look forward going up there in the summer and occasionally in the winter. Always have to stop at the Creamery!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

I think in general you should be prepared for anything as they could ask you to do it all.

That said, I took my DL test in Rhode Island a few months ago (I am the USC but have been living abroad for a long time), and I was totally nervous they were going to ask me to parallel park, do hand signals, etc. So I practiced like crazy for the month I was in the states (which is like the only time i was able to practice since I am almost never in the states). Anyway, I have to say I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get to show off my excellent parallel parking that I practiced so much at. But honestly, I was shocked at how little I did. We drove about 3 blocks, made ONLY right turns. I had only two stop signs and then was asked to back straight up in a line and that was ALL. The whole thing was less than 10 minutes and it was so quick I thought I must have done something really wrong. But he told me everything was fine and that maybe I should stop for longer at the stop sign.. or something like that.. honestly I think he didn't care at all and just wanted the whole thing to hurry up so he had to say I did something wrong.. .because who gets a perfect score?

So yeah. In my experience, Rhode Island is the strangest of states and generally not the most rigid when it comes to laws. Its a strange state I think....

Anyway, of course you should practice everything :) safe drivers are better for everyone! But if you have been driving for years in the UK I don't think you should have a problem, just make sure you don't drive on the left side of the road!

Good luck!

Hi!

Thank you, I really appreciate your account on what happened on your test. I think I'm prepared, as I said I've been driving a while, I haven't really practiced much parallel parking, but if I'm asked I will try my best. But from what you've said and what I've heard from other people, the test is easy peasy, I'm sure I'll be fine!

Thank you again! :)

I love RI, inlaws live in Middletown, always look forward going up there in the summer and occasionally in the winter. Always have to stop at the Creamery!!

ooh yes! love the creamery!

.png

.png

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Timeline

Its true! They do drive strangely. Actually, I don't know where it was but I saw some research on the worst drivers in america (they did a massive survey of drivers in every state) and found that RI drivers were the worst in America.... and I really wasnt surprised.

The thing about RI is that its so small that I think people their feel like family, so most people drive like everyone is friends... which is all good, except that they will often stop their car and let a bunch of people pass or enter when they clearly have the right of way. I get very confused when I stop at a four way stop AFTER someone else has stopped and they wave me thru. Has anyone else noticed this? Also RI drivers don't usually know how to use a turn lane and instead they cut straight across it when turning. Also very weird.

I hope no RIlanders get offended :) I love the state... but it is a bit odd compared to the other states I have lived in.

oh! Here it is: http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/Insura...car/P151501.asp

No offense taken! :) I remember when that study came out, and people were perversely proud of that designation of worst drivers. In the year following, I beleive RI dropped from #1 to #3.

Actually, I can't quite say that I'm a RI driver, as I grew up in Seekonk and just recently finally changed my license over to RI.

I don't know if it's in all of New England, but the most terrifying part about driving here is that people constantly screw through yellow lights, and are even still going through when it's decidedly red.

I'm not familiar with that phrase you used...turn lane? What's that? ;)

Timeline
No offense taken! :) I remember when that study came out, and people were perversely proud of that designation of worst drivers. In the year following, I beleive RI dropped from #1 to #3.

Actually, I can't quite say that I'm a RI driver, as I grew up in Seekonk and just recently finally changed my license over to RI.

I don't know if it's in all of New England, but the most terrifying part about driving here is that people constantly screw through yellow lights, and are even still going through when it's decidedly red.

I'm not familiar with that phrase you used...turn lane? What's that? ;)

Hah hah! You are right a true RIlander would probably go straight through the yellow light UNLESS a friend was in the intersection. In which case, he/she would let him/her go first.

Although now that I have been living in Georgia (Rep.) for the last few years, I think my idea of good driving is seriously skewed as drivers out here are by far the absolute worst drivers I have encountered pretty much anywhere in the world. Nobody uses turn signals here, and i am pretty sure that even using one could be considered a sign of weakness.... :blink:

:dance::thumbs::D

PASSED! hehe, I passed the drivers test! woohoooo! eh couldn't have been anymore easier! the test literally lasted 5 minutes! :blink: I did a few left turns, a few right turns, thats it! no reversing back, 3 point turns, just driving around for 5 mins! hehe, soo glad that is done!

Thank you for all your helps guys! I appreciate all of your advice!

:star:

.png

.png

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
:dance::thumbs::D

PASSED! hehe, I passed the drivers test! woohoooo! eh couldn't have been anymore easier! the test literally lasted 5 minutes! :blink: I did a few left turns, a few right turns, thats it! no reversing back, 3 point turns, just driving around for 5 mins! hehe, soo glad that is done!

Thank you for all your helps guys! I appreciate all of your advice!

:star:

CONGRATULATIONS! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.