jhon85

divorce before entring usa

39 posts in this topic

hi this is first time im posting

i have an immigrent visa valid for 6 months IR1 which is about to expire in few months my usc wife is in usa and things are not good between us and she is planning to divorce so i want to knw can i still go to usa as i already have a valid visa?thnx in advance

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you have ir1 you have ir1.

9/2006 Met in Sweden

2/2007 Began Dating in Holland

11/24/2007 Married (nairobi)

Clerk wedding 12/14/2007 (nairobi)

12/21/2007 Filed DCF

2/13/2008 Interview 221g

Waiting

3/26/2008 Approved

3 months 6 days from filing to approval including 221g AP.

If the IR-1 is till valid then you can enter to USA without any problem and because your divorce is in process,you can file to remove the conditions(from conditional 2yrs greencard) right after you get divorced(you don't have to wait for 2 years)..I wish you good luck and hope it helps.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

If the IR-1 is till valid then you can enter to USA without any problem and because your divorce is in process,you can file to remove the conditions(from conditional 2yrs greencard) right after you get divorced(you don't have to wait for 2 years)..I wish you good luck and hope it helps.

With an IR1 visa, you enter as a permanent resident with no conditions. It's up to you.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

then you would get a unconditional green card

Nov 2nd 2006 met online

June 28th 2007 sent 1-129f to NSC

July 11th 2007 NOA-1 received date on NOA-1 (now at CSC)

July 19th 2007 NAO 1 Reciept date on NOA-1

Nov 21st 2007 NOA-2

Dec 13th 2007 - arrives at NVC

Dec 20th 2007 - leaves NVC on route to GUZ

March 10th 2008- P3 sent & returned

April 9th 2008- P-4

May 22nd 2008 interview

Tracking:

Filing to Noa -1 -13 days

NOA-1 to NOA-2 - 133 days

NOA-2 to NVC - 22 days

NVC Processing - 7 days

NVC to GUZ - 81 days

P-3 to interview - 73 days

Interview to visa - 10 days

Filing to visa- 341 days

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

why do that ?

Edited by Rob & Jin

Nov 2nd 2006 met online

June 28th 2007 sent 1-129f to NSC

July 11th 2007 NOA-1 received date on NOA-1 (now at CSC)

July 19th 2007 NAO 1 Reciept date on NOA-1

Nov 21st 2007 NOA-2

Dec 13th 2007 - arrives at NVC

Dec 20th 2007 - leaves NVC on route to GUZ

March 10th 2008- P3 sent & returned

April 9th 2008- P-4

May 22nd 2008 interview

Tracking:

Filing to Noa -1 -13 days

NOA-1 to NOA-2 - 133 days

NOA-2 to NVC - 22 days

NVC Processing - 7 days

NVC to GUZ - 81 days

P-3 to interview - 73 days

Interview to visa - 10 days

Filing to visa- 341 days

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline
so can i tel at poe tht i am divorced and can i change my address because it will be the first time im goin to usa

You don't have to tell them anything. Just answer their questions and I don't think they will ask you if you are happily married or not.

Why don't you guys wait with the divorce until you are in the US?

I don't know, but this whole situation sounds strange to me...

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

we have been married for long and i never wnt divorce never happy with divorce bt she wants divorce and ofcourse she wouldnt want me to enter in usa thts why i was askin about the questions which can be asked at poe

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
we have been married for long and i never wnt divorce never happy with divorce bt she wants divorce and ofcourse she wouldnt want me to enter in usa thts why i was askin about the questions which can be asked at poe

Generally, there are no serious questions at the POE as long as the paperwork is in order. IR1 visas are generally not a point of concern, since the marriage is considered bona fide when the visa is issued. You can tell the POE folks a new address if you want. They'll need an address to send the green card and social security card. Welcome to the USA.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Good luck.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: Timeline
hi this is first time im posting

i have an immigrent visa valid for 6 months IR1 which is about to expire in few months my usc wife is in usa and things are not good between us and she is planning to divorce so i want to knw can i still go to usa as i already have a valid visa?thnx in advance

The answers you got sound like "wishful thinking" and not based on facts.

Your visa was issued with a sole purpose to allow you to enter the USA and to live with your spouse. If you divorce before entering USA, visa is invalid. If you enter the USA using IR-1 visa without the intent to live with your spose, you are misrepresenting yourself.

Immigration officer at POE suppose to verify if the reason that the visa was issued still exists, or in words of IO manual Inspecting New Immigrant Apllicants: "you will need to insure that either a qualifying relationship or offer of employment continue to exist."

John,

don't you worry about this situation

your marriage is already more than 2 years and thats why it is considered legimate and bonafide...and its your personal problems and life,its not your liability to let INS know that you are in process of divorce,thats your life.things were different if you were married less than 2 yrs(cr-1).welcome to USA and you can change your address whenever and wherever you want.God Bless you and Good luck.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.