Prawninator

What to send?

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Singapore
Timeline

*sigh*

In my opinion, this wouldn't have happened if the person knew what she was doing when she said she did. We specifically and personally asked if she handled immigration cases, and she said yes, and even told us that one of the cases was her brother's. So naturally, we went with it. A big mistake on our part, we now realize. We've made nothing but mistakes over the past two years, to tell you the truth. First time, we never got around to sending the form until a year later. A year later, it was sent by normal mail (something that woman would've done as well if I hadn't made a long-distance call to her bloody office from Singapore), and that one got lost in-transit. Now, THIS.

I wish there was an easier way to do this. And people wonder why there are so many illegal aliens there. It's because the legal process is so damn frustrating and painful. Trying to find an immigration lawyer is easy. Trying to find an immigration lawyer in Boise, Idaho isn't that easy. Trying to find an immigration lawyer in Boise Idaho that doesn't specialize with Mexicans is even harder. Getting one to respond to emails... heh. I've tried.

It's difficult for Karl and I to do anything together while we're apart. It's not that we don't want to. My work schedule and his work schedule are erratic, and the only times that we can call each other while we're both awake would be when he's at work, or when I'm at work where we're both not allowed to use the phone for prolonged period of time. We can only make short phonecalls, one before he goes to bed when I'm at work, one before I go to bed when he's at work, lasting a total daily average of about 2 minutes.

I was just curious though... anyone know any immigration lawyers in Boise that may be able to help?

Karl and I have a very low budget, so I'm not sure if anyone will even take up our case. :(

Edited by P&K

Do you really feel that you need a lawyer?

Is your case complicated?

Overstays, serious criminal backgrounds, children from previous marriages with unwilling to help biological parent????

If not, you don't need a lawyer.

Everything you need to file is right here on VJ.

It's all spelled out in the guides (tabs at the top)...yes, it's confusing at first but if you read it over, it's actually quite simple to follow a list and mail in what is on it.

There is even example forms here that show how to fill out the forms.

If you really feel you need an immigration lawyer, go for it. But if you have a straight forward case, save yourself the thousands of dollars for future needs (Such as AOS which costs 1010.00)

Work together with this (Call in sick for a day if need be and make the effort to get together), read it all over and keep each other organized....the majority of people on VJ did this themselves without the assistance of lawyers or outside companies....you can do it too!

P.S. I see you met in WoW ;) That's where Nick and I fell in love too!

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Another thing...

I'm the foreign fiance and I did the majority of the work alone. I kept Nick informed of what was going on and what he needed to fill out but, let's face it, sometimes men just take their time with this stuff and I'm super organized when it comes to this stuff.

I got everything together, filled it all out and mailed it to him. I put sticky notes on everything, telling him how to put the package together and he mailed it out.

So if you really feel you can't get together for even a few hours (online over webcam) Then maybe one of you should decide to take over and get it done right.

We got our NOA2 in 3 months with no RFE's and no lawyer.

We had looked for a lawyer at first and they wanted 1800 bucks. I was SO glad I found VJ, it saved us so much money!!!!

:)

Edited by ~Laura and Nick~

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Many things seem strange to me:

You claim that first K1 was lost in transit to service center, and it took 6 months before you/he thought it may be a problem.

Certified or registered mail will take care of that in a heartbeat.

Now a year later, he re files and goes to some dime store legal convience store and only sends the I 129F.

Why don't you take over the process, you can downlaod forms and fill them out and have him sign them.

youregonnalovemynutsf.jpg

"He always start the fire here in VJ thread and I believe all people will agree with me about it"

Timeline

Thank you for your feedback, tallcoolone :)

Many things seem strange to me:

You claim that first K1 was lost in transit to service center, and it took 6 months before you/he thought it may be a problem. I did not know how long it would take before getting the NOA1. Hell, I didn't even know what an NOA was before I came to this site.

Certified or registered mail will take care of that in a heartbeat. That's what he neglected to do.

Now a year later, he re files and goes to some dime store legal convience store and only sends the I 129F. We have since realized our mistake; seemed credible at the time. :(

Why don't you take over the process, you can downlaod forms and fill them out and have him sign them. That's what I'm doing right at this very moment :P

Karl is a man of convenience; and we're not exactly affluent to begin with, which is why we went to the We The People people at the recommendation of a friend. It might have better success in other states, I do not know. But all I can say is that I will never trust them again.

Either way, I'm gathering up the updated documents and sending them to him again for him to re-file, or wait for an RFE (or six? haha.) and then carry on from there, with or without the We The People's help. We have found a lawyer who is not able to help us in the legal processes (he isn't qualified for immigration), but knows enough to see what is required and what is not, consultation fees need apply only.

I'm having a hard time with this, but you guys have been very supportive and informative thus far, and for that I am extremely grateful. :)

Also, Laura, it's way cool you guys met on a videogame too! :D I guess the world is shrinking with the introduction of internet into most people's daily lives. :P

- P

Well I'm glad that you are finally taking over and getting it done.

I find it kind of funny too, where is the communication?

You knew at the beginning all the lingo and terminology of the different files needed, you knew about the G-235A, the letter of intent, etc. etc.

Why didn't you voice this to Karl before he even let that stupid "we the people" guys send off your petition??

You would think he would say to you "okay, this is what I was told to send" and you would have been like "Hold up, that doesn't sound right."

Oh well, can't go back and change the past now....I'm glad things are looking up and you guys can finally be on your way. Why you want to fork out more money for a lawyer to help you read a list to see what you need to send in is beyond me, but, whatever floats your boat.

Best of luck! :)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Timeline
Why you want to fork out more money for a lawyer to help you read a list to see what you need to send in is beyond me, but, whatever floats your boat.

He's a nice guy. We can probably pay him in coffee ;)

Why you want to fork out more money for a lawyer to help you read a list to see what you need to send in is beyond me, but, whatever floats your boat.

He's a nice guy. We can probably pay him in coffee ;)

Lawyer taking coffee as their fee? LOL ha! :lol: I think not! LOL

Nice thought though ;)

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline

Laura -

It isn't difficult to understand why some people prefer to have others fill out documents for them. Some people just aren't good at it. In this instance that is clearly the case.

There's certainly nothing wrong with hiring competent legal counsel to tend to your immigration needs. It's far better than using an 'online service'.

:blink:

sorry to say that, but you're waisting your time again...

if you don't wanna wait longer than you could, gather your papers ASAP and send everything. i mean EVERYTHING!

People get RFE for some silly reasons and you're only sending one form??? OUCH!

.png

UURI.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

It is sad that those "guaranteed" preparers are not controlled by someone.

I would give them a call and DEMANDED a refund. I would also contact the Consumer Protection Department in your state.

As for the case itself, call USCIS and ask them what to do, i was calling them a few times durning the process and was able to speak to someone after holding no longer than 10 minutes.

Also, all the forms have pretty good instructions, read them carefully.

As for breaking something, don't brake anything that you will miss later :D

I will keep my fingers crossed for you guys.

Timeline
Laura -

It isn't difficult to understand why some people prefer to have others fill out documents for them. Some people just aren't good at it. In this instance that is clearly the case.

There's certainly nothing wrong with hiring competent legal counsel to tend to your immigration needs. It's far better than using an 'online service'.

Wow, condescending much?

Filed: Other Timeline
Laura -

Wow, condescending much?

*sigh*

It wasn't meant as condescending. I apologize if it came across that way. I was trying to defend the fact that not everyone is comfortable with processing their own paperwork.

This is a DIY site so naturally a lot of members are rather vociferous in their defense of doing your own paperwork. It's my opinion that while that works for some people, it doesn't for others. Some people just don't like to do paperwork; some are too busy; some aren't good at it. It's not an attack, a jugement call, or being condescending. It's just a fact and IMO there's nothing wrong with realizing you fall into the category. It is wrong, IMO, for people to 'insist' you can do it yourself if that's just not your thing.

I'm also of the opinion that if one is going to use an attorney one needs to check out their credentials and experience. The professional designation 'attorney' does not automatically equate with 'competence'.

I am critical of the use of online 'legal' services. I personally believe they prey on individuals who hope they can get something for nothing and my opinion comes from professional knowledge.

Like I said, I'm sorry if it came off as condescending. It's not our 'job' around here to convince people to process their own paperwork. It's our 'responsibility' (if we are going to be active members of the forum) to encourage people to do what is right for them personally.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.