SnowyTater

Affidavit of Support

28 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Guys I've been posting all over the forums on this and I'm sorry if I'm getting on people's nerves, but it's freaking me out and I can't find the answers :(

So been researching better now...I still don't understand where people (seems like most people) are getting that you have to submit the past 3 years worth of tax returns for the Affidavit of support?

I've read that it varies embassy by embassy. Here's what I and my mother (my co-sponsor, the one with the actual money) have gotten together:

1. Letters from our employers with salary, start date, standing in company

2. Several of our most recent paystubs

3. a letter from the bank giving the details of our account - current balance, when it's opened, what's been deposited in the last year.

Oh, my mom's well over the poverty line btw so we're not doing assets or anything. I make a penance and am a student so they're probably just gonna toss mine aside.

I've read that if you make plenty of salary, the ONLY thing you have to provide is tax returns?? When I've yet to see anything providing tax returns at all. On the instructions for the I-134, it says to give these only if you're self-employed which we're not.

Here's the link I've found for the London embassy's requirements from the sponsor with the I-134: link

It says:

To substantiate the information regarding income and resources the sponsor should attached two or more of the following items to the affidavit.

notarized copies of his or her latest federal income tax return;

a statement from his or her employer showing salary and the length and permanency of employment;

a statement from an officer of a bank regarding his or her account, the date the account was opened and the present balance;

any other evidence adequate to establish financial ability to carry out his or her undertaking toward the applicant for what might be an indefinite period of time.

So, according to this, to fulfill the London embassy's requirements I must provide two of the above, and I've provided 3 (with 'other' being paystubs). Yet people are still acting like tax information (3 years specifically, why?) is the most important part.

Sorry guys, I'm just freaking out. If it varies by embassy I guess I just wanted to know other UK'ers' experiences :( Thanks.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

I think what you've got sounds good to me. I'm going to do tax returns just because that will be easier for me than going to the bank president for a letter. The page you referenced it the same one I had bookmarked. Somewhere in the K1 info or maybe the London info, I also read that it's only 100% of the poverty level for the K1, not the 125% required later on for the Adjustment of Status.

Edited by Nich-Nick

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

I think what you've got sounds good to me. I'm going to do tax returns just because that will be easier for me than going to the bank president for a letter. The page you referenced it the same one I had bookmarked. Somewhere in the K1 info or maybe the London info, I also read that it's only 100% of the poverty level for the K1, not the 125% required later on for the Adjustment of Status.

Why does it only need to be 100% poverty level for the K1, when you need to AOS withing 90 days anyway? I thought it clearly states it has to be 125%

beach_1_001.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

I went through London a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted the signed, original affidavit of support, and that was IT :)

I had all manner of other bumph, and it never even came out of its folder... not saying it's not best to be prepared, but I wouldn't stress too much if I were you :)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

I did CR-1, so they should have been more strict, since it's the eqivilent of AOS, I had 3 years tax returns and they only kept one. I had photocopies of my MIL's passport, bank account statment, recent pay stubs. They didn't ask for any of it. If that's what they're like for CR-1, you'll be fine for K-1. :star:

The UK Wiki

Timeline

Thanks a lot guys :) You're like...awesome.

My SO is killing himself stressing out over there - this and finals week for university together. We're both like...AAAHHH just now :lol:

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
Thanks a lot guys :) You're like...awesome.

My SO is killing himself stressing out over there - this and finals week for university together. We're both like...AAAHHH just now :lol:

Look on the bright side if you can do finals week you can handle getting a visa it is only slightly harder. :yes:

What to expect at the POE - WIKI entry

IR-1 Timeline IR-1 details in my timeline

N-400 Timeline

2009-08-21 Applied for US Citizenship

2009-08-28 NOA

2009-09-22 Biometrics appointment

2009-12-01 Interview - Approved

2009-12-02 Oath ceremony - now a US Citizen

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

...after which he will say 'was that IT?!' ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I sent the I-134, three years of taz returns, letter from employer, and a letter from the bank...sounds like it might be overkill, but as STP says, better to be prepared....

Darren is starting to show signs of stress...always can tell, he watches StarTrek NG NON-STOP while we're online...but I never give hima hard time about it, since he still talks to me....

NINE days to go, but who's counting?

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

I sent the I-134, three years of taz returns, letter from employer, and a letter from the bank...sounds like it might be overkill, but as STP says, better to be prepared....

Darren is starting to show signs of stress...always can tell, he watches StarTrek NG NON-STOP while we're online...but I never give hima hard time about it, since he still talks to me....

NINE days to go, but who's counting?

LOL sounds like Kris though he watches comedians!!! Now if only we had 9days to go as well. :whistle:

Filed: Other Timeline
I went through London a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted the signed, original affidavit of support, and that was IT :)

I had all manner of other bumph, and it never even came out of its folder... not saying it's not best to be prepared, but I wouldn't stress too much if I were you :)

Prettiest -

You gave them JUST the affidavit? No supporting documents?

That is what we did 2.5 years ago.

Timeline

I'm still just worried about the tax stuff. It's obviously the best proof to show and if it were all my business and up to me, I'd totally get it. But it's my mom's and she's like...already been bugged to death about all this, and I wasn't too clear at first on everything needed either, lots my fault, etc :( Didn't want to have to bug her again for tax things and I've never even made enough to file so pfft to that one.

Man if only there was a secret Trekkie handshake when you go in the embassy for automatic approval :D You know I've never even seen Star Trek.

My sweetie and I never really get to see each other these days...this semester has killed us both and our technologies right now suck, it's hard. I'm flying over in like a month though and we really, really need it, this is all bah. But it's SO exciting with the end in sight, god life's about to get so good :)

green congratulations in advance when Darren does get through :yes: Whoo hoo! :dance:

Timeline

Rebeccajo how do you find this stuff :lol:

Oi :( ...it's just inconsistent, you know? This is the guidebook for the adjudicators, I guess, in which it very much prioritizes tax returns. But in the I-134 instructions it doesn't even mention them as an option, let alone a main necessity, except if you're self employed; and then with the London embassy's specific instructions, it just says provide at least 2 of 4 types of evidence.

Man I don't know :( Blargh. I'm just worried that it's been so long with ours. We got our NOA2 at the end of February and Iain only just sent packet 3 back to them this WEEK, that sounds really really terrible right? o_O I know it's good for four months but it also says asap. But it was send to his permanent address in Edinburgh and he's in school in London and couldn't go home for a good while, and the post office at his school is really ####### and basically open to anyone who wants to steal your mail so we were afraid to have it forwarded.

I think I'm probably going to end up sending everything in without the tax returns info. I guess the worst that'll happen is they request more and we're held up a couple weeks which is no problem. I don't think they're gonna issue a bonds thing for us or anything like that, no way is he going to be a public charge. We'll just cross our fingers and hope I guess :(

Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.