SnowyTater

Affidavit of Support

28 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

The info on I134 is inconsistent because......well read the instructions for it.

Insofar as proof of income goes, it only states 'sufficient'.

Your best way of knowing what you need is to go by recent anecdotal evidence. London traditionally is not really tough on the financials. Lately I read they want the most recent year's tax return. They never need three unless the person is self employed.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
I went through London a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted the signed, original affidavit of support, and that was IT :)

I had all manner of other bumph, and it never even came out of its folder... not saying it's not best to be prepared, but I wouldn't stress too much if I were you :)

Prettiest -

You gave them JUST the affidavit? No supporting documents?

That is what we did 2.5 years ago.

yep :)

I had the other stuff - a letter from his employer, some pay stubs, three lots of tax returns - and they never even mentioned it; just took the affidavit, said thank you very much, and went on to the next bit :)

seems like I timewarped ;)

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

I went through London a couple of weeks ago, and they wanted the signed, original affidavit of support, and that was IT :)

I had all manner of other bumph, and it never even came out of its folder... not saying it's not best to be prepared, but I wouldn't stress too much if I were you :)

Prettiest -

You gave them JUST the affidavit? No supporting documents?

That is what we did 2.5 years ago.

yep :)

I had the other stuff - a letter from his employer, some pay stubs, three lots of tax returns - and they never even mentioned it; just took the affidavit, said thank you very much, and went on to the next bit :)

seems like I timewarped ;)

LOL....

Nah, I don't think it's 'timewarping'. I've heard of it happening now and then. We were like you - we had a mountain of information (in fact I carried it all in a wheeled case). But when Wes was interviewed, the guy asked for the affidavit and because that is what he asked for, that's all I gave him. I even asked (after he seemed satisfied) if he needed anything else and he said 'no'.

Here at VJ we rely on anecdotal consular accounts to come up with methods for preparing for interview. A few months ago it appeared London was requesting tax returns from all beneficiaries (they had never particularly wanted them before). At the time this started happening, I wondered if it was really a new requirement or just a new CO on the window.

The I134 is a 'yardstick' document. There's little about it that's set in stone and that confuses people.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

wow, a wheeled case; that's true dedication :lol:

when did they stop allowing partners to attend the interview? I saw a number of people turned away while I was in line (and I know a lot of people here had to leave someone waiting outside, to pace nervously around the square like a new father outside the delivery room ;) )

061017001as.thumb.jpg

The Very Secret Diary of Legolas Son of Weenus - by Cassandra Claire

Day One: Went to Council of Elrond. Was prettiest person there. Agreed to follow some tiny little man to Mordor to throw ring into volcano. Very important mission - gold ring so tacky.

Day Six: Far too dark in Mines of Moria to brush hair properly. Am very afraid I am developing a tangle.

Orcs so silly.

Still the prettiest.

Day 35: Boromir dead. Very messy death, most unnecessary. Did get kissed by Aragorn as he expired. Does a guy have to get shot full of arrows around here to get any action? Boromir definitely not prettier than me. Cannot understand it. Am feeling a pout coming on.

Frodo off to Mordor with Sam. Tiny little men caring about each other, rather cute really.

Am quite sure Gimli fancies me. So unfair. He is waist height, so can see advantages there, but chunky braids and big helmet most off-putting. Foresee dark times ahead, very dark times.

wow, a wheeled case; that's true dedication :lol:

when did they stop allowing partners to attend the interview? I saw a number of people turned away while I was in line (and I know a lot of people here had to leave someone waiting outside, to pace nervously around the square like a new father outside the delivery room ;) )

I'm not sure. I think it was a year or so ago.

Really sad that they've stopped allowing it, IMO. It's one of our best memories.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

So what happens if you don't have enough evidence at the interview, do they just have an interview stage RFE sort of thing and reschedule it, or is it worse than that? I guess that's still pretty bad if you have to travel...meh I really need to hit my mom up for tax stuff. I don't know how difficult that is for her to get, just didn't wanna bug her again. I'm lame and barely understand what a W-2 is.

I read on the London Embassy site the other day that you're not allowed to bring people with you. But it also said that they don't let people wait around outside their building so not to show up more than 30 minutes ahead of time, and that you'll have to wait outside and not inside.

I think it sounds like people do have to wait outside, but the 30 minutes thing...just makes it sound like they're gonna arrest you if you're there or something :P I don't think they enforce a lot of these rules. I guess it really is just luck.

Summer 2001 - met my Scottish boy

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

January 18th, 2008 - I-129F sent to VSC

January 31st, 2008 - received NOA1, issued Jan. 24 :)

February 24th, 2008 - NOA2; omgwtfbbqlolz

February 29th, 2008 - NVC letter sent

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
So what happens if you don't have enough evidence at the interview, do they just have an interview stage RFE sort of thing and reschedule it, or is it worse than that? I guess that's still pretty bad if you have to travel...meh I really need to hit my mom up for tax stuff. I don't know how difficult that is for her to get, just didn't wanna bug her again. I'm lame and barely understand what a W-2 is.

I read on the London Embassy site the other day that you're not allowed to bring people with you. But it also said that they don't let people wait around outside their building so not to show up more than 30 minutes ahead of time, and that you'll have to wait outside and not inside.

I think it sounds like people do have to wait outside, but the 30 minutes thing...just makes it sound like they're gonna arrest you if you're there or something :P I don't think they enforce a lot of these rules. I guess it really is just luck.

If they need more paper from you, they just give you a blue sheet of paper detailing what you need to provide, with the number of the courier on it. You would be asked to submit the additional paperwork with your passport, as soon as you have the missing info. All being well, they issue the visa and send your passport back with the visa in it and the MBE.

You don't have to do another interview :no::thumbs:

The UK Wiki

Timeline

AWESOME :)

Omg I'm so exciting. It's getting warmer and warmer and we're all gonna be done and whoo hoo!

Immigration isn't really that bad. Maybe the pain makes it better. I'm actually upset Iain doesn't have to take a history test just to get in as a resident, I wanted him to have to hit the books and be moaning about that :lol:

December 18th, 2007 - proposal in Madrid's Botanical Gardens with a duck standing behind him going 'food?'

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi guys, I posted this in one of the other forums (sorry if that is a terrible faux pas) but thought it might be more of a London embassy thing, so have reposted it here. All help much appreciated!

On the instruction from the Embassy it states that the affadavit of support should be signed jointly by both husband and wife (for the co-sponsor obviously - my fiancee is not already married!). I can't see this mentioned anywhere else though, and the form does not look designed for two people? What are other people's experiences and views?

And following on from the previous discussion in this thread, this is what we are hoping to provide, please shout if it does not look enough...

1 years federal tax returns

Letter from employer

Letter from bank

Do I need pay stubs as well, or will the above be sufficient?

Many thanks, getting closer to the finish line now!

David

Timeline

Hi David,

You sound good to me on your affidavit evidence :yes: I don't think you need paystubs but if you have any throw them in there, why not. But the London Embassy's site says it wants at least two of four pieces of evidence (tax returns, bank letter, employment letter, or "other") so you're totally good to go. Sounds like the tax return basically is the biggie guarantee people usually use.

As for the signature question...so your co-sponsor is married, you're saying? I don't think this means that the co-sponsor's spouse also has to sign at all. Your co-sponsor presumably makes a big enough salary to meet all of the requirements, so his/her ties to his/her spouse shouldn't matter as far as I know, even if they have joint bank accounts or something.

If you can't get a definite answer, you can always do this: Have just the one co-sponsor sign, and then attach a sheet to the form saying that the co-sponsor's spouse is fully supportive of the sponsorship as well, and then have them sign and date it. I wouldn't have them both sign the form though, definately, that doesn't seem like the proper procedure to me and might get rejected.

My father completed an I134 for me (which we never needed but carried anyway) that was unsigned by my mother.

If you have the evidence of that persons income (tax return, paystubs, employment letter - whatever) there's no need to have the other spouse sign. That would kind of be like them attesting to that persons income.

Timeline

Thanks for your replies. It is a little mystifying though, as the instructions from the embassy clearly states that it should be signed from the spouse, if the co-sponsor is married. You have to love how easy they make these things!

Timeline

Ask your mom if her tax preparer has a pdf of her returns. That way she can just email them to you. I emailed mine to my fiance.

wtf-picard.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.