totes

Lagos interview today

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

We are totally devastated.... my fiance went to his interview at 7am this morning (Nigeria time), called me at 12pm his time, we have been put on Administrative Processing. He answered every question correctly, had all the evidence, over a years worth of im covo's and telephone records, proof of our meeting, emails between he and I as well as between he and my daughter, cards I had sent snail mail, everything. She said there wasn't enough evidence, I just can't believe it! I sent like 10 pounds of paper over there for him to take with him. It was organized, everything was there and in tact. I don't understand what they will find during their Administrative Processing that was not already there and available to them.

The one thing he said she questioned is that when we met in person, I didn't go to Nigeria but to Ghana because of all the travel warnings and safety risks associated with Nigeria. She said "she came all the way to Africa and didn't even meet your parents?" Can that be why we were put on Administrative Processing? We can't go back and change that.

We don't know what to do now..... Will he have another interview? Will we need to supply even more documentation of our relationship from now forward? How long will this take?

My head is spinning. I felt so good about all the documentation, I just didn't expect this. Any advice would be so appreciated. I haven't slept a wink all night and I'm sure being exhausted isn't helping matter's but at the moment I just feel so hopeless.

hugs

tess

09/03/08 - Visa Approved!!!!!!!

09/10/08 - Picked up visa

09/20/08 - Arrived in the US - WHOOOOHOOOOO!

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
We are totally devastated.... my fiance went to his interview at 7am this morning (Nigeria time), called me at 12pm his time, we have been put on Administrative Processing. He answered every question correctly, had all the evidence, over a years worth of im covo's and telephone records, proof of our meeting, emails between he and I as well as between he and my daughter, cards I had sent snail mail, everything. She said there wasn't enough evidence, I just can't believe it! I sent like 10 pounds of paper over there for him to take with him. It was organized, everything was there and in tact. I don't understand what they will find during their Administrative Processing that was not already there and available to them.

The one thing he said she questioned is that when we met in person, I didn't go to Nigeria but to Ghana because of all the travel warnings and safety risks associated with Nigeria. She said "she came all the way to Africa and didn't even meet your parents?" Can that be why we were put on Administrative Processing? We can't go back and change that.

We don't know what to do now..... Will he have another interview? Will we need to supply even more documentation of our relationship from now forward? How long will this take?

My head is spinning. I felt so good about all the documentation, I just didn't expect this. Any advice would be so appreciated. I haven't slept a wink all night and I'm sure being exhausted isn't helping matter's but at the moment I just feel so hopeless.

hugs

tess

Im so sorry to hear this, hope its not kept on AP too long.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Tess, I am so sorry to hear about that (F)

We are also on AP. They want to see letters that we wrote to each other, but we have a date to go back.

Was your fiance given a piece of paper or anything at the interview? What is written on it? Or did they just tell him he is on AP?

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

We are also on AP. They want to see letters that we wrote to each other, but we have a date to go back.

Was your fiance given a piece of paper or anything at the interview? What is written on it? Or did they just tell him he is on AP?

Thank you.

Yes he just scanned and sent it to me. It says:

This office regrets to inform you that is is unable to issue a visa to you because you have been found ineligible under section 221(g) of the which indicates that you have not provided sufficient documentation.

Please return at 1 PM on the day that you are re-invited after the administrative processing is complete. When you return, please bring the following:

Your case requires further administrative processing, which may average up to six months

You may email lagoscons2@state.gove to request and update on the status of your case.

When this process is complete, you will be contacted by phone or email and then reinvited for an interview.

They didn't even say what to bring! I just don't understand what we need to do :crying:

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Liberia
Timeline

hugs

tess

Sorry to hear about them putting you guys on AP. It sounds like you sent more than enough evidence, but some of the CO's can be picky over the slightest thing. Most times they won't tell you why you are on AP, but I have noticed that sometimes the questions that were focused on the most during the interview can be a hint as to what they are looking for. Your AP *could* be concerning the fact that you didn't go to Nigeria. Who knows for sure. I think your best bet would be to call DOS (Department of State) . The DOS phone number is 202.663.1225 ( press 1, 0, 4, 3, 0 to speak to a human).

Whenever the embassy updates your case in the computer system, i.e. your interview, then it goes to DOS. DOS will be able have access to all of the notes and comments that the CO put on your case file in the computer system. Sometimes the DOS rep will slip up and give you information and sometimes they are tight-lipped about it. I would try to call them and see if there is anyway you can sqeeze some info out of them.

AP can be from 1 week to more than a year. It all depends on what they are looking for. Sometimes they will tell him the beneficiary a new date to come and drop off evidence or sometimes they will schedule a 2nd interview. That's the bad thing about AP...you are basically in a black hole and just have to wait and see what comes next. I know it's devastating to wait more time, but it's not the end of your case. (F)

Timeline

Thank you.

Yes he just scanned and sent it to me. It says:

This office regrets to inform you that is is unable to issue a visa to you because you have been found ineligible under section 221(g) of the which indicates that you have not provided sufficient documentation.

Please return at 1 PM on the day that you are re-invited after the administrative processing is complete. When you return, please bring the following:

Your case requires further administrative processing, which may average up to six months

You may email lagoscons2@state.gove to request and update on the status of your case.

When this process is complete, you will be contacted by phone or email and then reinvited for an interview.

They didn't even say what to bring! I just don't understand what we need to do :crying:

It seems like they are probably doing some verifying or some sort of security check and they will just notify you when they are finished.

Timeline

Thats what it looks like to me too LovinLiberia. I would think that if they wanted more documentation that they would have indicated it on the 221g.

Tess, I would call DOS and see what they say.

Click for full timeline

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Why did they want to see letters you wrote each other? did you have any other proof of ongoing relationship?? Or did they just want to see more? I'm curious cuz my fiance goes Wednesday, he has an email or two from each month of the last year we've been apart. But mostly I used calling cards to call him so it's not accepted as proof. I did use my house fon the last two months, so he has that. But its a scanned copy and a little hard to read. He does have some western union slips from this past year that I've occassionally sent him. Do you think that will help? We're so worried cuz we keep reading about ppl being put on AP.

Timeline

Why did they want to see letters you wrote each other? did you have any other proof of ongoing relationship?? Or did they just want to see more? I'm curious cuz my fiance goes Wednesday, he has an email or two from each month of the last year we've been apart. But mostly I used calling cards to call him so it's not accepted as proof. I did use my house fon the last two months, so he has that. But its a scanned copy and a little hard to read. He does have some western union slips from this past year that I've occassionally sent him. Do you think that will help? We're so worried cuz we keep reading about ppl being put on AP.

We did not include the letters because they are only like 10 and we had more eviddence that we though was enough. Well, the CO decided that they wanted to see the letters, but in our case the AP is just so that we can turn them in and then get the visa. We are not in security checks.

Send everything you can to your fiance to prove the relationship. I would not include the Western Union receipts because I have read that the CO frowns on that, especially if the USC is a female. I don't think it would help your case.

People get put on AP for different reasons. The most common one is the name checks or background checks that are not completed before the interview. In other cases, the CO is not satisfied with the evidence and asks for more. It just depends on what the CO thinks is lacking.

Edited by ZeeNusah

Click for full timeline

Timeline
Thats what it looks like to me too LovinLiberia. I would think that if they wanted more documentation that they would have indicated it on the 221g.

Thank you both for your suggestion. I called the DOS and the lady wouldn't tell me anything other than to do what the letter says. When I told her that the letter doesn't tell us anything to bring back, she just said "well I couldn't guess what it might be you might want to send an email to Lagos." What a totally frustrating process.

What concerns me is that we don't have anything else to provide. I don't know if I need to plan a trip to Nigeria in the next few weeks or what?? But then I also wonder.... would it even help? Will we even have the opportunity to show that I've come again??

12/06/08 - Wedding

01/12/09 - AOS sent

Timeline

Thank you both for your suggestion. I called the DOS and the lady wouldn't tell me anything other than to do what the letter says. When I told her that the letter doesn't tell us anything to bring back, she just said "well I couldn't guess what it might be you might want to send an email to Lagos." What a totally frustrating process.

What concerns me is that we don't have anything else to provide. I don't know if I need to plan a trip to Nigeria in the next few weeks or what?? But then I also wonder.... would it even help? Will we even have the opportunity to show that I've come again??

I think your case is in AP. I don't think you need to return anything else to the embassy. If they do need anything else from you then they will let you know. No one can tell you how long it will take. If they wanted more documentation I think that they would have checked the box asking for more documentation (that is what they did with us).

Click for full timeline

Timeline

I would think hard about using the Western Union receipts. The CO can definately frown on those. It can be interpreted as him scamming you for money. Also, my husband and I had sent money back and forth for different reasons and we included some of the receipts. At his interview, the CO asked him why he sent me money. She asked if he had been paying me to do this process for him. The CO's are very good at taking simple issues and twisting them into a negative perspective. I would be very careful with using the Western Union receipts.

It is very frustrating. You should try to call once a week or maybe once every two weeks. Different reps wil give you different amounts of information. If they wanted you to provide more evidence they would have listed it on the paperwork. Being on AP is a waiting game and there is really nothing you can do except send emails to the consulate for updates, call DOS to fish for information, and wait. I would hold off on that trip to Nigeria. It won't help towards the AP and you might not get any information if you go to the embassy while still in AP.

Timeline

Just remember that AP is not the end. You will eventually hear from them and have an answer. You should go read up on AP in the MENA forum. A lot of the people in that forum are placed on AP since it is a common thing in the Middle East. You should be able to see how everyone's AP times vary and maybe even get tips on what to do.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

"What concerns me is that we don't have anything else to provide. I don't know if I need to plan a trip to Nigeria in the next few weeks or what?? But then I also wonder.... would it even help? Will we even have the opportunity to show that I've come again."

Hi Tess,

Sorry for the delay and that is what it really is. It is a delay provided both of you do your homework. This is an opportunity for you and Tony to satisfy the embassy requirements whatever that may be. Here is my 2 cent. If you can afford a trip to Nigeria to visit Tony, it will do a great deal. This will validate your on-going relationship for one and give your photo opportunity with your future in-laws. MAKE sure you meet with his immediate families. Document your visitation. I would encourage you to continue what both of you have been doing such as the documentation of your on-going relationship. Once you guys come out of AP, and he is invited for a second interview they will be expecting to see some information to aide their decision. This is what is going to win the CO over to your side thus getting the visa granted. Take care and be blessed now.

Edited by Arinola

AOS Timeline......

03/10/2008 - Mailed AOS Appl.

03/13/2008 - NOA Notice Date.

03/15/2008 - NOA's for : I-485, I-131 & I-765

03/16/2008 - Case online.

03/22/2008 - Biometrics assigned date: 04/01/2008, Bio completed early .

03/24/2008 - AOS Touched.

03/27/2008 - RFE Letter : Dated.

03/31/2008 - RFE snail mail rec'd date ( EZ-864 / Missing birth certificate).

04/01/2008 - Mailed RFE response.

04/03/2008 - RFE document delivered to Lees Summit, MO @ 4:03 P.M:

04/07/2008 - AOS Touched, Current status: Response to rfe received, and case processing has resumed.

04/08/2008 - AOS Touched.

05/27/2008 - AOS Touched, received USCIS email indicated case transfered to CSC.

05/29/2008 - AOS Touched.

05/31/2008 - USCIS snail mail stating I-485 has been transferred to CSC to speedup processing.

06/03/2008 - Received email from CSC confirming reception of transferred I-485.

06/03,04,06 - Touched!

08/28/2008 - Green card rec'd in mail.

06/11/2008 - I-131 Approval email received.

06/13/2008 - Received I-765 card ordered email notification.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry about the AP. Your second in a matter of months. Try to stay as positive as you can and continue to document your connections with your fiance now. I'm not sure about visiting now, but they may schedule a second interview and if I were you, I would go to that interview.

GHANA.GIFBassi and Zainab US1.GIF

I-129F Sent: 6-18-2007

Interview date: 6-24-2008

Pick up Visa: 6-27-2008

Arrive JFK POE: 7-2-2008

Marriage: 7-9-2008

AOS

mailed AOS, EAD, AP: 8-22-2008

NOA AOS, EAD, AP: 8-27-2008

Biometrics: 9-18-2008

AOS Transferred to CSC: 9-25-2008

Requested EAD Expedite: 11-12-2008

EAD Card production ordered: 11-12-2008 changed to 11/17/2008 Why? (I hope it doesn't change every week!)

Received AP: 11/17/2008

Received EAD: 11/22/08 (Praise God!!)

AOS RFE: 1/29/2009

AOS Approved: 3/24/2009

Called USCIS 4/1/2009 told no status change and case not yet reviewed from RFE request.

Received green card: 4/3/2009

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.