sarko

125 % Poverty line (how much) ??? please help

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Why would mother in law fill out an Affidavit of Support? Shouldn't your spouse petitioner be filling out I-864? Actually it is required that US Citizen spouse MUST sponsor and provide the I-864 for you.

Poverty guidelines are found here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf

:time:http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=47424

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Timeline
my wife can't because we are both student. can you please tell me if she is eligible ?? thank you
USCIS is concerned with current income, so if mother is now un-employed, they will want to see how she can continue providing support for at least the next 3 years, assuming that you will naturalize. Mother can use assets but if income is zero, then the assets required will be $52,500 in liquid assets such as cash, (17,500 x 3).

Wife still has to provide I-864, and mother will be Joint Sponsor providing an I-864 too.

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Timeline
what what??/ let's say we got somebody else, the person has to make 52 500 $????? wow, We are thinking having her cousin doing it but she doesn't make all that money ! OMG !!!!

NO, :no: this is not what I am saying.

If the person is NOT working they have to have $52,500 in assets to be able to provide support.

If the person IS working their income needs to be $17,500 or more to provide support. (If less than 17,500 then has to have assets equal to 3 times the shortfall in income. So if income is 16,500, then $3000 in assets are needed)

This is assuming the sponsoring only 1 immigrant, and the sponsor has NO other dependents. If they have dependents or supporting more than 1 immigrant, then income needs to be even more.

Edited by YuAndDan

Your spouse is required to do an I-864 no matter what, as they are always considered the primary petitioner - income or not, job or not, this must be done! Actually, I think there was a little error in Yu and Dan's post... Unless the sponsor IS your spouse, they must have FIVE TIMES the 125% of the poverty level in assets if they do not meet the job income requirements. (And if she claims your spouse as a dependant, and anyone else in her household as dependants, then the minimum level will also increase.)

The joint sponsor is not required to make $52,500 in income, they must make the 125% of the poverty level with an on-going job for themselves, their own family and you. For example, if the cousin is single, then they would have to make the amount for themself and you - 2 people. Another example, they are married and have one child. Then they would have to make 125% of the poverty level for themself, their spouse, their child and you = 4 people.

The I-864 is a little bit complicated, but it can be sorted out. Just remember that your spouse MUST file an Affidavit of Support for you as the primary sponsor, now you just need to sort out who would be best as your co-sponsor.

Good luck in your process! :)

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

My mother in law, is married and has my wife as a dependent since she's 20. She makes 19 000$ . And she presently works. Can you please tell me how much she should make if she wants to do the form ???

I'm just asking if she's eligible to be my sponsor???

My mother in law, is married and has my wife as a dependent since she's 20. She makes 19 000$ . And she presently works. Can you please tell me how much she should make if she wants to do the form ???

I'm just asking if she's eligible to be my sponsor???

Check the links provided by Yu and Dan - they will have the complete income requirements for what seems to be a family of 4. (I don't think $19,000 is enough) What they look for is not last year's income, but if the person is CURRENTLY working and maintaining that salary, and you commented above that she is not working. (Although last year's tax records are a requirement as well!) A letter from her employer is required with RECENT paystubs... :(

It might be best to start lining up another sponsor, but you really need to do more research first - check out the links and download the I-864 forms - there is a lot of information in the forms. Then you will know exactly what you are asking of a sponsor, and can sort through each person's situation.

Good Luck!

Met at work Sept. 2005

Started dating Nov. 2005

Got engaged Oct. 2007

Married January 5, 2008

Submitted I-130 in Delhi February 6, 2008 NOA1

Sent DS 230, DS 2001 to Chennai via courier Feb. 21, 2008

Received Case number from Chennai Consulate Feb. 22, 2008 (Postmarked Feb. 13)

Received Email Confirmation of Interview Date on March 5th: April 3rd!

SUCCESS - VISA APPROVED ON APRIL 3RD!! :) :)

POE Detroit - May 19, 2008

Applied for SSN: June 5th - Received Card: June 12th

Received Green Gard: June 12th

Driver's License: July 28th

Move to St. Louis/Ritesh starts his job: August 5th

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
Check the links provided by Yu and Dan - they will have the complete income requirements for what seems to be a family of 4. (I don't think $19,000 is enough) What they look for is not last year's income, but if the person is CURRENTLY working and maintaining that salary, and you commented above that she is not working. (Although last year's tax records are a requirement as well!) A letter from her employer is required with RECENT paystubs... :(

It might be best to start lining up another sponsor, but you really need to do more research first - check out the links and download the I-864 forms - there is a lot of information in the forms. Then you will know exactly what you are asking of a sponsor, and can sort through each person's situation.

Good Luck!

But wouldn't the wife no longer be a dependent because she is married? My mom claimed me on the year's taxes we used for my husband's affidavit, but IIRC she only had to make enough to support 4 people, not 5 (it would have been 5 including me). As soon as you marry, you're independent and no longer an independent. I could be wrong, but that's my impression. However, 19K is not enough money in either situation.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

She's still working, so how much for a family of 4 then?

Good Luck!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
She's still working, so how much for a family of 4 then?

Good Luck!

Check the link Yu and Dan provided.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

• 5 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf

This link works. The one above is and old link.

/Our Time Line

I129F Sent 12-21-2012 VIA USPS
I129F Delivered 12-24-2012 According to USPS Website
I129F Received 01-05-2013 NOA1 Dated 12-28-2012

I129F Email Petition Approved 5/9/2013
MNL Number Received 05/25/2013 Date of Letter 5/21/2013

Interview 08/28/2013 Visa Approved

OUR JOURNEY WILL NOT END WHEN YOU HAVE YOUR VISA BUT ONLY CONTINUE ON THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN. MAY YOUR JOURNEY GO WELL!

<iframe src="http://free.timeanddate.com/countdown/i3meybrd/n105/cf12/cm0/cu4/ct0/cs0/ca0/cr0/ss0/cac000/cpc000/pcfff/tcfff/fs100/szw320/szh135/tatTime%20left%20to%20Event%20in/tac000/tptTime%20since%20Event%20started%20in/tpc000/mac000/mpc000/iso2012-12-28T00:00:00" frameborder="0" width="236" height="66"></iframe>

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.