brian87

APRIL '08 Vermont K-1 Filers

2,328 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
You're treading on a slippery slope when you talk 'religious ceremony/marriage'. Perception and opinion varies greatly and you can easily find yourself in trouble. Especially dealing with a Consulate like Pakistan I would imagine.

If your K1 visa is granted... that's to say you have the visa in the passport and ready to go... a ceremony of some kind in another Country is possible BUT it must not be recognized as a binding and legal marriage and I would not breath a word of it to the CO or POE officer...or anybody for that matter. Do not wear rings or refer to each other as husband and wife until you are comfortably inside US borders.

You must be married in the U.S.

Lots of people have non-binding/legal ceremonies BUT lots of people also have issues after doing so. I'd hate to see that happen to you.

yea i kinda thought the same thing but i wonder if i fly back with her is that also going to cause problems and r there any cases where entry to US is denied on similar bases.

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: New Zealand
Timeline

A POE officer can deny you entry even with a valid visa. I remember the story long ago of one couple who had rings on and referred to each other as husband and wife as they were coming through... yup, bad news. ;)

Of course you can come through and travel with her. :) Going through a post like Pakistan it's probably even advisable to be at, or around, for her interview as well.

If the 'ceremony' is not legally binding and she wants to do it for religious purposes only then just wait until after her visa is granted, sign nothing and say nothing about it. :)

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
A POE officer can deny you entry even with a valid visa. I remember the story long ago of one couple who had rings on and referred to each other as husband and wife as they were coming through... yup, bad news. ;)

Of course you can come through and travel with her. :) Going through a post like Pakistan it's probably even advisable to be at, or around, for her interview as well.

If the 'ceremony' is not legally binding and she wants to do it for religious purposes only then just wait until after her visa is granted, sign nothing and say nothing about it. :)

you guys always so helpfull :)

thank you :content:

Edited by MnM

7238.gif

6995.gif

8468.gif

10206.gif

And don't have printed wedding pictures in your luggage in case it should be inspected at US entry. Mail them or any souvenirs of the wedding that might show you in a ceremony or have your names on it like invitations or whatever.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Timeline

So, April, what's going on with all of you????

it's monday morning in NZ and i'm hoping that very soon they will be opening up Russell's packet 3 and arranging an interview date... even without the approved petition from the NVC. :lol: Wishful thinking? :whistle:

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

it's monday morning in NZ and i'm hoping that very soon they will be opening up Russell's packet 3 and arranging an interview date... even without the approved petition from the NVC. :lol: Wishful thinking? :whistle:

Hi kim

I believe ours made it to the embassy now,and we will email them tomorrow to find out.

Its nice and sunny here in vermont,have a good day!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Hi kim

I believe ours made it to the embassy now,and we will email them tomorrow to find out.

Its nice and sunny here in vermont,have a good day!

Sorry to interupt but you can call the DOS to find out if the embassy have an interview scheduled. I found them most helpful.

Sal and Jay

K1 - Complete
AOS - Complete
EAD - Complete
AP - Complete
ROC - Complete

N400-Complete

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

Hi Jer, good to know you're still moving in the right direction. :) It's gorgeous here in MA today too but unfortunately, i've too much work to do and can't enjoy these last days with my pool. :crying:

Hi Sal, you're never interupting hon. :) You're right, DOS can give you any information the Embassy can really. ;) Well...except get your packet 3 sent out early. hehehe :whistle:

timeline.jpg

You better hope they do that or they'll start reading the juicy, sexy bits in the file like the other agencies did, and remember that video, and you're stuck with another wait while they all read it. :wacko::rofl:

Hi kids! I'm excited today because my dear fiance made a plane reservation for Sept. 30 to Houston, Texas. :dance: Happy me! :dance: Now I have something concrete instead of a vague 'sometime in October.'

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hi Jer, good to know you're still moving in the right direction. :) It's gorgeous here in MA today too but unfortunately, i've too much work to do and can't enjoy these last days with my pool. :crying:

Hi Sal, you're never interupting hon. :) You're right, DOS can give you any information the Embassy can really. ;) Well...except get your packet 3 sent out early. hehehe :whistle:

So Kim you sent in everything before Russ got Packet 3?

If so, that gives me even more confidence that Nich's idea is a great one...even though I knew it was good from the start!! We'll be sending in the papers ASAP. Gareth had to take care of some business that he's been behind on because of his month long visit here, but things are leveling off now and he can start getting things ready and filled out and all the things he needs to do. :)

My timeline is going to be a little screwy with the whole address situation...but I'll update it the best I can.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Stephanie

Edited by smchadwick

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

04-25-2008 I129-F Received at VSC

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

07-31-2008 NOA2 Approved!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NOA2 Hard Copy

08-07-2008 NVC Received

08-08-2008 Sent to London Embassy

08-11-2008 Embassy Received

08-20-2008 Packet 3 Received (not exactly sure because of address problems)

american-british-flag-realtor.jpg

Timeline

You better hope they do that or they'll start reading the juicy, sexy bits in the file like the other agencies did, and remember that video, and you're stuck with another wait while they all read it. :wacko::rofl:

Hi kids! I'm excited today because my dear fiance made a plane reservation for Sept. 30 to Houston, Texas. :dance: Happy me! :dance: Now I have something concrete instead of a vague 'sometime in October.'

:rofl: I'll send them all the home movies they want if they'd just give my man his visa!!! :lol: Now stop it!... it's been so long you're making me crazy! :wacko:

I'm so happy you finally have a date!!!! Congratulations! Hope that doesnt mean you'll be posting less... i'd hate to lose touch with you. :)

So Kim you sent in everything before Russ got Packet 3?

If so, that gives me even more confidence that Nich's idea is a great one...even though I knew it was good from the start!! We'll be sending in the papers ASAP. Gareth had to take care of some business that he's been behind on because of his month long visit here, but things are leveling off now and he can start getting things ready and filled out and all the things he needs to do. :)

My timeline is going to be a little screwy with the whole address situation...but I'll update it the best I can.

Hope everyone had a good weekend!

Stephanie

Stephanie, NVC hasn't even sent our approved petition to the Consulate yet. ;) Russell emailed them with our new case number and alien number (which he got last september when he was booted) and asked that package 3 be sent out. Because he had the information they needed, they agreed. They actually overnighted the packet to him. He also scheduled his medical a week ago and had that (our/US)last Thursday. I sent everything he needed from me (I134..etc) to him last week. It arrived in NZ this morning (NZ time). So, the only thing missing is the approved petition. We're hoping they wont wait for that to schedule the interview but if they do, it should be there this week. Hoping to expedite his interview for next week. Others going through NZ in the past have had much luck in doing that so we're hopeful. :)

Ok my butt is just killing me and my eyeballs are burning as i've spent the entire day working on a website and writing code. No fun!!!

I hope tomorrow brings wonderful news for all!!!

timeline.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi

Can someone explain what it means to "contact DOS" and how I do that?

Thanks!

04/14/2008 Overnighted to VSC

04/15/2008 Received in Vermont

04/21/2008 NOA1 Issued

04/24/2008 Check cleared

05/20/2008 Touched

05/21/2008 Touched again

07/21/2008 NOA2 Approved!

08/12/2008 Forwarded from NVC to Casablanca

08/18/2008 Arrived in Casablanca

08/26/2008 Packet 3 Sent from Consulate

09/01/2008 Packet 3 Arrived

10/15/2008 Interview Scheduled!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
Hi

Thanks!

Yep. The DOS (Department of State) in Washington can be contacted on 202-663-1225. Basically, they can tell you pretty much everything that your embassy can about your case once it's left NVC.

Naturalization Timeline:

Event

Service Center : Phoenix AZ Lockbox

CIS Office : Saint Louis MO

Date Filed : 2014-06-11

NOA Date : 2014-06-16

Bio. Appt. :

Interview Date :

Approved :

Oath Ceremony :

Comments :

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
Hi

Thanks!

Yep. The DOS (Department of State) in Washington can be contacted on 202-663-1225. Basically, they can tell you pretty much everything that your embassy can about your case once it's left NVC.

I guess the girl that I talked to is new and doesn't know what's going on. I called DOS today and tried to do the address change thing and she said "We don't do that here ma'am, you'll have to call the Embassy directly."

Is she right or just dumb? LoL! Not sure if anyone has tried to call DOS about address changes, but like you said Kim they can tell you pretty much everything. But this girl said that if it hasn't left the US then call the NVC, but if it has then I have to call London.

Should I call again and hopefully get someone who knows or do I need to call London? $$$$$$ LoL! If I have to do that I'll get a calling card or see if Gareth has time to do it. He gets nervous and frets about dealing with calling important people he said, lol he says I'm a lot better at handeling this stuff. Not that he doesn't want to help, he's just afraid he'll say the wrong thing or something. He's a worrier, as am I.

Hope I can get this thing sorted out this week! And school started today so I gotta deal with this between classes. :wacko:

Thanks guys!

Stephanie

Our K1-Visa Timeline

04-21-2008 I29-F Sent

04-25-2008 I129-F Received at VSC

05-01-2008 NOA1 issued

05-05-2008 Check cashed

05-06-2008 Touched

05-07-2008 NOA1 Received

06-04-2008 Touched!!

07-31-2008 NOA2 Approved!

08-01-2008 Touched.

08-07-2008 NOA2 Hard Copy

08-07-2008 NVC Received

08-08-2008 Sent to London Embassy

08-11-2008 Embassy Received

08-20-2008 Packet 3 Received (not exactly sure because of address problems)

american-british-flag-realtor.jpg

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hey guys, a lil quiet today aren't we?

How's everybody doing? I just got my NOA2 hardcopy today, so that's pretty cool. I also requested a letter from my employer and one from my bank. So the only thing left for me to do is the affidavit of support.

On the other hand, Luis is running around like crazy, getting all his police documents ready, his passport, birth certificate drama, etc.

How is everyone else doing? :)

205656_848198845714_16320940_41282447_7410167_n-1.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.