Gulskjegg

Does Filing N-400 Stop I-751 Processing?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We are very close to my wife being able to file for naturalization. If we do so, will they throw her 10 year green card out the window? Anyone know if there is any adverse effect otherwise? Maybe a confirmation letter extending her out another year? If anyone know, please post. If not, Ill take a shot at the naturalization forum.

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

From my understanding, filing for citizenship will force them to make a decision on your I-751 as that needs to be finalized before citizenship can be granted, Their focus seems to be on citizenship applications right now, probably trying to get as many eligible future voters approved before the election. Just my opinion but I suspect all other applications will go slowly until the election as they focus their resources in this area and then speed up when the pressure to approve citizenship applications is over. If you are planning on filing for citizenship then certainly go ahead and do so when she becomes eligible. It should speed things up for you. Good luck.

“...Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world. It wouldn't be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There'd be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

. Lucy Maude Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

5892822976_477b1a77f7_z.jpg

Another Member of the VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse!

Timeline

Kathryn, thanks so much for the reply. It does sounds pretty logical. I was just worried that, in typical USCIS fashion, they would get my N-400 and promptly heave my I-751 into the trash bin. I wish there was some sort of way to actually verify that putting the N-400 in does actually boost your I-751 processing. Be it in a USCIS memo or on a USCIS webpage somewhere.

Great point about stacking up the voters for the 2008 elections, I had not even considered that but its totally in line with what we have come to expect. Thanks again for the input!

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Kathryn, thanks so much for the reply. It does sounds pretty logical. I was just worried that, in typical USCIS fashion, they would get my N-400 and promptly heave my I-751 into the trash bin. I wish there was some sort of way to actually verify that putting the N-400 in does actually boost your I-751 processing. Be it in a USCIS memo or on a USCIS webpage somewhere.

Great point about stacking up the voters for the 2008 elections, I had not even considered that but its totally in line with what we have come to expect. Thanks again for the input!

Apparrently the process is that when they transfer your N-400 to the district office for processing, they then also transfer your I-751 file.

At your interview the officer then processes both at the same time.

I-751 Process

=============

03/11/08 - Check Cashed by TSC, invalid SRC# on back along with a VLCXX reference.

03/31/08 - Had infopass appointment, got I-551 stamp and Trackable receipt number

04/09/08 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter.

04/18/08 - Biometrics Appointment 10am.

04/18/08 - Transferred to Vermont from TSC

06/16/08 - Online Status reports transfer received by Vermont

11/03/08 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/13/09 - Online Status Shows Touched!

01/20/09 - Approved!

01/26/09 - New Card Received!

N-400 Process

=============

12/29/08 - Application mailed to TSC

12/30/08 - Arrived at TSC - Forwarded to Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

12/31/08 - Arrived at Nat. Ben. Ctr, TX

01/02/09 - Priority Date

01/05/09 - NOA1 Mailed

01/06/09 - Check Cashed

01/09/09 - NOA1 Received (Priority Date of 01/02/09, Some data missing from form)

01/10/09 - Case Touched!

01/27/09 - Duplicate NOA1 Received (Missing Data filled in, was mailed on 01/24/09)

02/28/09 - Interview Letter Received

04/06/09 - Naturalization interview

04/06/09 - Interview Passed!

04/22/09 - Oath Ceremony!

04/22/09 - US Citizen at Last!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Apparrently the process is that when they transfer your N-400 to the district office for processing, they then also transfer your I-751 file.

At your interview the officer then processes both at the same time.

This is what I've also read. My husband has applied for his citizenship, and does not have his 10 year card yet.

Timeline

By district office you mean local state office of the USCIS? For us this would be Helena, Montana? As opposed to Nebraska Service Center? I guess this would make sense. I can only hope the local folks would be more responsive, maybe.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

yes if that the office close to you then this is what the local office means, we are in South east michigan and our local office is Detroit Michigan.

goodluck.....

:blush:

"For with God nothing shall be impossible - Luke 1:37"

Details of older petition timelines are in "Our Story" section

May 28, 2009 - Filed N-400 application for Naturalization

June 08, 2009 - NOA 1 received in the mail dated June 01,2009

June 15, 2009 - Biometrics Appt Letter received for July 02, 2009

July 02, 2009 - Biometrics Done - awaiting interview letter

July 13, 2009 - Interview Letter Received for Sept 09, 2009

Sept 09, 2009 - Interview Passed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Sept 17, 2009 - Oath Ceremony - COBO Hall Detroit, MI - Done, registered to vote + updated Social Security record

Sept 18, 2009 - Applied for US Passport

Oct 06, 2009 - New Social Security card received in the mail

Oct 08, 2009 - US Passport received in the mail

Oct 09, 2009 - Naturalization Certificate received in the mail

Oct 20, 2009 - Received Voter's Registration Card

Oct 20, 2009 - Our Visa Journey Completed - Thank you Lord Jesus !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I wish there was some sort of way to actually verify that putting the N-400 in does actually boost your I-751 processing.

Filing the N-400 has no affect on the processing of a I-751. It is only if the I-751 has still not been adjudicated by the time that the N-400 has wound its way independently to the desk of the CIS interviewer that CIS will be forced to adjudicate the I-751.

Meh

Timeline

Oh well. I guess we are at the point where it cant hurt to file the N-400. Processing times for Nebraska I-751 are reported to be as long as 18 months, maybe even more. Since we are already at 12 month, and we could possibly be made to wait a further 6 months, we might as well put that time to good use. I do look forward to the day my wife gets her passport...this way we can go anywhere we want, for as long as we want.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

Timeline
Oh well. I guess we are at the point where it cant hurt to file the N-400. Processing times for Nebraska I-751 are reported to be as long as 18 months, maybe even more. Since we are already at 12 month, and we could possibly be made to wait a further 6 months, we might as well put that time to good use. I do look forward to the day my wife gets her passport...this way we can go anywhere we want, for as long as we want.

The time line goes by your local office though, not Nebraska. So it might not be 18 months. I know Cleveland (my local office) is around 7-8 months.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

The time line goes by your local office though, not Nebraska. So it might not be 18 months. I know Cleveland (my local office) is around 7-8 months.

I still don't understand some of you guys here pushing ahead with this N-400.Nobody says that you should not apply for citizenship but don't you want to see yourself done with one application before you jump with another one ?

I don't know whose idea was that filling an N-400 will expedite your status here in US . Just a waist of money at least for now when USCIS is totally screwed-up !!!! :unsure:

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I still don't understand some of you guys here pushing ahead with this N-400.Nobody says that you should not apply for citizenship but don't you want to see yourself done with one application before you jump with another one ?

I don't know whose idea was that filling an N-400 will expedite your status here in US . Just a waist of money at least for now when USCIS is totally screwed-up !!!! :unsure:

You are correct that you don't have to apply for N-400 now. But, if somebody already made up their mind to be US Citizen and they are now eligible to apply, why do they have to wait? I don't see anything wrong w/ applying now even though their I-751 hasn't been approved yet. Whether you apply for N-400 now or later, you will have to pay anyway (might have to pay more if they decided to jack up the fee again :bonk: ). Just my $0.02.

K-1 Timeline

06.04.2004 - I-129F sent to NSC

06.14.2004 - NOA1

09.03.2004 - NOA2

11.03.2004 - Interview (APPROVED - Visa in Hand)

12.04.2004 - Fiancee arrived - POE: San Francisco

AOS, EAD, AP Timelines

01.10.2005 - Submitted AOS, EAD, AP in person (Kansas City)

01.20.2005 - AP received (Approved 01.14.2005)

03.03.2005 - EAD received

06.27.2005 - AOS Interview

07.05.2005 - CONDITIONAL Permanent Residence Status GRANTED (APPROVED)

07.28.2005 - Permanent Resident Card received

I-751 Timeline

04.17.2007 - I-751 sent to NSC

04.20.2007 - NOA1 (Mail received 05.04.2007)

05.18.2007 - Biometrics completed

04.01.2008 - Transferred to CSC

05.07.2008 - Approved

05.13.2008 - Permanent Resident Card received

N-400 Timeline

04.21.2010 - N-400 sent to USCIS Phoenix AZ Lockbox

05.05.2010 - NOA1 (Mail received 05.10.2010)

05.26.2010 - Biometrics Appointment

07.12.2010 - Interview (USCIS Status changed 06.04.2010 & Mail received 06.07.2010)

09.17.2010 - Oath Ceremony (Mail received 08.20.2010)

" HOPE" IS THE THING WITH FEATHERS--

THAT PERCHES IN THE SOUL--

GO BUCKEYES...!!!!

Timeline

I will answer from my own personal perspective. First, having a green card limits travel to a large degree. And for my wife and I, its all about freedom to travel. As I said before, my wife would like to attend a college right across the border in Alberta, Canada. She has access to military spouse educational benefits, but Canada will not give her a study permit without the legal right to stay or return to America during and after her schooling. That aside, we would like to take 6 months off in Ukraine, or check out the job market in Japan or even Germany. I am a disabled veteran, we have no children yet, and 14 years in the military gave me a nomadic urge. My wife, having spent her whole life in one town, is likewise inclined to see the world.

That being said, we have to take into account the actions and behavior of the USCIS. The USCIS could, and would, gleefully strip my wife of her green card and deport her over the slightest of mistakes. This in light of the USCIS being utterly unable to keep to even the simplest of timelines, answer queries honestly, demonstrate consistency, or treat citizens with anything remotely resembling respect or compassion.

Thus, the USCIS has defined itself as a tyrant of the worst sort. I am used to this, as I spent years wrestling the Department of Veterans Affairs over my pension. If having my wife apply for naturalization gives her a passport and the ability to travel abroad, once and for all, then were going for it. I have reviewed the N-400 form, and it looks pretty simple. Chances are, our I-751 will take 18 months to process. Why not put the extra 6 months to good use?

Given the choice between the two, and the timeframe being virtually identical, we choose the passport over the green card. Sure, the cost is an extra $700, but if after paying you never have to deal with USCIS again, its a bargain.

Timeline

My husband already made up his mind to apply to be a citizen a few years ago, so naturally he applied as soon as he could. It has nothing to do with the I-751 in our case, and I never implied that it did. It makes no difference if he already has his PR card or not. And that is his right, so I think you should stop bashing people's choices. No one expects it to speed up the I-751 process, nor do I think it will make it more difficult (from examples out of Cleveland on our own boards).

Edited by Tammi

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband already made up his mind to apply to be a citizen a few years ago, so naturally he applied as soon as he could. It has nothing to do with the I-751 in our case, and I never implied that it did. It makes no difference if he already has his PR card or not. And that is his right, so I think you should stop bashing people's choices. No one expects it to speed up the I-751 process, nor do I think it will make it more difficult (from examples out of Cleveland on our own boards).

"bashing people's choices"

Well...I'm not ,but when you see the mess caused by I-751 don't you want to wait a bit and get done with it then filling N-400 .You will be checking two forums but ...be it your way

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.