Gulskjegg

Does Filing N-400 Stop I-751 Processing?

21 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
Oh well. I guess we are at the point where it cant hurt to file the N-400. Processing times for Nebraska I-751 are reported to be as long as 18 months, maybe even more. Since we are already at 12 month, and we could possibly be made to wait a further 6 months, we might as well put that time to good use. I do look forward to the day my wife gets her passport...this way we can go anywhere we want, for as long as we want.

Thanks for all the input, folks.

The time line goes by your local office though, not Nebraska. So it might not be 18 months. I know Cleveland (my local office) is around 7-8 months.

I still don't understand some of you guys here pushing ahead with this N-400.Nobody says that you should not apply for citizenship but don't you want to see yourself done with one application before you jump with another one ?

I don't know whose idea was that filling an N-400 will expedite your status here in US . Just a waist of money at least for now when USCIS is totally screwed-up !!!! :unsure:

My husband already made up his mind to apply to be a citizen a few years ago, so naturally he applied as soon as he could. It has nothing to do with the I-751 in our case, and I never implied that it did. It makes no difference if he already has his PR card or not. And that is his right, so I think you should stop bashing people's choices. No one expects it to speed up the I-751 process, nor do I think it will make it more difficult (from examples out of Cleveland on our own boards).

"bashing people's choices"

Well...I'm not ,but when you see the mess caused by I-751 don't you want to wait a bit and get done with it then filling N-400 .You will be checking two forums but ...be it your way

I also check forums to help others out, just like you do. So I will still log in when we are done. And no, we'd rather not wait a bit, but get it done as soon as we can. It's really not that hard to understand. It's like how you can't understand why people don't get upset about the I-751. Well I can't understand why people question applying for the N-400 when they are allowed to (if they want to at all).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Not to bust any stones, but has anyone been over to the N-400 forum? I have, and I don't see any of the hand wringing, screaming, and people running around with their hair on fire like I do here in this forum. Myself included, of course.

Perhaps thats the attitude USCIS wants to foster? Marginalize I-751s to force everyone into N-400? They get two piles of cash from us, plus more potential cannon fodder. For the USCIS its a win/win scenario. The only losers are us!

Anyhow, we can apply for N-400 in a few weeks, and we will do so. If for no other reason then Nebraska loses our file to the local office. I have found the locals to be semi-kinda-sorta reasonable and almost competent so far. Nebraska on the other hand, they should all be fired and trained monkey shipped in to replace them. The monkeys could not possibly do any worse then the current crop of "pay-us-to-ruin-your-life" clowns.

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
Not to bust any stones, but has anyone been over to the N-400 forum? I have, and I don't see any of the hand wringing, screaming, and people running around with their hair on fire like I do here in this forum. Myself included, of course.

Perhaps thats the attitude USCIS wants to foster? Marginalize I-751s to force everyone into N-400? They get two piles of cash from us, plus more potential cannon fodder. For the USCIS its a win/win scenario. The only losers are us!

Anyhow, we can apply for N-400 in a few weeks, and we will do so. If for no other reason then Nebraska loses our file to the local office. I have found the locals to be semi-kinda-sorta reasonable and almost competent so far. Nebraska on the other hand, they should all be fired and trained monkey shipped in to replace them. The monkeys could not possibly do any worse then the current crop of "pay-us-to-ruin-your-life" clowns.

FINALLY ...somebody sees the reality! :thumbs:

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Exactly, which is why it isn't a big deal to me to "check two forums". Good luck!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

The N-400 section seems pretty quiet, actually. Mostly administrative questions. The form itself seems pretty straightforward as well. The main hurdle is the $700 filing. But if paying that money helps me rid my life of Nebraska, I'm all for it.

May 27, 2009: N-400 Window Opens

June 2, 2008: N-400 Sent

June 3, 2008: N-400 Received at Nebraska Service Center

June 13, 2008: NOA1

June 16, 2008: Biometrics letter

June 24th, 2008: Biometrics Appointment

July 7th, 2008: Called FBI, verified that biometrics check has been completed and returned to USCIS

August 26th, 2008: N-400 Interview Passed

September 18th, 2008: Swearing in, Billings Montana

Send Expedited 14-day passport paperwork???

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I will be applying for citizenship asap (summer 08) for several reasons:

- I want to be able to vote, since political decisions affect my life, and the only way to vote is to be a citizen

- travel is easier

- I am fortunate that Canadians can have dual citizenship

- No greencard to renew in 10 years :lol: no more USCIS

Heading Home!

Naturalization

Feb 28/2011 - sent paperwork

Mar 3/11 - received text & email notification - they have it!

Mar 15/11 - text, email, and notice sent - biometrics booked

April 12/11 - biometrics done - I start studying

May - get the letter

June 27 - Interview and oath ceremony - same day

Lifting Conditions

Feb 5/08 - Sent paperwork by USPS - priority

Feb 14/08 - NOA issued

Feb 28/08 - Biometrics letter received for The Bronx Office - have to reschedule

Mar 22/08 - Biometrics rescheduled - LOVE the Saturday appointment!

Feb ?/09 - done!

I'M HIGHLY OPINIONATED WHEN I WANT TO BE, BUT I NEVER SAID I WAS RIGHT

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.