Steve and Amara

1-864 Affidavit of support & co sponsor

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Ughh, im starting to chase my own tail. Feeling slightly stressed.

So its established that it is in our best interests for my US fiance to get CO-SPONSOR for the affidavit of support, in which case it will be his parents.

I have read that he will now need to fill the 1-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FORM, NOT the 1-134.

Is this correct, as we are filing for a k1 visa?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Unless things have changed since I filed for my K-1, your Fiance will still fill out the I-134, not the I-864. In addition, his parents will also need to complete an I-134 and provide all supporting documents as per the instructions.

The I-864 is filed when adjusting status from that of a K-1 holder to a permanent resident. This stage doesn't happen until the K-1 has been issued and you are married.

Thanks

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Ughh, im starting to chase my own tail. Feeling slightly stressed.

So its established that it is in our best interests for my US fiance to get CO-SPONSOR for the affidavit of support, in which case it will be his parents.

I have read that he will now need to fill the 1-864 AFFIDAVIT OF SUPPORT FORM, NOT the 1-134.

Is this correct, as we are filing for a k1 visa?

I agree.. it is the I 134 that you need to have filled out, not the I 864.. the I 864 is used for the adjustment of status... oneder :star:

Passage Revelation 19:11:

11And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

"satan is real and he's playing for keeps
God is realer and we are His sheep
which side are you on, CHOOSE, start moving your feet
choose JESUS and have ETERNAL PEACE" by GOD to me on 9/26/10 about 2am
Thank you Jesus!!!!

Bebe and Cece Winans Heaven

Abdel Halim Hafez Qariat al Fingan

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I-134 is for NON-Immigrant visas. K-Visas are NON-Immigrant, so the consulate uses I-134 for them.

I-864 is for GREEN-CARDS, this is used by the consulate only for IMMIGRANT visas like CR-1 and IR-1 spousal visas. I-864 is later used by K-Visa holders in the USA when they file I-485 to adjust status and apply for a GREEN-CARD.

Other Immigrant Categories - When an I-134 May be Needed

Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864 under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The applicants must show that they will not become a public charge. A consular officer may ask for an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 and supporting documents. The sponsor will need to show income at 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under Section 213A of the INA.

Should K-1 fiancé(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

Since fiancé(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Your co-sponsor will also fill out an I-134.

Edited by YuAndDan

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
I-134 is for NON-Immigrant visas. K-Visas are NON-Immigrant, so the consulate uses I-134 for them.

I-864 is for GREEN-CARDS, this is used by the consulate only for IMMIGRANT visas like CR-1 and IR-1 spousal visas. I-864 is later used by K-Visa holders in the USA when they file I-485 to adjust status and apply for a GREEN-CARD.

Other Immigrant Categories - When an I-134 May be Needed

Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864 under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The applicants must show that they will not become a public charge. A consular officer may ask for an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 and supporting documents. The sponsor will need to show income at 100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under Section 213A of the INA.

Should K-1 fiancé(e) visa applicants use the I-864 or the I-134?

Opps, so that means i printed out the 19 pages of the 1-864 for nothing.... :(

Since fiancé(e)s are nonimmigrant visa applicants, they should use the I-134. They will need to submit an I-864 to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) when they adjust status to conditional immigrant in the United States after they are married.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/I-864GenInfo-FAQ-Final.pdf

Your co-sponsor will also fill out an I-134.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Opps, so that means i printed out the 19 pages of the 1-864 for nothing.... :(
Save them for later you will eventually need them. The directions will give you a good idea of financial evidence that is acceptable by the consulate and later by USCIS.

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

• 2 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

I just want to make sure that this topic is still correct.

I am petitioning for my fiance (K-1 visa) and filled out the I-134 affidavit of support. I am also having my mom fill out the I-134 affidavit of support as a co-sponsor. Both my mom and I will be submitting the bank statement, IRS transcripts, employment verification letters, etc. I just want to clarify that my mom should not fill out the I-864. Arguing with my mom:( I thought I saw something on the USCIS website stating this, but now I can't find it.

Please confirm. Thanks and good luck to all!! I will post the interview results in the 'reviews section'.

--------------------------

05/2006 First met in Beijing, China

06/21/2006 Officially together

06/21/2006 to present-day continuously dated while working and living in Beijing, China

10/2006 My mom and aunt finally meet her

03/2007 My parents come to Beijing to meet her

05/2008 Our vacation to Shanghai

10/2008 Our vacation to Thailand. Sawadikaaaa

02/2009 Visit her family for Chinese New Year

10/2009 Our vacation to Malaysia and Macau. Ney ho ma?

05/2009 Began living together in Beijing, China

01/30/2010 Mailed I-129f certified mail to California Service Center

02/02/2010 NOA1

02/03/2010 Touched

03/05/2010 NOA2 APPROVED Emailed me, then checked USCIS website. I can't believe it was so fast!

03/26/2010 Received 'Packet 3' in China.

04/02/2010 Sent 'Packet 3' to Guangzhou consulate.

04/21/2010 Received email that interview will be June 8th!

??? Packet 4 received.

06/08/2010 Interview - Pink Slip!

07/26/2010 Arrived in the US

08/02/2010 Married at City Hall

09/21/2010 AOS sent out

12/17/2010 AOS interview but USCIS cancelled via letter

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I just want to make sure that this topic is still correct.

I am petitioning for my fiance (K-1 visa) and filled out the I-134 affidavit of support. I am also having my mom fill out the I-134 affidavit of support as a co-sponsor. Both my mom and I will be submitting the bank statement, IRS transcripts, employment verification letters, etc. I just want to clarify that my mom should not fill out the I-864. Arguing with my mom:( I thought I saw something on the USCIS website stating this, but now I can't find it.

Please confirm. Thanks and good luck to all!! I will post the interview results in the 'reviews section'.

Yes it is correct. I-134 for the K visa process.

Did you explore all of the immigration options? If you are both living there in China, get married, and apply for a CR1 spouse visa directly with the embassy/consulate your then spouse would (after approval) arrive in the US with LPR status rather than the K1 visa which requires the Adjustment of Status and other filings to be able to work, etc.

Best of luck.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.