greeneyedgirlfl

1st time international traveler

45 posts in this topic

I have never been outside the US in my entire life. As a USC, what do I need to take besides my passport? What should I expect at Gatwick when I arrive early Friday morning?

Any clarification will put my mind more at ease...I'm already petrified of flying! I have read the safety and security information and have looked at the map of the South Terminal at Gatwick.

Right now, I am a bundle of nerves!!! :girlwerewolf2xn:

Thanks for your help!

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I have never been outside the US in my entire life. As a USC, what do I need to take besides my passport? What should I expect at Gatwick when I arrive early Friday morning?

Any clarification will put my mind more at ease...I'm already petrified of flying! I have read the safety and security information and have looked at the map of the South Terminal at Gatwick.

Right now, I am a bundle of nerves!!! :girlwerewolf2xn:

Thanks for your help!

AHHH i remember my first trip outside the country...Brasil 1991 during gulf war. ok flash forward to London 2006 and the rest is history. first of all RELAX!! depending on where you are flying from it will be about 6 hours flight. (that is my flight time from Detroit to London or Amsterdam) The planes are failry spacious and offer in seat entertainment. northwest even has "on demand" movies, video games and music. during the first 40 minutes on the flight the crew will serve you dinner, most meals are good. drinks are complimentary beer and wine also if on northwest. so drink up!!! the larger planes you barely feel any shifting if you are afraid of flying, it is smply like a big room that shakes a little during takeoff ..then it gets kind fo boring...settle in and watch the plane's position on the map , watch a movie, eat, read,

near landing the crew will serve a light breakfast usually yogurt, fruit and a bread product. you are given a "landing card" to fill out...BRING A PEN WITH YOU!!! it is simple form passport number possibly the name of hotel you are at or name of people receiving you. passport control can be a blur of long lines, be patient, if they ask why you are visiting tell them...landing card should also ask this.

go to baggage claim and collect your bags.

if staying at hotel check for busses that service your hotel...this is the cheapest or trains...they will be called "tubes" or "undergrounds" and they have a symbol a cirlce with a line through it.

appliances. check voltage rating it should say 110-220 v. if it does not do not use it !!!! it will overheat and ruin it...laptops usually are rated 110-220

before you go ..go purchase a cheap electric outlet adapter i go tmine at office max and works on every continent...i think it set me back a whopping 20 bucks... it is worth it .

the first day you arrive you will have lots of energy...if you want go sightseeing....but be warned the time difference will nail you the next day if this is the first time.

Drink water!!!!!! the airplane is 7 percent humidity you will be slightly dehydrated...drink (sip) water constantly. it will also help with fatigue!!!

expose yoruself to sunlight often it will reset your circadian rhythm faster. stick to if you can ..local sleeping times... if neccesary see Dr. to get ambien or soemthing to use temporarily.

other than that ENJOY!!!!!

did i miss anything?....lol

Dr. Bill

I-130

Sent: 11-16-07 (date actually sent)

Rec'd: 12-23-08 (this is date listed as received by USCIS

NOA1 : 2-4-08

touch: 2-7-08

touch : 4-13-08 (probably due to address change)

touch : 4-21-08

touch : 4-22-08

APPROVAL!!: 4-21-08

Payed AOS fee 6-26-08

I-129f

Sent: 3-07-08

NOA1: 3-11-08

touch: 3-14-08

touch: 4-21-08

touch :4-22-08

APPROVAL: 4-21-08

NVC received: 4-28-08

consulate received: 5-5-08

INTERVIEW!!! : 7-17-08

6073.gif

7109.gif

MAKE SURE YOU DONT GET A MIDDLE SEAT!!! Try to select a good seat online if u can. Otherwise call the airline. Go to seatguru.com and looking at the seating maps. Will tell u the good bad and ugly of most aircrart. Other than that, I always say as long as you have passport, creditcards and a phone, all will work out good on its own.

9/2006 Met in Sweden

2/2007 Began Dating in Holland

11/24/2007 Married (nairobi)

Clerk wedding 12/14/2007 (nairobi)

12/21/2007 Filed DCF

2/13/2008 Interview 221g

Waiting

3/26/2008 Approved

3 months 6 days from filing to approval including 221g AP.

I have an aisle seat in the front row of economy class...I have never been on a plane that had more than one aisle...so that's new for me too!!!

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
I have an aisle seat in the front row of economy class...I have never been on a plane that had more than one aisle...so that's new for me too!!!

Make sure to confirm that again when you check in at the ticket counter. Sometimes they can change things without letting you know.

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

You will be fine, my trip was my first trip out of the country too, i realized i wasnt that bad at all. I got myself all worked up for nothing. make copies of your passport leave one at home, take one with you put in your suit case other than the one you will be carrying your passport in.Take something to read on the flight cuz its long. Relax and have a good time.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Make sure to confirm that again when you check in at the ticket counter. Sometimes they can change things without letting you know.

front row of economy class??!!! that is a "bulkhead seat' you are GOLDEN !!!! insist on that seat no matter what you do...and the video screen is down between the seat you have to pull it up to watch it.

Dr. Bill

I-130

Sent: 11-16-07 (date actually sent)

Rec'd: 12-23-08 (this is date listed as received by USCIS

NOA1 : 2-4-08

touch: 2-7-08

touch : 4-13-08 (probably due to address change)

touch : 4-21-08

touch : 4-22-08

APPROVAL!!: 4-21-08

Payed AOS fee 6-26-08

I-129f

Sent: 3-07-08

NOA1: 3-11-08

touch: 3-14-08

touch: 4-21-08

touch :4-22-08

APPROVAL: 4-21-08

NVC received: 4-28-08

consulate received: 5-5-08

INTERVIEW!!! : 7-17-08

6073.gif

7109.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Make sure when you are about to land you start chewing on a bubble gum so as to reduce the effect of that cabin pressure release on your ears. Gatwick is quite big but trust me you have no cause to be nervous the have very nice people working at the airport who are always ready to help. Take care and have a safe flight. :thumbs:

I also programed the US consulate phone # in my phone before i left. (For just incases) You will have a great time and be ready to go again like a pro LOL.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Thank you all so much for the reassuring words and tips...they are a big comfort to me...still nervous about flying, but, trust me, this helps!!!

Dawn

March 2007 - Met online

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Better you fly to Gatwick than Heathrow!

I always take sandwiches on the plane with me as I undoubtedly get very bored and it uses up 10 mins to eat them!

Don't bring any drinks though as you can't take them thru security. You can buy water once you're through security, and you'll need it because planes have NO humidity so you get dehydrated very easily.

If you have an MP3 player, put a lot of music on it, otherwise you'll get bored of listening to the same thing over and over.

Don't worry though, the worst thing about the flight is its length - it seems to go even longer when you know your sweetie is at the end of it! Have a safe flight :)

Oooh - how exciting :D I *love* flying :)

You'll have a grand time - remember that turbulence is normal and that you aren't going to die :lol:

Let us know how it goes!!!

(¯`v´¯).•*¨`*•?.•´*.¸.•´*

.`*.¸.*´ ~Timeline~

¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

10 Year GC Received 03/16/11 - Apply for Citizenship 01/28/12!

*´•.¸.*´•.?•*`.¸

(¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•? •

Updating our story and website @ Jeraly.com!

Ucavm8.png?5mOl2yoSa4X9m8.png?i1gWjM94

Join the VJ facebook group! • • • Live in Cali? Join the Brits in California facebook group!

August 2008 AOS Spreadsheet is here! • • • July 2007 K-1 Spreadsheet is here!

Awww Dawn, I'm so excited for you.

The process is a little different to my experience in US airports. You will get off the plane and walk to immigration, which always seems to be a hike but that might be because I'm returning home, it will probably all blur by for you rushing through to see Darren. You will get to a big hall where there will be EU and non EU immigration lines, jump in a non EU line, show your Visa Waiver (which you fill in on the plane) and passport and they will send you straight through - actually its down an escalator - there are plenty of signs in plenty of languages to guide you.

Gatwick has bigger problems than USC's visiting their SO's so will hardly give you a second glance if the forms are all correct. Then you will go through to baggage claim, which at Gatwick can be a it of a maze. Make sure you have a good look around on your flight so you recognize lots of faces and you can follow them at this point to the right carousel. It'll be on the screens too though. This is what I find really strange in the US airports I've flown into, the baggage claim is always in the arrivals lounge - anyone can pop in and pick up some luggage! Its before you get to arrivals at Gatwick so don't forget to pick them up before you go through! Anyway, you'll grab your bags, hike them on a trolley and then all you have to do is walk (or run) through customs. They might call you over to check your bags but thats also very unlikely. The arrivals exit at Gatwick is a bottle neck, there is no way you will be able to miss Darren or him miss you.

Have a wonderful flight and holiday and don't forget to ask if you can upgrade if you see an empty space in Business Class. Once the doors have closed and they aren't letting anyone else on those seats stay empty until someone puts their bum in it. You have a great advantage in your seat as you will be able to see everything thats free, the air stewardess should be happy to let you move, especially if you point out that its your first time flying international.

Take Care

Bex xxx

Edited by BexandAlan

I-129F

12.03.08 ~ NOA1

12.05.08 ~ NOA2

06.06.08 ~ Packet 3

18.06.08 ~ Packet 4

25.06.08 ~ Medical

11.07.08 ~ Interview - Approved!

22.07.08 ~ POE Atlanta

K1 = 3months, 29days

AOS

07.11.08 ~ NOA 1 - AOS, EAD, AP

24.11.08 ~ Transferred to CSC

28.11.08 ~ Biometrics

31.12.08 ~ EAD/AP Approved :)

23.03.09 ~ RFE

06.04.09 ~ RFE response delivered to CSC

22.04.09 ~ Card production ordered

01.05.09 ~ Conditional GC arrived in the mail

Permanent Residence = 5months, 15days

Filed: Timeline

Oh, how exciting for you, GEG! :dance:

• Take some earphones so you don't have to pay for the ones they hand out on the plane. (If there's a fee involved.... depends on the airline.)
  • I cannot sleep on airplanes, plus I tend to get motion sickness, so I take some Gravol with me(Canadian drug - American equivalent is dramamine or dimenhydrinate.)
  • I'm terrible for getting jetlag. I've heard that Melatonin is helpful so I have some of that for my next trip.
Speaking of next trips.... I'll be flying over there this summer but I haven't booked it yet. Who are you flying with, and are you flying out of Orlando?
iagree.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.