rhymeswithcandi

How do you use eat with your knife and fork?

Fork Etiquette  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How do you use your fork and knife?

• I'm Canadian and eat European style
    • I'm American and eat European style
    • I'm Canadian and eat American style
    • I'm American and eat American style

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I was once told (by an American) that the way I was using my fork when cutting my food was incorrect. After getting over the fact that she had just tried to correct my table etiquette, I let her know that she was wrong. Actually, another American had commented on this to me before years ago - I was having dinner with some friends in Mass and a man at the table said "If it were 1776, I would think that you were a British soldier" I was completely confused by this. Was he telling me I had terrible table manners? I had always thought myself quite savvy in matters of table etiquette. I guess I wasn't. See the confusing wash over my face he elaborated "One of the ways to detect a British spy during the Revolutionary war, was how he cut his food... how he used his fork. You woulda just given yourself away." He was old and smart and really meant it all in humor. I'd never known that.

I still eat "like a British soldier". I'm just wondering if that's the case with all Canadians or just some...

To clarify the difference here are descriptions:

American Style

The knife is held in the right hand and the fork in the left. Holding food to the plate with the fork tines-down, a single bite-sized piece is cut with the knife. Never cut more than one piece at a time. The knife is then placed on the right edge of the plate (always with the blade facing inward) and the fork transferred to the right hand, with the left hand falling to the lap. The cut piece is then speared (if not already during the cut) or scooped and eaten using the fork in a tines-up orientation. The fork is held in the right hand or put down on the plate while chewing. The fork is then transferred back into the left hand, the right hand picks up the knife, and the process is repeated as necessary. A left-handed consumer can retain the fork in the stronger hand, although the knife is still released. While the position of the hand does not matter as it is placed on the fork while doing so, this is not considered completely proper.

or

European Style

The European manner is to hold the knife and fork, in the right and left hands respectively, throughout consumption. The hand grasp is also different: in Europe it is considered better manners not to hold a knife or fork as one would hold a pen, but to have the handle running along the palm and extending out to be held by thumb and forefinger. This style is sometimes called 'hidden handle'. This method is also common in Canada and other former parts of the British Empire. In contrast to the American method of using a fork much like a spoon (tines up), the British primarily use the fork with tines facing away from the user (tines down).

The cause of the difference in custom is uncertain. It is believed to have originated because the 17th century American colonists had established themselves before the fork, and any custom of its use, had become widespread in Europe. The implement did not become widespread in Europe (certainly northern Europe) until the 18th century, and was not adopted in the United States until the 19th century. The American use of blunt-ended knives was also a factor.

Interesting Wiki on the history/ background etc.

Edited by rhymeswithcandi

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I absolutely hate when people correct others on their eatting etiquette. I mean, I understand if they're slurping, and burping, but how you're holding your fork and knife?! I mean that's what parents do to their kids.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Since I use both hands for everything, I hold the fork in my left hand, knife in my right. Cut whatever I'm cutting and use the knife to scoop it onto the fork and then eat.

I pretty much always have both in my hand at all times. Fork tines are always up (otherwise I couldn't scoop onto it). If I only need a fork. Then I use the fork in my left hand with the tines up and eat. I guess I have seen the tines down before in England I guess. Don't recall ever seeing people eat that way in North American at all, then again I never really pay attention to it as I'm too busy actually eating...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

Timeline

Yes silliness for someone to 'correct' how someone is holding their knife and fork - or imply they are 'wrong'....I mean really.

Personally I use the American version as described above - this is the way I was taught as a child. My Mother was raised by her American relatives, this is probably why.

Edited by trailmix

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I definitely use both styles depending on what the meal is, who the company is and the occasion. Normally what is to be cut is cut into one to three bite size pieces, meats and vegetables. The knife is also used to place foods on the fork. Circumstanes dictate.

09/20/2006 - Sent I-129F

09/22/2006 - Received at NSC
09/28/2006 - NOA-1 (1-797C date )

10/02/2006 - Cheque cashed

10/02/2006 - NOA 1 (I-797C recieved in the mail)

12/08/2006 - NOA-2 in 79 days

12/13/2006 - NOA-2 hard copy recieved

12/26/2006 - Package recieved by NVC

12/30/2006 - Received by Montreal

01/22/2007 - Received Packet 3

04/16/2007 - Returned Packet 3

08/02/2007 - Received medical documentation

08/07/2007 - Received Interview date Aug. 9th

08/09/2007 - Received I-601 and 212 (not approved yet)

02/17/2008 - I-601 approved 212 abandoned

06/2?/2009 - New medical and passport and doc sent to Mtl

07/22/2009 - Recieved request for DS-221 and notarized letter of intent

07/31/2009 - Montreal recieves thier final requested doc.

09/01/2009 - Visa approved and mail out today

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

I am right handed, but I cut with my left and and the fork therefore always remains in my right hand and there is no need to transfer the fork back and forth between hands. The left hand, when not cutting, remains off the table and in my lap. That is what I was taught to do my by intensely WASP mother.

Edited by Delicia

My blog

10/01/2005: Married in Toronto

02/15/2006: Began Canadian Immigration

09/19/2007: Withdrew CIC application (they still hadn't processed anything)

10/01/2007: Moved back to U.S.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IR-1 application through Montreal Consulate

10/26/2007: I-130 mailed to CA Service Center

10/29/2007: USPS confirmation of receipt of I-130

02/13/2008: NOA-1 received (107 days)

07/02/2008: I-130 approved

07/22/2008: AOS filed including EAD and AP

07/25/2008: NOA-1s for all 3 received

08/20/2008: Biometrics appointment

08/22/2008: Received RFE for Affadivit of Support and Medical

10/21/2008: Submitted I-865W in lieu of co-sponsor and medical info to NSC

11/14/2008: online case status not updated since filing of AOS in July 2008

01/20/2009: Received another RFE for Affadavit of Support Info

02/02/2009: Responded to RFE with brand new AOS based on 2008 tax return (if that doesn't shut them up, dunno what will)

02/19/2009: EAD card received in mail (no updates on Online Case Status ever made)

02/23/2009: AP received (again, no online updates)

02/26/2009: Received interview appointment letter for 4/6/09

04/06/2009: AOS approved for unconditional GC

04/21/2009: GC received

Gentle reader,

I find this problem can be solved easily by eating with one's fingers. In order to encourage my dinner guests to engage in this simple practical ettiquette, I always try to seat the left-handed guests next to the right-handed guests so that their elbows will bump should they try to use a knife and fork instead of their fingers. I also encourage them to speak with their mouths open by asking pressing questions just as they shovel in another mouthful. I hope this helps.

Sincerely, Miss Ing Manners

:jest:

Okay, seriously, I tried to do it the British way just to be different, but found it difficult being right-handed. My fiance is originally British (even though I don't think he was using a knife and fork much before he immigrated to Canada as an infant) but I think he also does it the way we do. Now I'm probably going to stare at the poor man next time we eat together to see how he uses his knife!

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Timeline

I live on beer!!

Canadians Visiting the USA while undergoing the visa process, my free advice:

1) Always tell the TRUTH. never lie to the POE officer

2) Be confident in ur replies

3) keep ur response short and to the point, don't tell ur life story!!

4) look the POE officer in the eye when speaking to them. They are looking for people lieing and have been trained to find them!

5) Pack light! No job resumes with you

6) Bring ties to Canada (letter from employer when ur expected back at work, lease, etc etc)

7) Always be polite, being rude isn't going to get ya anywhere, and could make things worse!!

8) Have a plan in case u do get denied (be polite) It wont harm ur visa application if ur denied,that is if ur polite and didn't lie! Refer to #1

Timeline
Yes silliness for someone to 'correct' how someone is holding their knife and fork - or imply they are 'wrong'....I mean really.

Personally I use the American version as described above - this is the way I was taught as a child. My Mother was raised by her American relatives, this is probably why.

Drives me nuts when people correct someone... the lady who corrected me, I think, was being rude. The old guy I think was being funny.

Gentle reader,

I find this problem can be solved easily by eating with one's fingers. In order to encourage my dinner guests to engage in this simple practical ettiquette, I always try to seat the left-handed guests next to the right-handed guests so that their elbows will bump should they try to use a knife and fork instead of their fingers. I also encourage them to speak with their mouths open by asking pressing questions just as they shovel in another mouthful. I hope this helps.

:jest:

Okay, seriously, I tried to do it the British way just to be different, but found it difficult being right-handed. My fiance is originally British (even though I don't think he was using a knife and fork much before he immigrated to Canada as an infant) but I think he also does it the way we do. Now I'm probably going to stare at the poor man next time we eat together to see how he uses his knife!

Haha!!

I tried the American way but it seemed so awkward.

I live on beer!!

Breakfast of champions!

What I really find awkward is that thing where you are supposed to use a big soup spoon to twirl the pasta around your fork. There are ALWAYS loose pasta ends every time! I try to remember to order ziti or gnocci or tortalini so as to avoid embarrassing the people I'm dining with.

K1

10/02/2007 ~ Sent I-129F to CSC

2/27/2008 ~ NOA2!!! (148 days)

5/27/2008 ~ Interview --- APPROVED!!

5/28/2008 ~ Visa in hand (239 days)

7/17/2008 ~ POE Portal, North Dakota

7/26/2008 ~ Marriage

AOS

8/26/2008 ~ Sent AOS/AP/EAD to Chicago lockbox

9/18/2008 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

9/22/2008 ~ Transferred to CSC

11/05/2008 ~ AP/EAD approved (71 days)

1/20/2009 ~ AOS approved!!! (147 days)

1/29/2009 ~ 2-year GC arrived (156 days)

Removing Conditions

11/18/2010 ~ Sent I-751 to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ I-751 delivered to CSC

11/19/2010 ~ NOA1

12/10/2010 ~ Received biometrics letter

12/21/2010 ~ Biometrics in St Louis

12/29/2010 ~ Touch

1/04/2011 ~ Case status finally available online

2/16/2011 ~ Approved!! (89 days)

2/22/2011 ~ 10-year GC arrived (95 days)

Filed: Timeline

I'm originally from England with very proper British parents. Proper table manners and etiquette were drilled into me. Heck, they even sent me to charm school! :angry: I eat European style. I was also taught that it is poor manners and very rude to criticize someone else's table manners. Your dining companion was a real charmer. :lol:

Gentle reader,

:lol:

I remember the first time medieval dining came to Toronto. We had been served the first course (a chunky soup) and were drinking it from the bowl. We were all looking at each other a bit uncomfortably because we weren't sure if we should be doing it this way. We ended up howling when I said "Wouldn't it be funny if the waiter came back with our spoons?" :lol:

I live on beer!!

:lol::thumbs:

iagree.gif

Filed: Other Timeline

As a Canadian I use my knife and fork European style. Fork in left hand, knife in the right hand, fork never leaves left hand. I've always thought the American tradition of having to set down the knife and transfer the fork to the right hand before the food can get to your mouth is a waste of time :P

My hubby had a bit of culture shock when we went to Scotland for a friends' wedding and everyone there was either Canadian or British (the groom was Canadian, the bride English) and he was the only American in the entire room. He couldn't figure out the shovelling of food onto the fork with the knife, he is more accustomed to chasing it round his plate :lol: Which is probably why he doesn't really like peas! ;)

divorced - April 2010 moved back to Ontario May 2010 and surrendered green card

PLEASE DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME OR EMAIL ME. I HAVE NO IDEA ABOUT CURRENT US IMMIGRATION PROCEDURES!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

my thoughts - if i'm holding a knife and fork and someone gives me a hard time about how i'm eating, they are liable to wind up with one if not both in one of their hands - or elsewhere. :devil:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Timeline
my thoughts - if i'm holding a knife and fork and someone gives me a hard time about how i'm eating, they are liable to wind up with one if not both in one of their hands - or elsewhere. :devil:

I agree... correcting table manners is a huge faux pas. I think she was a b*tch and actually wanted to be rude. I explained the American vs. European difference at quite a bit of length and told her that the way she ate would probably been seen as "incorrect" in English circles. I think she felt exTREMELY silly because she had nothing to say to that!

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

I agree... correcting table manners is a huge faux pas. I think she was a b*tch and actually wanted to be rude. I explained the American vs. European difference at quite a bit of length and told her that the way she ate would probably been seen as "incorrect" in English circles. I think she felt exTREMELY silly because she had nothing to say to that!

Some people should mind their own damn business! :angry: Stupid old biddy. :angry: Candi, when someone is crazy enough to try to correct my table manners, I start smiling, chewing loudly with my mouth wide open, staring at them and laughing maniacally. Stick your tongue out and look like you're trying to see the food on it from time to time. If you are not comfortable with that, then glower at the offending party and chew your food very slowly and excessively. These methods work every time, they lose the element of control or someone who will listen to their nonsense. If they get up and walk away then it makes it even more worthwhile. :lol: Your method works well too. :thumbs:

IR5

2007-07-27 – Case complete at NVC waiting on the world or at least MTL.

2007-12-19 - INTERVIEW AT MTL, SPLIT DECISION.

2007-12-24-Mom's I-551 arrives, Pop's still in purgatory (AP)

2008-03-11-AP all done, Pop is approved!!!!

tumblr_lme0c1CoS21qe0eclo1_r6_500.gif

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.