ddurkin

Making the adjustment

32 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

Just so you guys know-I ordered a multi-reginal dvd player on ebay(my man is in Irish films & I couldn't watch them on my dvd player). I only paid $60.00 for it...............he is able to send me movies from dublin that I normally wouldn't be able to watch.

A relative of mine found a website that will deliver Irish products right to your door(although I don't know how fresh things are) but I know my man will be delighted with that when he gets here. He was here for three months & the thing he missed the most was the food. His curry-hp sauce, bisto(which we found here) it's the little things that he missed. I was upset that he didn't bring more cadbury chocolate with him :crying:

Ni neart go cur le cheile

"Togetherness is Strength"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

What films is himself in? Eons and eons ago I worked on one (costume dept) with Ewan Mc Gregor and Richard E. Grant...straight to VHS (yip, that long ago!) if I remember. I've never even seen it myself! :blush:

03.04.2009......Posted I-130 to U.S. Embassy

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

03.05.2009......I-130 received at Embassy

03.06.2009......Received Police Cert

03.18.2009......I-130 Approved

09.10.2009......Medical Exam

09.23.2009......Embassy receives Notice of Readiness

10.13.2009......Received our interview date

10.29.2009......Successful interview!

11.5.2009........Visa received in post

11.7.2009........All the family flew to the US together :)

12.20.2009......Received Welcome to America letter

12.24.2009......10 year Greencard received in the mail

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Bring some of your previous home with you - be that trinkets, books, music, food, whatever.

Celebrate your country's traditions (Bonfire Night, for example) - then make up new family traditions together (we observed Chinese New Year last month).

Keep up to date with home news (I subscribe to Channel 4 News' Snowmail - a daily email on what they will be discussing on that evening's edition).

Keep up to date with home gossip by emailing friends regularly (I must try harder at this).

Put photos of your new life online so that your friends & family can celebrate with you. Encourage them to do the same.

Moan occasionally that "things aren't like this back in [....]" - it's cathartic.

Enjoy the new things that you're experiencing & vocalize it.

And even when it's annoying that people don't always understand the words you use or how you say them, remember that the accent that you think of as bland over there is so cute over here... ;)

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

From my experiences living abroad and just moving to a new place in general, it also helps to have a Box of Stuff that makes you happy and think of home. Mine had a few photos, a pin from my hometown, a couple cards people sent, a few packs of my favorite candy (see how long that lasts!), a beer mat from a favorite pub, a couple ticket stubs from movies and concerts...just small, tangible things that bring WONDERFUL memories can do a lot for getting you out of a funk. it's just nice to know that you have a place where you can put those little bits and pieces that make your former home a part of you.

oh, and Irishgirl- I meant to ask, do you know the website that your relative found? I know an Irishman that's about to land at JFK who'd love to know that sort of thingis available!

Sept 26- mailed I129F from the UK

Oct 04- NSC receives Petition

Oct 7- Check cashed, we're in the system!

Oct 12- NOA1 receivedl

Oct 21- NOA2 RECEIVED! (email)!! yeah baby, yeah!!!!

Oct 25 NSC ships application to NVC...really rolling now...

Nov 4- NVC ships case to Dublin!!

Nov. 24- Packet 3 received

Dec. 8- Packet 3 materials mailed to Embassy

Dec. 13- Medical in Cork

January 27, 2006- The Interview- SUCCESS!

Feb. 7- He arrived in America- welcome home sweetie!!

Feb. 8- legally married at the Indianapolis clerk's office

Feb. 25- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago lockbox (packet weighed 2.6 pounds!), rec'd Feb. 27

Mar. 6- Received NOAs for I485 and I765, rejection for I131 (incorrect payment). I485 has wrong A#.

Mar. 7- Resubmitted I131

Mar. 14- NOA for I131

April 1, 2006- our Wedding with family and friends in Michigan!!

April 14- Biometrics appointment in Indianapolis

April 25- received Advance Parole

June 19- AOS interview, Indianapolis--APPROVED

June 30- GREEN CARD ARRIVES!!!

Timeline
From my experiences living abroad and just moving to a new place in general, it also helps to have a Box of Stuff that makes you happy and think of home. Mine had a few photos, a pin from my hometown, a couple cards people sent, a few packs of my favorite candy (see how long that lasts!), a beer mat from a favorite pub, a couple ticket stubs from movies and concerts...just small, tangible things that bring WONDERFUL memories can do a lot for getting you out of a funk. it's just nice to know that you have a place where you can put those little bits and pieces that make your former home a part of you.

oh, and Irishgirl- I meant to ask, do you know the website that your relative found? I know an Irishman that's about to land at JFK who'd love to know that sort of thingis available!

I will find out for ya & post it tomorrow

One thing I'm working on is a little folder for Ewen with local maps, phone numbers, and directions to and locations of places he might want to go during the day while I'm at work. I thought it might make him feel better if he didn't have to ask me stuff all the time, while at the same time it at least helps to point him in the right direction of a few times, and once he's more comfortable with his surroundings, he can develop his own favorites and routines.

So far on the list I have the closest post office, bank, grocery store, drug store, convenience store, coffee shop, mall, Blockbuster...even though I'll have the car during the day, we're lucky enough to have a lot of that stuff within walking/biking distance.

We also have a HUGE grocery store nearby with a nice little selection of British items. :thumbs:

Ewen's sent some of his things ahead already, so I've already mixed all our CDs together and put some of his things around the apartment. I've also done some shopping for him--just picking up stuff like new socks and t-shirts so he can purge his wardrobe some before he comes over.

Edited by pax

Abby (U.S.) and Ewen (Scotland): We laughed. We cried. Our witness didn't speak English. Happily married (finally), 27 December 2006.

Latest news: Green card received 16 April 2007. USCIS-free until 3 January 2009! Eligible to naturalize 3 April 2010.

Click on the "timeline" link at the left to view our timeline. And don't forget to update yours!

The London Interviews Thread: Wait times, interview dates, and chitchat for all visa types

The London Waivers Thread: For I-601 or I-212 applicants in London (UK, Ireland, and Scandinavia)

The London Graduates Thread: Moving stateside, AOS, and OT for London applicants and petitioners

all the mud in this town, all the dirt in this world

none of it sticks on you, you shake it off

'cause you're better than that, and you don't need it

there's nothing wrong with you

--Neil Finn

On second thought, let us not go to Camelot. 'Tis a silly place.

--Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Timeline

Here's a few...expensive but good for special occassions

Irish Food

Irish Tea

:)

03.04.2009......Ordered Police Certificate for Visa Purposes from Local Garda Office (ordered over the phone)

Timeline
One thing I'm working on is a little folder for Ewen with local maps, phone numbers, and directions to and locations of places he might want to go during the day while I'm at work. I thought it might make him feel better if he didn't have to ask me stuff all the time, while at the same time it at least helps to point him in the right direction of a few times, and once he's more comfortable with his surroundings, he can develop his own favorites and routines.

So far on the list I have the closest post office, bank, grocery store, drug store, convenience store, coffee shop, mall, Blockbuster...even though I'll have the car during the day, we're lucky enough to have a lot of that stuff within walking/biking distance.

We also have a HUGE grocery store nearby with a nice little selection of British items. :thumbs:

Ewen's sent some of his things ahead already, so I've already mixed all our CDs together and put some of his things around the apartment. I've also done some shopping for him--just picking up stuff like new socks and t-shirts so he can purge his wardrobe some before he comes over.

That is such a good idea :thumbs:

The best thing I did for my fiance to make his adjustment easier was to get Fox Soccer Channel. Seriously -- he shouts at the television every Saturday just like he was at home in the UK. Worth the extra $20 a month for the tier that includes it.

90day.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline

Great suggestion Pax- I'll work on that tonight. It'll make things easier for both of us :)

Sept 26- mailed I129F from the UK

Oct 04- NSC receives Petition

Oct 7- Check cashed, we're in the system!

Oct 12- NOA1 receivedl

Oct 21- NOA2 RECEIVED! (email)!! yeah baby, yeah!!!!

Oct 25 NSC ships application to NVC...really rolling now...

Nov 4- NVC ships case to Dublin!!

Nov. 24- Packet 3 received

Dec. 8- Packet 3 materials mailed to Embassy

Dec. 13- Medical in Cork

January 27, 2006- The Interview- SUCCESS!

Feb. 7- He arrived in America- welcome home sweetie!!

Feb. 8- legally married at the Indianapolis clerk's office

Feb. 25- Mailed AOS, EAD, and AP to Chicago lockbox (packet weighed 2.6 pounds!), rec'd Feb. 27

Mar. 6- Received NOAs for I485 and I765, rejection for I131 (incorrect payment). I485 has wrong A#.

Mar. 7- Resubmitted I131

Mar. 14- NOA for I131

April 1, 2006- our Wedding with family and friends in Michigan!!

April 14- Biometrics appointment in Indianapolis

April 25- received Advance Parole

June 19- AOS interview, Indianapolis--APPROVED

June 30- GREEN CARD ARRIVES!!!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Good luck, buddy.

lmao :whistle:

coracao.gif

CAROL & MARC

MY HONEY'S PROFILE

Remove Conditions

08-28-08 - Mailed I-751

08-30-08 - Delivered

09-01-08 - Touched

09-03-08 - Check cleared

09-06-08 - NOA1 in the mail (dated 08/29???)

10-09-08 - Biometrics (Touched)

12-16-08 - Email "Card production ordered"

12-24-08 - Santa came and brought my present (Greencard in the mail!)

kitazura.gifkpuppy1.gif

BICHON FRISE LOVER!!!

Timeline

ddurkin

checked out that website-it is the one Mand has a link for in a previous thread!

Thanks Mand!

I arrived here on xmas day and although its early days yet, I’ve just tried to settle in as a native as quickly as possible. Apart from sport I’ve just accepted everything about my new home and not lingered on much from the past.

There's no way i can miss listening to the commentary for Saints games (soccer) and i had to subscribe to "Satanta Broadband" to watch England rugby games on line....oh and the England cricket tour of India is soon to start :).......but apart from that I’m starting to feel like a local already :)

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.