boardashell_2000

Madonna inducted to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

37 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Madonna inducted to Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

NEW YORK (AP) -- Madonna, pop music's quick-change artist, was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Monday and paid tribute to people who encouraged her and even critics who panned her for helping drive her career.

Heartland hitmaker John Mellencamp, with his son Speck playing guitar and his parents watching from a balcony above the Waldorf Astoria Hotel ballroom, joined the rock-kicking with a rumbling version of "Authority Song."

"I wrote this song, and I still feel the same way today as I did when I wrote it 25 years ago," Mellencamp said.

Philly soul producers Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff, literate songwriter Leonard Cohen, British rockers the Dave Clark Five and surf instrumentalists the Ventures were among the other inductees.

Madonna recalled a teacher who encouraged her to follow her dreams when she was only 14.

"Thirty-five years later, people are still encouraging me to believe in my dreams," she said at the Waldorf Astoria induction ceremony. "What more could I ask for?"

Even the people who "said I was talentless, that I was chubby, that I couldn't sing, that I was a one-hit wonder, they helped me, too," she said. "They inspired me because they made me question myself repeatedly and pushed me to be better."

Singer Justin Timberlake, who helped produce Madonna's upcoming album, inducted her with an innuendo-laden speech.

"The world is full of Madonna wanna-bes. I might have even dated a couple," said Britney Spears' ex. "But there is truly only one Madonna."

Timberlake told of how he felt ill one day while working on Madonna's new album and she asked whether he wanted a B-12 shot. He said sure, expecting a doctor to show up, but Madonna pulled out a syringe and said, "Drop 'em."

After he pulled his pants back up, "She looked at me and said, 'That's top shelf,' and that was one of the greatest days of my life," he said.

"Everything he said is basically true," Madonna confirmed, "but I didn't say 'Drop 'em,' I said, 'Pull your pants down.' "

Madonna didn't perform, but asked punk rockers Iggy Pop and the Stooges to sing "Burning Up" and "Ray of Light." See why some people aren't happy about Madonna's induction »

At the end, a shirtless Pop said, "you make me feel shiny and new, like a virgin touched for the very first time," and tossed his microphone to the floor.

Gamble, taking the stage with his longtime partner, invited the audience to answer back his wish for "peace."

"Thank you so much, because that's exactly what our music represented," Gamble told the people gathered at for the annual ceremony, televised on VH1 Classic.

Patti LaBelle performed a chandelier-shaking rendition of "If You Don't Know Me By Now" to introduce Gamble and Huff. The songwriters and producers created a lush, melodic brand of soul performed by a variety of artists.

Gamble cited one: Billy Paul's tale of the adulterous affair in "Me and Mrs. Jones."

"There's a little 'Me and Mrs. Jones' going on here in New York," he said to laughter, hours after New York Gov. Eliot Spitzer was accused of hiring a prostitute.

He dispelled one rumor. The song "MFSB" stood for mother, father, sister, brother, he said. For years, others let their imaginations run wild with the initials.

One odd sign of the times: Among the favors distributed to guests at Monday's dinner was a box of 30 blank CDs, presumably so people wouldn't have to worry about buying CDs anymore.

The Ventures excelled at what is almost a forgotten art in rock music -- the instrumental. Nokie Edwards' twangy guitar gave the band its distinctive sound. They performed their first hit, "Walk, Don't Run," and "Hawaii Five-O."

John Fogerty recalled how he and fellow members of Creedence Clearwater Revival used to hang out in a garage learning the Ventures' songs.

"When the Ventures first hit the radio, I would say I was gone," Fogerty said. "The Ventures went on to record 250 albums. Think about that. These days, some of us would be happy to sell 250 albums."

Cohen, a Canadian, is one of music's most highly regarded, if not best-known, songwriters, through pieces like "Suzanne" and the much-covered "Hallelujah." Damien Rice sang the latter song in tribute.

Lou Reed, who was inducting Cohen, carried a sheaf of papers to the stage and read several examples of Cohen's lyrics.

"We're so lucky to be alive at the same time Leonard Cohen is," Reed said.

Cohen, dressed in a black tux, recited the lyrics to his song "Tower of Song" in a hushed voice.

"This is a very unlikely occasion for me," he said. "It is not a distinction that I coveted or even dared dream about."

Indiana's Mellencamp quickly ditched the stage name Johnny Cougar and became one of rock 'n' roll's most successful artists during the 1980s. "Pink Houses," "Hurts so Good" and "R.O.C.K. in the USA" are among his energetic hits. Mellencamp also joined with Neil Young and Willie Nelson to form the ongoing Farm Aid charity for American farmers.

The Dave Clark Five followed the Beatles in the original British Invasion, with catchy hits like "Glad All Over." Led by drummer and songwriter Clark, the band enters the hall at a tragic time: singer Mike Smith died at age 64 of pneumonia less than two weeks ago.

Little Walter, who died in 1968, joins the hall in its sidemen category. He recorded frequently with Muddy Waters in the 1950s.

"He defined an instrument, he defined a sound, he defined a genre," musician Ben Harper said of Little Walter

Find this article at:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/Music/03/1...rss_mostpopular

MET ONLINE- JUNE 21, 2005

WENT TO VISIT YASSINE IN MOROCCO- APRIL 15, 2006

SENT IN I129F TO CSC- NOVEMBER 2, 2006

RECIEVED NOA1- NOVEMBER 15, 2006

CHECK CLEARED- NOVEMBER 20, 2006

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

NVC RECIEVED CASE-FEBRAURY 16, 2007

NVC SENT CASE TO CASA-FEBRAURAY 21, 2007

CASA RECEIVED-FEBRAURAY 26, 2007

PACKET 3 RECEIVED-MARCH 5, 2007

INTERVIEW DATE-APRIL 4, 2007

VISA RECEIVED- APRIL 12, 2007 WOO HOO!!!!

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

FILED AOS & EAD- JULY 24, 2007

EAD CARD RECEIVED-OCTOBER 3, 2007

GREENCARD INTERVIEW-DECEMBER 13, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

FILING TO REMOVE CONDITIONS-SEPTEMBER 2009!

4621839_bodyshot_300x400.gif

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: England
Timeline

Leonard Cohen in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. What a strange & wonderful day.

Edited by SteveLaura

"It's not the years; it's the mileage." Indiana Jones

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
Leonard Cohen in the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame. What a strange & wonderful day.

So strange. And introduced by Lou Reed. I would have liked to have covered the induction (although I hear Mr. Reed is an arsehole).

Is it worse to induct Madonna into the RRHoF, or to induct Leonard Cohen after Madonna?

Go Madge!!!

Love you girl!!!!

mcknight-madonna.jpg

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Go Madge!!!

Love you girl!!!!

mcknight-madonna.jpg

HERE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADONNA ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

GREENCARD RECEIVED AFTER BEING LOST IN THE MAIL SENT BACK TO SERVICE CENTER AND REMAILED OUT AFTER SEVERAL PHONECALLS-JANUARY 25, 2008

Timeline
The things Madonna has said about Gypsies lately make me want to vormit, as a great VJ poster once said.

such as?

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

Madonna is awesome..stop trash talking my girl!!! :angry:

I'll be kicking butt and taking names!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Let's Keep the Song Going!!!

CANADA.GIFUS1.GIF

~Laura and Nicholas~

IMG_1315.jpg

Met online November 2005 playing City of Heroes

First met in Canada, Sept 22, 2006 <3

September 2006 to March 2008, 11 visits, 5 in Canada, 6 in NJ

Officially Engaged December 24th, 2007!!!

Moved to the U.S. to be with my baby on July 19th, 2008 on a K1 visa!!!!

***10 year green card in hand as of 2/2/2012, loving and living life***

Hmmm maybe we should move back to Canada! lol smile.png

Timeline
Madonna is awesome..stop trash talking my girl!!! :angry:

I'll be kicking butt and taking names!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Word up! You''ll have to get behind me though!!!!!!!

NOA2!!-FEBRUARY 6, 2007

US ENTRY- APRIL 26, 2007

WEDDING- MAY 4, 2007

Timeline
The things Madonna has said about Gypsies lately make me want to vormit, as a great VJ poster once said.

such as?

After talking about serious issues facing the Roma people, at a recent press conference about her new film, she said, "I think, secretly, I want to be a Gypsy. I love the idea of traveling round and playing music and letting life unfold in a spontaneous way."

This is akin to saying something like, "I think secretly, I want to be a n----r. I love the idea of playing the blues, eating the freshest watermelon, and having mystical powers."

It shows racism and ignorance and a desire to keep believing in outdated stereotypes.

Timeline

Don't get me wrong, I like the music she made in the 80s and 90s (and some of it now), but her cultural tourism is a little gag-me.