NEDawn

PO BOXES & Birth Certificates

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

My fiance and I are pulling together everything we need for our K-1. I am moving in a few weeks and my new location requires I use a PO BOX for my mail though the location is an actual street address. Is there any issue with using a PO BOX with your filing for the K-1? thanks!

Also I know my birth certificate is required for filing to prove my citizenship, does it have to be a certified copy or can I photo copy it? I want to also use it to apply for my passport, and if I have to send it with my filing of the I-129F then I will lose my only copy and it cost me a great deal to order more.

Approximate Timeline:

Me: Lives in Massachusetts, USA

Him: Lives in Scotland

Met: July 5, 2006 online in Second Life

Met real life: November 06, 2006

Engaged: December 8, 2006

First visit face to face: 83 days-11/06/06 to 01/22/07

2nd visit face to face: 30 days 04/19/07 to 05/17/07

3rd visit face to face: 42 days 9/25/07 to 11/08/07

Contact: Daily average 4-8 hours online, on skype, and by email.

Plans: To marry in 2008

My fiance received divorce decree 2 months early! Decree completed 2/11/08

Plan to begin filing of K-1 in July of 2008! Currently gathering documents, studying information, and preparing to file!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hey!

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your first question but I'm sure someone else will.

For the second question a photocopy of your certified birth certificate is all you need for your I-129F package that you mail in. You will however need to show your original birth certificate when you go for your interview.

Timeline
Hey!

Sorry, I don't have an answer for your first question but I'm sure someone else will.

For the second question a photocopy of your certified birth certificate is all you need for your I-129F package that you mail in. You will however need to show your original birth certificate when you go for your interview.

I have to go for an interview? I thought my fiance who is in Scotland had to do that??? Oh man I better go read the guides yet again LOL! :blink:

Approximate Timeline:

Plan to begin filing of K-1 in July of 2008! Currently gathering documents, studying information, and preparing to file!

Timeline
You don't go to the interview! The beneficiary does - your fiance.

Phew! :thumbs: I thought from what Canada said I had to take my bc to the interview, I thought the interview was for my fiance, I won't be in Scotland for that interview LOL ! :whistle:

Approximate Timeline:

Timeline

So does anyone know if I can use a PO Box ?

Approximate Timeline:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

As far as the birth certificate goes- yesterday I went to make a photocopy of my birth certificate and noticed that it says "Warning: It is a felony to copy or reproduce this certificate" So... are you sure it's ok just to send in a photocopy of your birth certificate?? I'm fine because I ordered two copies of my birth certificate so I have a few extra, but I was just curious.

"There was a boy with skin as dark as the earth & a girl with eyes as blue as the deep & they loved each other so well that people could not tell them apart, for in their hearts, there was no difference between them." -Brian Andreas

3-20-08: I-129F Petition Sent

3-24-08: NOA1

7-25-08: NOA2

10-27-08: Medical Exam

10-28-08: Interview! Approved!

12-20-08: U.S. Entry (POE Chicago)

1-2-09: Marriage

1-27-09: AOS package sent

2-3-09: NOA1 for I-485, I-765, and I-131

2-9-09: RFE received (need more income info. for household member)

2-24-09: Biometrics appoinment

2-25-09: RFE information sent back

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

When the I-129F is sent, do both my girlfriend and I have to send in a copy of our birth certificates, or only her? When will I have to provide documents such as birth certificate/passport?

Petition sent: 12/10/2010

Arrived at service center: 12/14/2010

First NOA: 12/16/2010

Touched: 12/31/2010

Second NOA: 05/24/2011

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline
When the I-129F is sent, do both my girlfriend and I have to send in a copy of our birth certificates, or only her? When will I have to provide documents such as birth certificate/passport?

The requirements of the I-129f indicate a copy of the birth cert is required for the petitioner only (the USC) however, occasionally people get RFEs for the benficiary's birth cert, so when we sent in our packet we included both just to be safe.

Regarding the PO Box issue, you could type in "see attached" in the address field, and indicate on the attached sheet your physical address and your mailing PO Box address.

As far as the birth certificate goes- yesterday I went to make a photocopy of my birth certificate and noticed that it says "Warning: It is a felony to copy or reproduce this certificate" So... are you sure it's ok just to send in a photocopy of your birth certificate?? I'm fine because I ordered two copies of my birth certificate so I have a few extra, but I was just curious.

It says right in the form instructions to include a photocopy. Don't worry, you won't be arrested! It will be your little secret with USCIS! :lol:

So does anyone know if I can use a PO Box ?

Hello!

As far as we are concerned, my fiance had to use his PO box.

He moved right after we applied for K1. At that time, we worried because we still didn't receive any NOA1 after almost 3 months. We called USICS, telling them we didn't have any NOA1, and they told us it was sent 2 months earlier at my boyfriend's former address. They asked for a new address, but my boyfriend didn't have any appartment. They told us that a PO box was ok, and now we are expecting our NOA2 at the PO box.

If you have any doubt, the best is to call them and explain your situation, and they will tell you what is the best!!

I hope this helps.

Best luck to you!

Faustine :blush:

K1 journey:

I129F sent mid-october 2007

I129F received by CSV: 10/19/07

NOA1 received early March and NOA2 received on March 19th!! We got APPROVED!!

File received by NVC and sent to US Embassy in Paris: 03/10/2008

05/06/2008: I sent the packet 3 to the embassy.

05/22/2008: Packet 4 received!

06/10/2008: Medical examination in Paris.

06/17/2008: INTERVIEW: Visa approved!!

08/31/2008: WEDDING

AOS journey:

09/05/2008: AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago

09/11/2008: Notice date for I-485, I-131 and I-765

10/16/2008: SSA finally gave me a SSN!!

11/17/2008: AP received and EAD approved!

11/20/2008: Biometrics appointment AND Green card interview in Fairbanks.

12/29/2008: I went to my local office to regive my biometrics. And my EAD card has finally been issued!!

01/12/2009: EAD received!! Finally

02/09/2009: GC received in the mail :) Anniversary is 01/29/11

Removal of conditions:

11/09/10: Divorced

11/18/10: Sent I-751 to CSV

11/30/10: Receipt notice received in the mail

12/30/10: Called USCIS as no news for 1 month after NOA1

1/10/11: Emailed from USCIS about my call: "The process for fingerprint appointment scheduling has been requested."

1/13/11: NOA2 ASC appointment notice

2/3/11: Biometrics at local office (NOA2 recieved on 2/2/11!!!)

2/16/11: Date of decision: APPROVED

2/24/11: Card in hand

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.