ScoNoun

How much time to enter US once K1 Visa is issued by Embassy?

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Hi VJ,

I have a question…..

Can someone tell how much time a person have to enter the US once a K1 Visa is issued? Specifically, the US Embassy is in Cambodia. I think its six months but I just want to confirm.

Someone told me that its 3 month so I am a little concern because it will affect me and my fiancée’s plans.

Thank you in advance.

Sept. 25, 2007 - I-129F sent

Sept. 26, 2007 - received by CSC

Nov. 06, 2007 - NOA1 Notice issued

Nov. 07, 2007 - Check Cashed

Nov. 08, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Nov. 20, 2007 - Touched

Feb. 13, 2008 - Touched

Feb. 13, 2008 - NOA2 (notified by Email)

Feb. 29, 2008 - NVC sent file to Phnom Penh US Embassy

Mar. 07 2008 - Embassy received file

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
Hi VJ,

I have a question…..

Can someone tell how much time a person have to enter the US once a K1 Visa is issued? Specifically, the US Embassy is in Cambodia. I think its six months but I just want to confirm.

Someone told me that its 3 month so I am a little concern because it will affect me and my fiancée’s plans.

Thank you in advance.

it's actually 120 Days...worldwide...so 4 months

AOS

Date Filed : 2008-02-15

NOA Date : 2008-02-26

RFE(s) : 2008-03-13

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

AOS Transfer** :

Interview Date : 2008-07-23

Approval / Denial Date : 2008-07-23

Approved : 2008-07-23

Got I551 Stamp :

Greencard Received:

EAD

RFE(s) :

Bio. Appt. : 2008-03-18

Approved Date : 2008-04-24

Date Card Received : 2008-05-03

Comments : Packet Arrived in Chicago - Feb 20, 2008

Check cashed Feb 28, 2008

AP

RFE(s) :

Date Approved: 2008-04-24

Date Received : 2008-05-01

Hi VJ,

I have a question…..

Thank you in advance.

it's actually 120 Days...worldwide...so 4 months

Once the visa is issued the fiance has 6 months to enter, the kid of the fiance (if any) 1 year for entering to US.

120 days is the validity of the NOA2 from the moment of the approval to the interview, the CO has the right the provide more time for this since some embassies are busier than other, and everything depends of the interview schedule.

you have six months to use the visa. Some embassies will actually reissue it if the beneficiary has a good reason for not using it within the 6 month time period.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

you have six months to use the visa. Some embassies will actually reissue it if the beneficiary has a good reason for not using it within the 6 month time period.

Exactly.

Six months.

The "three months" you heard was probably referring to the time period for getting married. Once the intending immigrant enters the US with a K-1, he/she has 3 months (90 days) to get married.

Love timeline:

??? 2003 -------> Started chatting regularly, became good friends

Nov 2004 -------> Fell in love

Jan 2006 -------> Met (in person) for first time

Apr 2008 -------> Wedding

Jun 2008 -------> Closed on house together

K-1 timeline:

Jun 11, 2007 -------> I-129f sent

Mar 20, 2008 -------> Visa in hand

AoS/EAD/AP timeline:

Apr 26, 2008 -------> Wedding

Apr 28, 2008 -------> Filed (forms mailed)

Apr 30, 2008 -------> Forms received by USCIS

May 06, 2008 -------> Cashed check posted to account

May 10, 2008 -------> NOA1 received for EAD, AP, and AoS

May 10, 2008 -------> Biometrics appt date received

May 28, 2008 -------> Biometrics for EAD & AoS

Jun 11, 2008 -------> AoS case transferred to CSC

Jul 05, 2008 -------> AP Approval

Jul 09, 2008 -------> EAD approval

Jul 14, 2008 -------> EAD and AP received

Jul 17, 2008 -------> AoS approved (card production ordered)

Now for my obnoxious signature Meez©:

0605_10033471973.gif

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Interesting question.

U.S. Immigration Policy on Temporary Admissions updated 25 January, 2007, pg 22, K-1 Visa duration

I thought for sure it was 6 months but I can find no confirmation of this other than a note on the VJ guides that states the 6 months period. I was very surprised that this does not appear to be addressed on the Dept of State or the American Embassy websites (I only checked the American Embassy in Moscow. A check of the corresponding American Embassy in Cambodia website might provide some information on this). Most likely I am missing something somewhere but I cannot find it. I did find the above document as a report to Congress that states 4 months, however, I would certainly defer to someone who has been through the entire process and can look at their visa for the date of issue v. date of expiration. The folks who have answered above may have this evidence at hand and may very well know more about this than I do. I was also unable to locate an answer after searching U.S. Code.

Anyone who is familiar with my posts about such matters knows that I may not know the answer myself but I will go to great lengths to find the answer. Presented above for your review is the only answer I could find after about 1 hour of searching. Please note that the document refers specifically to the K-1 Visa and not the application for the Visa.

It may be a good idea to contact USCIS with this question or try and contact the US Dept of State. They are very difficult to get a straight answer out of and chances are that they will refer you to USCIS anyway.

It sounds like something you really need to get a solid answer on. I am hopeful that maybe one of the previous posters can verify this either with personal experience or a statutory reference indicating 4 or 6 months. My fiancee will not be here for another month and only then can I look at her documents and definitively answer this based on the Embassy in Moscow.

Good luck.

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

Timeline

Perseverance pays off!!!

Cambodian Visa Validity

At last!!! I found the Dept of State webpage that answers your question. Screw the report to Congress!!!

:jest:

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensedregistered pharmacist". (because somebody gives a damn)

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Thank you all…especially NavarreMan…you’ve put my mind at eased. I plan to go to Cambodia to have an unofficial ceremony in mid July and need that 6 month to cover that date. I tried on my own to research this but couldn’t find anything. VJ is a wonderful community…I really appreciate you taking the time to look this up…THANKS again!!! Good luck to all!

Sept. 25, 2007 - I-129F sent

Sept. 26, 2007 - received by CSC

Nov. 06, 2007 - NOA1 Notice issued

Nov. 07, 2007 - Check Cashed

Nov. 08, 2007 - NOA1 Hardcopy

Nov. 20, 2007 - Touched

Feb. 13, 2008 - Touched

Feb. 13, 2008 - NOA2 (notified by Email)

Feb. 29, 2008 - NVC sent file to Phnom Penh US Embassy

Mar. 07 2008 - Embassy received file

Timeline

No problem!

Thanks to those that, like me, knew the answer was 6 months. When all I could find was a report to Congress that said otherwise, I just knew that it could not be right. So Jesse, Jaz, N@W & YMR, thanks for your input. Hey VJ! Any chance you want to hang that link somewhere so it will be available later?

Russia-USA.png

Together at last!!!

Entry 4/8/08

Marriage 6/7/08

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
that's right

6 months :thumbs:

hello, first time to write anyone here, are packet was mailed to guanqzhou on 1/16/2008. my girl tracked it by the dhl#

it now says there is a problem it has been confiscated, lack of a proper document? have you heard of this, i called dhl to find out more. thanks dan

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.