workin4somethin

So.... how are the driving lessons going?

316 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

The problem with Columbus and Louisville is lack of vantage point for a nice view. Cinci has a great one! There is a reason Cinci has the Skyline Chili restaurants. :yes:

I have to agree with Kazan. When my wife and I have cruised down the interstate she always comments about how beautiful the skyline of Cincinatti is. She does not say a word when we cruise past Columbus or Louisville.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
The first time my wife tried to move my Jeep, this is what happened.... maybe that's why she wanted a car instead.

:blink:

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Skyline Chili absolutely rocks! There's nothing else like it (except all the other chili places in Cincinnati) and it gives a whole new meaning to the term "3-way." If you're not from around here it takes some getting used to and it's not the chili you want to be eating out on the trail (has kind of a White Castle after-effect) but it sure is good for chili-cheese-coneys (hot dogs with chili and cheese) during the game.

Cincinnati's skyline is quite beautiful, especially when rounding that bend on I-75, but that's about it. That's the "money shot" for the city. We have a large number of nice parks in the city/county but after that, pickins are kind of slim for such a large city. Plus, I think that skyline shot kind of misrepresents the city. It makes it look like a big, bustling city when in reality this place is "big village" for those who've lived elsewhere. Anyway, it is nice to drive through, provided you stay on the highway and don't exit anywhere within city limits. And since so many of you pass through here.... PM me next time and I'll give you a guided tour of "the hood." I live only about five minutes past that view and about two minutes after passing the bridge. Stop by, we'll get a couple of 3-ways and coneys, watch the Reds lose, and then leave the city before the "fireworks" start.

The first time my wife tried to move my Jeep, this is what happened.... maybe that's why she wanted a car instead.

The second picture is what I woke up to. The Jeep was parked against the house. She got in to move it and it rolled back into the house. House was fine. Jeep, not so much. Not too bad though, just a small dent in the tailgate but it still operates just fine. I think I'd had it all of three weeks at the time. Wow! What a nice used Jeep.

Actually, it wasn't such a big deal. I look at Jeeps the same way I look at my pickup trucks. They're a utility vehicle and not to be all sparkly and nice. Dents, dings, scratches, etc. don't diminish the overall look. It's supposed to have those things on it. If you have a SUV or a truck and it's in immaculate condition then you need to trade it in for a car, Nancy. (Exception: If you're one of those truck guys that keeps your truck super clean, I get it. But, there better be at least one scratch in the bed!)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Oh man how I miss Skyline chili 3-ways! I miss Bogart's too...

Slim, your jeep pictures scared me a lot! Could have been much worse though!

Wife's visa journey:

03/19/07: Initial mailing of I-129F.

07/07/11: U.S. Citizenship approved and Oath Ceremony!

MIL's visa journey:

07/26/11: Initial mailing of I-130.

05/22/12: Interview passed!

Timeline

I lived on West 6th street in Covington for a year back in the early 1990s and used to sometimes take a stroll over to Newport. Now that tended to me a bit scary and hoodlike! :lol: What I really miss is a LaRosa's pizza.

Skyline Chili absolutely rocks! There's nothing else like it (except all the other chili places in Cincinnati) and it gives a whole new meaning to the term "3-way." If you're not from around here it takes some getting used to and it's not the chili you want to be eating out on the trail (has kind of a White Castle after-effect) but it sure is good for chili-cheese-coneys (hot dogs with chili and cheese) during the game.

Cincinnati's skyline is quite beautiful, especially when rounding that bend on I-75, but that's about it. That's the "money shot" for the city. We have a large number of nice parks in the city/county but after that, pickins are kind of slim for such a large city. Plus, I think that skyline shot kind of misrepresents the city. It makes it look like a big, bustling city when in reality this place is "big village" for those who've lived elsewhere. Anyway, it is nice to drive through, provided you stay on the highway and don't exit anywhere within city limits. And since so many of you pass through here.... PM me next time and I'll give you a guided tour of "the hood." I live only about five minutes past that view and about two minutes after passing the bridge. Stop by, we'll get a couple of 3-ways and coneys, watch the Reds lose, and then leave the city before the "fireworks" start.

The second picture is what I woke up to. The Jeep was parked against the house. She got in to move it and it rolled back into the house. House was fine. Jeep, not so much. Not too bad though, just a small dent in the tailgate but it still operates just fine. I think I'd had it all of three weeks at the time. Wow! What a nice used Jeep.

Actually, it wasn't such a big deal. I look at Jeeps the same way I look at my pickup trucks. They're a utility vehicle and not to be all sparkly and nice. Dents, dings, scratches, etc. don't diminish the overall look. It's supposed to have those things on it. If you have a SUV or a truck and it's in immaculate condition then you need to trade it in for a car, Nancy. (Exception: If you're one of those truck guys that keeps your truck super clean, I get it. But, there better be at least one scratch in the bed!)

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
If you're not from around here it takes some getting used to and it's not the chili you want to be eating out on the trail (has kind of a White Castle after-effect) but it sure is good for chili-cheese-coneys (hot dogs with chili and cheese) during the game.

A few weeks ago, on our way back from a birthday party for some of our Russian friends, we were driving past a White Castle and I felt that irresistable pull.

The b-day party was great but the food wasn't to my taste - too much smoked fish, caviar, and holadyets, so I was hungry.

Anyway, my wife was silent while we went through the drive-through and I ordered a sack. But as we were pulling out of the drive-through, she couldn't hold back any longer: "why did you order TEN gamburgers????"

I laughed the rest of the ride home and showed her how small the burgers are. And yes, I paid for it the next day, but it was worth it.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Timeline

I could live without White Castle and probably do without the Chili but I have to agree with Kazan that I would love it if we had LaRosa Pizza here. The other pizza down that way I used to really like is Pizza Tower out by Kings Island. I have not been there for years now but used to stop any time I could.

I think a lot of people have to learn a hard lesson on driving to take it seriously. Hopefully my wife's porch episode and slims jeep thingy cured them.

Off the topic of RW but I will never forget a young gal who lived with me for 3 + years driving my new Camero Z-28 to the laundramat very late one night by herself, making a right turn through an underpass and not allowing enough room, coming back at 4 am and telling me as she made the turn the wall came out and hit her.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

:secret: rhinoliner

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Oh man how I miss Skyline chili 3-ways! I miss Bogart's too...

Slim, your jeep pictures scared me a lot! Could have been much worse though!

I'm really surprised so many of you have "done time" in the Queen City. I live right by Bogarts but never go, short Vine isn't what it used to be. Well, on second thought, maybe it's exactly what it used to be. Very interesting, to say the least. Bogarts is still the place to go, they're always having big-name acts.

The Jeep wasn't damaged too badly and luckily, neither was the wife! She didn't actually reverse into the house, just rolled back about 10 feet after popping the clutch. Or, disengaging the e-brake, pushing in the clutch, taking it out of gear and then frantically searching for the brake with her other foot all the while holding in the clutch. Or, releasing it but forgetting that it was in neutral. Or, pushing in the clutch with her right foot and forgetting to engage the brake or..... who knows what actually happened. I was already passed out and she wasn't exactly fit to operate a motor vehicle. One of those nights.

I lived on West 6th street in Covington for a year back in the early 1990s and used to sometimes take a stroll over to Newport. Now that tended to me a bit scary and hoodlike! :lol: What I really miss is a LaRosa's pizza.

Newport actually invested several million bucks in redoing the riverfront. They have a very nice shopping mall there with a theater and bars, restaurants, etc. and they're taking all Cincinnati's entertainment money away. There are several high-rise condo developments going in now and it's really snazzy in certain parts. Two blocks away though you can still buy heroin and crack from the cast of the Jerry Springer show.

A few weeks ago, on our way back from a birthday party for some of our Russian friends, we were driving past a White Castle and I felt that irresistable pull.

....... I laughed the rest of the ride home and showed her how small the burgers are. And yes, I paid for it the next day, but it was worth it.

That's the CRAVE!!!

My wife actually enjoys the gamburgers (and chicken sandwiches) but she won't eat them anymore because they "make bomb" inside her stomach.

I could live without White Castle and probably do without the Chili but I have to agree with Kazan that I would love it if we had LaRosa Pizza here. The other pizza down that way I used to really like is Pizza Tower out by Kings Island. I have not been there for years now but used to stop any time I could.

I believe the Pizza Tower is out of business now, converted into a Mexican restaurant. I'll have to double-check next time I'm out that way. Traffic is horrible over there now. You probably woudn't recognize that area anymore as it's one of the fastest-growing communities in the state and there are shopping centers all around. And no more roads!

For all of you still wanting that taste of Cincinnati, check out http://www.cicnyfavorites.com where you can order LaRosa's pizza, Skyline Chili, and a couple other Cincinnati treats.

:secret: rhinoliner

As soon as the funds are available, the tub of my Jeep will be rhinolined. Both of my F-150s that I bought new were at the spray-on shop the next day. That stuff is worth it's weight in gold. I wouldn't think of buying a new truck without budgeting for the rhinoliner as well. It's that good!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Slim:

If you got yourself a real bumper on there, it wouldn't be a problem. Some guy backed into me in the parking lot the other day. ###### his bumper all up, not a scratch for me. Similar thing happened with my back bumper - the person who tapped into me in the parking lot had to be towed away - not a scratch on my Jeep. I love my urban armour (:

In related news - my wife has a second interview at a bank tomorrow (position of purchasing manager - establishing a new purchasing department). First interview was with the CFO. Second interview is with the CFO and some other guy. I'm hoping for the best - she gets an offer and it is a suitable offer. We'll see how it goes. If she gets the job, there's a good chance she could be making more than me (:

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Country: Belarus
Timeline
Does anyone know where to go, and what is required, in Russia to get an international driver's license....?

Thanks

Back when I was a member of the AAA (American Automobile Association) I purchased an international driver's licence from them back in the 1990's that was valid for Russia (and several other countries). You have to carry it along with your local state driver's license. Back in the 1990's in Belarus and Russia it was easier to hire a driver and car than to rent a car, so I never used it. If I remember correctly, the license expired after 1 year.

Check with the Russian consulate here in the USA for more current info. They should be able to tell you what you need to know. Or call AAA in your city or state.

"Credibility in immigration policy can be summed up in one sentence: Those who should get in, get in; those who should be kept out, are kept out; and those who should not be here will be required to leave."

"...for the system to be credible, people actually have to be deported at the end of the process."

US Congresswoman Barbara Jordan (D-TX)

Testimony to the House Immigration Subcommittee, February 24, 1995

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Does anyone know where to go, and what is required, in Russia to get an international driver's license....?
As far as I remember, Russian citizens when they apply for their driver's licenses are asked whether they want a regular Russian driver's license or an International one. Difference being cost of course. In Russia the place is abbreviated and well known to everyone as ГАИ (ГИБДД).

As for Americans seeking International Driver's Licenses, just about any website you google will ask for a copy of your state's license and a fee and will issue it with no problems.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I wouldn't recommend driving in Russia, personally. Just to give you an idea, half of the drivers in St. Petersburg surveyed admitted to bribing a traffic cop. If you really need to take a car somewhere, it's much better to just stop a car and pay the driver. We usually pay about 20r a kilometer, but I doubt that American men can get away with it. :)

Первый блин комом.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.