ikyang

Application for Naturalization

7 posts in this topic

I am eligible to apply for naturalization 3 years after being a permanent resident here in US because I am married to a US citizen.

and my question, what if 6 mos or more of that 3 years you live in a separate house because of work? like i want to live closer to my work because right now we live in a country close to his work and i drive about an hour to get to work...and he doesn't want to move..would that affect my naturalization?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I can't see why... you need to demonstrate 3 years of marriage to a USC.... I am not aware of any requirement to demosntrate conjugal living arrangements

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Depends if you declared the 2nd home as your residence or not. For example I work at a state college, and many students live in apartments near the campus, but their residence is still listed as their home away from the college.

From USCIS:

(iv) Involuntary Separation . When an applicant and spouse live apart as a result of circumstances beyond their control (i.e.) service in the military or essential business or occupational demands, the resulting separation, even if prolonged, will not preclude naturalization under this part. See 8 CFR section 319.1(b )(2)(ii)(C ). It is essential to determine whether the decision resulting in the separation, was driven by a true economic need or simply driven by a comfort level that the couple prefers. If the decision made was not drive n by a true economic need or required military service, the applicant applying under this section may not qualify.

• Example of involuntary separation: A husband and wife met while working towards PhDs at the University of California, Santa Barbara. The USC husband accepted a tenure track position at Hamilton College in Rome, New York. The LPR wife was offered a Post-Doctorate Fellowship at the Smithsonian. The husband and wife had been living apart for most of the three years. She had telephone bills, copies of e-mails to each other, stubs from some airline tickets from vacations and school breaks, and credible testimony that her husband sometimes drove back and forth on three or four day weekends. The adjudicator approved this case at the time of the examination for having qualified the separation as an involuntary separation.

http://www.uscis.gov/propub/ProPubVAP.jsp?...01f8beff6408132

OUR TIME LINE Please do a timeline it helps us all, thanks.

Is now a US Citizen immigration completed Jan 12, 2012.

1428954228.1592.1755425389.png

CHIN0001_zps9c01d045.gifCHIN0100_zps02549215.gifTAIW0001_zps9a9075f1.gifVIET0001_zps0a49d4a7.gif

Look here: A Candle for Love and China Family Visa Forums for Chinese/American relationship,

Visa issues, and lots of info about the Guangzhou and Hong Kong consulate.

I can't see why... you need to demonstrate 3 years of marriage to a USC.... I am not aware of any requirement to demosntrate conjugal living arrangements

There are definitely requirements to live together, per INA 319(a).

From The USCIS interpretations 319.1

The requirement that the petitioner live in marital union with the citizen spouse during the three-year period should be given a reasonably strict construction in order that it may lead to accomplishment of the objective of having the noncitizen spouse absorb basic concepts of citizenship through close association with the citizen spouse.

It has been held, however, that the residence in marital union, or at least a substantial portion thereof, must be in the United States, with the citizen spouse.

As YuAndDan pointed out, there's other language that says that a temporary separation for reasons outside the control of the couple or for essential business demands does NOT preclude naturalization, so I think aying may well be in the clear, but that does NOT mean there are no requirements whatsoever to live together in the same household.

Any time you live in separate households, you're starting to get into a grey area. I'm not sure if avoiding a one hour commute would constitute "true economic need" as the text quoted by YuAndDan says.

I'm certainly not qualified to weigh all the factors and give an answer here. I could imagine it being argued either way.

04 Apr, 2004: Got married

05 Apr, 2004: I-130 Sent to CSC

13 Apr, 2004: I-130 NOA 1

19 Apr, 2004: I-129F Sent to MSC

29 Apr, 2004: I-129F NOA 1

13 Aug, 2004: I-130 Approved by CSC

28 Dec, 2004: I-130 Case Complete at NVC

18 Jan, 2005: Got the visa approved in Caracas

22 Jan, 2005: Flew home together! CCS->MIA->SFO

25 May, 2005: I-129F finally approved! We won't pursue it.

8 June, 2006: Our baby girl is born!

24 Oct, 2006: Window for filing I-751 opens

25 Oct, 2006: I-751 mailed to CSC

18 Nov, 2006: I-751 NOA1 received from CSC

30 Nov, 2006: I-751 Biometrics taken

05 Apr, 2007: I-751 approved, card production ordered

23 Jan, 2008: N-400 sent to CSC via certified mail

19 Feb, 2008: N-400 Biometrics taken

27 Mar, 2008: Naturalization interview notice received (NOA2 for N-400)

30 May, 2008: Naturalization interview, passed the test!

17 June, 2008: Naturalization oath notice mailed

15 July, 2008: Naturalization oath ceremony!

16 July, 2008: Registered to vote and applied for US passport

26 July, 2008: US Passport arrived.

Filed: Timeline
I am eligible to apply for naturalization 3 years after being a permanent resident here in US because I am married to a US citizen.

and my question, what if 6 mos or more of that 3 years you live in a separate house because of work? like i want to live closer to my work because right now we live in a country close to his work and i drive about an hour to get to work...and he doesn't want to move..would that affect my naturalization?

It shouldn't if the reason for separate abodes is not a precursor to a divorce action, as in a legal separation.

"diaddie mermaid"

You can 'catch' me on here and on FBI.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

There will most likely be questions about why you live in seperate places. Many people have much longer commutes but still remain in the same household. If you were across the country it might seem more viable. You'll have to really demonstrate why you two are doing this to prove that you are still married and together. I was asked at my interview (even with photos, proof, documentation of us still living together) why my wife wasn't at the interview with me. So yes they very well most likely be questioning your situation...

I'm just a wanderer in the desert winds...

Timeline

Oct - Job offer in US

Nov - Received my TN-1 to be authorized to work in the US

Nov - Moved to US

1998-2001

Recieved 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th TN

May - Met future wife at arts fest

Nov - Recieved 6th TN

Nov - Recieved 7th TN

Jul - Our Wedding

Aug - Filed for AOS

Sep - Recieved EAD

Sep - Recieved Advanced Parole

Jan - Interview, accepted for Green Card

Feb - Green Card Arrived in mail

Oct - I-751 sent off

Jan - 10 year Green Card accepted

Mar - 10 year Green Card arrived

Oct - Filed N-400 for Naturalization

Nov - Biometrics done

Nov - Just recieved Naturalization Interview date for Jan.

Jan - Naturalization Interview Completed

Feb - Oath Letter recieved

Feb - Oath Ceremony

Feb 21 - Finally a US CITIZEN (yay)

THE END

thank you for all your replies guys....for now i am driving an hour one way to go to work. and he drives only 15 minutes... we are renting our house now so i keep on convincing him since we are renting we have a lot of options to meet at least half way. but he is not interested. I want to move close to my work to prove to him that i am very serious moving.

and yes, i know some people has longer commutes than me, so USCIS when i will apply for naturalization will question me on this. well, i have to think this over and over then.

thank you again guys.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.