Imua

Entry level IT/computer jobs for new immigrants?

23 posts in this topic

Oh man. Now I'm stressed. P is finishing his Master's in Computer Science now, working on his thesis in sonar signal mapping. I hope he can find a job....He's been working for his university for the past three years so he has some experience. Gah.

Pattu Rani...good luck!

With a Master's he should have little trouble finding work.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Denmark
Timeline

Just want to add that his chances of finding a job will also depend on which state you are planning to move to. Here in NC even U.S. Citizens with degrees are having a very hard time finding employment right now. So you can imagine what it's like for an immigrant.

Personally I have a Certificate in International Business and an Associates Degree in Financial Management. It took me almost 1 year to just get a job working the front desk of a hotel for 6.75 hr.

It seems employers try to steer clear of immigrants. If it's because they just don't want to be bothered or what I don't know. I'm just glad I didn't spend more time and money working on a bigger degree back home because they just don't recognize it over here.

Dec 19, 2006 - Married at the city hall in Denmark

Jan 05, 2007 - Filed I-130 at the US embassy in Copenhagen (Approved)

Jan 30, 2007 - Received e-mail from embassy, I-130 has to be re-approved in London, we both need to file G-325A

Jan 31, 2007 - G-325A sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 15, 2007 - OP-169, DS 230 I & II, I-864 sent to US embassy in Copenhagen

Feb 27, 2007 - US embassy Copenhagen, I-130 re-approved and back

Mar 03, 2007 - Receive packet 4 - interview date April 12th

Mar 06, 2007 - Call from embassy - interview date is now on March 8th

Mar 08, 2007 - Interview at embassy - Visa approved IF medical report is all clear

Mar 14, 2007 - Medical exam

Apr 07, 2007 - Visa packet received

Apr 17, 2007 - POE Newark Intl. Airport

Apr 23, 2007 - USCIS refuse to change my mailing address

May 07, 2007 - Re-file for SSN

May 10, 2007 - USCIS receive visa packet from Newark

May 11, 2007 - Gets SSN

May 19, 2007 - Receive SS card

Jul 10, 2007 - Receive letter from TSC: greencard returned by post office - will re-send (duh!!!)

Sep 17, 2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

Feb 01, 2008 - Gets NC License - DMV will only issues it until Apr 17 08 (expiration date on entry visa in passport) since greencard not in hand

Mar 06, 2008 - After 10 months and some change GC FINALLY in hand!!

Apr 17 - Present: USCIS has managed to switch my case # with some else, send my greencard to the wrong address and had to make 3 - yes 3 - service requests on sending out my card

Just want to add that his chances of finding a job will also depend on which state you are planning to move to. Here in NC even U.S. Citizens with degrees are having a very hard time finding employment right now. So you can imagine what it's like for an immigrant.

Personally I have a Certificate in International Business and an Associates Degree in Financial Management. It took me almost 1 year to just get a job working the front desk of a hotel for 6.75 hr.

It seems employers try to steer clear of immigrants. If it's because they just don't want to be bothered or what I don't know. I'm just glad I didn't spend more time and money working on a bigger degree back home because they just don't recognize it over here.

With the exception of a few specialized jobs, you need a bachelors or masters to really get anywhere. But you can probably use the credits from your previous degrees to take a shortcut to a bachelors.

keTiiDCjGVo

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline
I don't see how any time spent overseas in accredidation of any kind is a waste of time. It might not get you a job in the US, but it's training.

Better than sitting on your rear end all day doing nothing.

I agree 100%!! experience is never a waste of time. Get something US employers recognize and understand any maybe they might (with the right employer) take a look at past experience outside the US and any certifications thats there.

We all had to train/go to school/be an apprentice/get paid next to nothing to start off with. We all started somewhere or in the cases of some of us immigrants restarted somewhere in the US.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hi everybody, thanks for all the info that you have all offered on here. I wanted to offer some information that I received from a church member who works with a top University in Florida. She is also an immigrant who works in the HR dept and she offered that for those who have post secondary information to have their credentials evaluated with a reputable agency who can say how your education matches up. It's costly, but it may well worth it; here's one agency you can look into: North American Educational Group.

You can possibly ask someone at an employment agency if they have any information for a location in your area or even if you decide to look into a college in your area, an advisor might be able to advise you of an agency that does this type of work.

I-130 for husband - see TIMELINE

10/23/2007 - Receive SSC (took 9 days from POE)

12/04/2007 - Receive Welcome Letter

12/14/2007 - Received 2nd Welcome Letter and Green card!!!

======================================================

N-400

09/21/2010 - Mailed application to Lewisville TX location

09/23/2010 - Information input in the system/check cashed

09/29/2010 - N-400 receipt received

09/30/2010 - RFE mailed

10/15/2010 - Biometrics appt (@8am) YAY!!!!

11/20/2010 - Received the yellow letter (dated 11/17/2010)

11/30/2010 - Case moved to the Testing & Interview stage (Email)

12/03/2010 - Received interview letter

01/06/2011 - Interview @ 10:15a...APPROVED!

02/12/2011 - Received oath ceremony letter (dated 02/10/2011)

02/18/2011 - Received descheduled oath ceremony letter (dated 2/15/2011)

02/26/2011 - Received new oath ceremony letter

03/02/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p (IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!)

03/09/2011 - Oath Ceremony @ 1:30p...FINALLY A CITIZEN!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

I would get him signed up with a couple of the big staffing agencies as soon as he is eligible to work. I used TEKsystems and found their input to be invaluable in explaining my situation and experience to prospective employers and think that I'd still be looking for work if I was applying for jobs off my own back.

I had worked for IBM in the UK for 3.5 years in a pretty low-tech role which was totally unrelated to the job that I ended up getting through TEKsystems. While I agree that experience is beneficial, do not underestimate the value of a willingness to learn and an ability to learn fast. Certifications are all well and good but don't mean very much without real world experience to back them up.

Get a resume written up, get it out to some agencies and make sure they understand that although he might have a long list of certifications after his name or years and years of in job experience he is willing to work his way up using the skills he already has and is very open to gaining new skills as he goes along.

Best of luck

Mark :)

Our Full Timeline From K-1 Application through to Receiving my Green Card

Timeline Summary

11/30/2007 - I-751 Mailed to Nebraska

12/28/2007 - NOA Received (application has been forwarded to California)

01/09/2008 - Biometrics taken in St. Louis

03/27/2008 - I-751 Approved, 10 Yr Greencard in the mail !!

12/20/2016 - N-400 mailed to Phoenix lockbox

01/17/2017 - NOA Received

01/25/2017 - Attended biometrics in St. Louis

09/29/2017 - Received I-797C notice dated 09/27/17.  Interview Scheduled for November 6th @ 8am

11/06/2017 - N400 interview in St. Louis.  Approved !!:jest:

02/05/2018 - Notice of Oath Ceremony date received.  March 1st, 2018 @ 8.30am

"Though miles once lay between us, we were never far apart, for true love doesn't count the miles, it's measured by the heart"

Check out our website - "Our Journey Together"

View Our Online Photo Albums - "Mark and Debs' Webshots Albums"

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline
I would get him signed up with a couple of the big staffing agencies as soon as he is eligible to work. I used TEKsystems and found their input to be invaluable in explaining my situation and experience to prospective employers and think that I'd still be looking for work if I was applying for jobs off my own back.

I had worked for IBM in the UK for 3.5 years in a pretty low-tech role which was totally unrelated to the job that I ended up getting through TEKsystems. While I agree that experience is beneficial, do not underestimate the value of a willingness to learn and an ability to learn fast. Certifications are all well and good but don't mean very much without real world experience to back them up.

Get a resume written up, get it out to some agencies and make sure they understand that although he might have a long list of certifications after his name or years and years of in job experience he is willing to work his way up using the skills he already has and is very open to gaining new skills as he goes along.

Best of luck

Mark :)

I agree 100%. The last contract job I had was through Teksystems as well earning a very good salary and having very little problems with them. They also have courses that you can take with them to better your career path and they try to work with you as much as they can because again, in the end you getting a job through them means they get paid big bucks.

Diana

CR-1

02/05/07 - I-130 sent to NSC

05/03/07 - NOA2

05/10/07 - NVC receives petition, case # assigned

08/08/07 - Case Complete

09/27/07 - Interview, visa granted

10/02/07 - POE

11/16/07 - Received green card and Welcome to America letter in the mail

Removing Conditions

07/06/09 - I-751 sent to CSC

08/14/09 - Biometrics

09/27/09 - Approved

10/01/09 - Received 10 year green card

U.S. Citizenship

03/30/11 - N-400 sent via Priority Mail w/ delivery confirmation

05/12/11 - Biometrics

07/20/11 - Interview - passed

07/20/11 - Oath ceremony - same day as interview

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.