Kat And Russ

Can I have a vent....

96 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Hilary talked the talk on health care, she did not walk the walk.

If a Hospital has Federal funding it is required to provide Emergency care to all, obviously it has to be an Emergency and they are only obliged to do the minimum to get you out the door.

Still shaking my head that $10 an hour is considered a living wage, our monthly Health Cover would be a weeks wages.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could barely live on $10 on hour in Michigan 15 years ago (having to get health insurance independently takes out a huge chunk of change), I don't know how anyone could do it now unless they didn't have to pay for housing (living with parents/house paid off/etc).

90day.jpg

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline
but two people making $10/hr = $20/hr I think it's probably doable. can't be over the top with purchases but in certain parts of the country it is very livable

Wouldn't even cut it in Cincinnati, let alone a bigger city.

:thumbs:

I suppose it would do if one still lived at home with mom and dad and had no real responsibilities.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: Timeline
but two people making $10/hr = $20/hr I think it's probably doable. can't be over the top with purchases but in certain parts of the country it is very livable

I suppose it would do if one still lived at home with mom and dad and had no real responsibilities.

I was just making a general statement, and I clarified that it was related to HERE, where I live. Not that it's anyone's business, but both Mags and I make more than $10/hour, since it seems that some mistook my comment. I was merely saying - since the OP was feeling pretty crappy about the US (which I can understand) - that other parts of the country probably have a lower income than where she is, but the cost of living is much lower, too.

$20/hour here (2@$10/hour) for a normal week is very adequate. The average 2bd/2ba apartment is $500-$650/month. Housing is generally 25% of your income. There's your 25%.

I would suggest not talking so disgustedly about "only" making $10/hour....I'll bet there are more than a few people on VJ who are making that or less. Making comments about "living at home with mom and dad" and such is really uncalled for.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

I was just making a general statement, and I clarified that it was related to HERE, where I live. Not that it's anyone's business, but both Mags and I make more than $10/hour, since it seems that some mistook my comment. I was merely saying - since the OP was feeling pretty crappy about the US (which I can understand) - that other parts of the country probably have a lower income than where she is, but the cost of living is much lower, too.

$20/hour here (2@$10/hour) for a normal week is very adequate. The average 2bd/2ba apartment is $500-$650/month. Housing is generally 25% of your income. There's your 25%.

I would suggest not talking so disgustedly about "only" making $10/hour....I'll bet there are more than a few people on VJ who are making that or less. Making comments about "living at home with mom and dad" and such is really uncalled for.

If someone lives at home, their cost of living is nil so it does factor in to it.

And no one said "only" $10/hour. :no:

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Completely relevant to the topic and the cost of living.

Don't just open your mouth and prove yourself a fool....put it in writing.

It gets harder the more you know. Because the more you find out, the uglier everything seems.

kodasmall3.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I sometimes do not make $10 an hour, can you survive on it, many do, people I work with, can you live on it, no.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Live in FL and that's about half of my rent payment...and my apt. complex is considered average...

Dawn

Our journey to be together (work in progress)

March 2007 - Met online

1/28/08 - Sent I-129F to VSC

5/13/08 - Visa in hand!!!

7/7/08 - POE

7/11/08 - legal wedding

7/20/08 - AOS/EAD/AP sent to Chicago Lockbox

11/18/08 - AOS approved!!!

11/25/08 - Received welcome letter...and Green Card!!!

12/21/08 - ceremonial wedding

10/9/10 - Sent I-751 and started the fresh hell that is ROC

10/14/10 - NOA1 for ROC

10/29/10 - received appointment for Biometrics

11/22/10 - Biometrics appointment

Currently: Living blissfully with my Essex lad...

Wow, accomodation is really cheap where Rocinante lives ..... in Atlanta, for a 2bd/2ba apartment around that price, I'd need bars on my windows, armed guards, and a bullet proof car :lol:

I couldn't even find apartments for that price in Seattle and Las Vegas back in the 90's.

So, the low down is ...... in Indiana, overwieght people can get health insurance ..... and you can survive on $10 an hour ...... maybe we should all move to where Rocinante lives??? ..... could be cozy B)

...... by the way, I'm having a laugh .... I'm not being mean, ok? .... so, no chewing my head off this time.

Housing would cost 23% less if you move to Indiana....

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costoflivin...p;x=41&y=10

Indiana -> LA:

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costoflivin...mp;x=49&y=8

So much for those cheap groceries we californians get! :lol:

Salary in Terre Haute IN:

$20,800

Comparable salary in Los Angeles-Long Beach CA:

$35,121.76

If you move from Terre Haute IN to Los Angeles-Long Beach CA...

Groceries will cost: 35.336% more

Housing will cost: 219.155% more

Edited by illumine

Is the "overweight thing" specific to Florida? I've never heard of anyone in Indiana being turned down for health insurance because they were overweight....

I've had insurance at various times, and according to the charts, I'm almost 100 pounds overweight.

She is probably looking into individual health insurance. There are different guidelines for individual or small groups than for large companies. Im from IN too, mostly likely she would be rated up not refused insurance.

OurTimeline

11/18/2007--------I-129F Petition mailed to CSC

11/29/2007--------NOA1

04/02/2008 --------NOA2 Approved (On my B-Day)

05/08/2008---------Forwarded to ISL

05/12/2008---------Consulate Received

05/22/2008---------Packet 3.5 Received by my Fiance

06/06/2008---------Packet 3.5 Returned to Embassy

06/19/2008---------Recieved Packet 4

06/25/2008---------Medical

07/08/2008---------Interview

03/06/2009---------Visa in Hand

03/23/2009---------POE Chicago

03/24/2009---------Marriage

08/05/2009---------GC in Mail

09/13/2009---------First Job in US

Naturalization

01/28/15------------mailed packet to USIS

02/06/15-------------NOA

02/27/15-------------Biometrics Appt.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.