Kat And Russ

Can I have a vent....

96 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
Hi,

My name is Sarah, and I couldn't help but read your posting, and it really touched my heart ..... and brought back many yukky memories of my own from when I used to live in the US many years ago.

Firstly, please don't worry about what negative stuff other people may say to you concerning your feelings about how hard America is ..... many of them (not all) will learn the brutal truth on their own when they get there ....first hand .... just like I did 14 years ago ..... just like my parents before me ..... just like you are now.

My parents infact used to work in England at one point, for some of the year, and benefit from the similar diabolical conversion rate to what we have now, when they returned .... it's the 80's all over again :yes:

When I lived there as an adult before, some places in the US didn't even accept an British university degree; it had to go through some conversion system which took ages in New York. In the meantime you would work a crappy job for a minimum wage (I think it's $5 an hour or there abouts now) so you just put basic food on the table.

However, I'm sure that's changed now.

And we Brits complain about our long working hours and low pay .... ha, most don't have a clue!!!! Working in the States will turn you into a proverbial machine ..... and if you return to England with the same work ethic .... you get to the top .... QUICKLY!!! I did!

They really work hard!

My negative memories of America back then were ..... you had to work your a*s off just to make ends meet ... I had many strange jobs while trying to prepare for my new state exams in a subject I was already highly trained and experienced in. And when I moved to another state, I had to do it all over again.

Then the medical insurance subject, which you have brought up ..... that was totally awful!!! ..... I actually brought a letter from my doctor in England, therefore I could get some form of coverage. I don't think that people are aware that real sickness in America, without proper coverage can put you on the streets. I mean HOMELESS!!!!

We may all knock the NHS, but at least you know you'll get treated without a bill for thousands of dollars.

And yes, the US insurance companies policies are really quite alien to us at times, but you will find a way.

At least MRSA isn't such a problem there.

I grew up in Florida as a kid for a while back in the 80's, where my Mum worked as a nurse .... she was horrified to see people who were dying from gun wounds ..... heart attacks ..... and ladies just about to give birth .... were turned away for not having insurance ..... they would have more than likely died. My Mum did the best she could to help.

However, there are free hospitals ..... but few and far between, I would certainly try to locate one as close to you as possible. People may knock Hilary Clinton, but I remember when she tried to change that particular part of the medical system all those years ago when her Husband was President. So there are some states or areas now that will treat you first and bill you later.

Sure, to a lot of people, they think that going to America means a fabulous way of life .... immediately .... and yes, if you're coming from a 3rd world country .... living on the minimum wage, in a run down apartment block, where people die from drive by shootings ..... may be fine to you. But to those coming from countries which are not like that, find it difficult.

Unless you're from Leicester ha ha ..... joke.

Just like the Eastern Block people who come to England thinking that the money they make fom daffodil picking in Cornwall is the equivalent to a fortune back in whatever place they came from. Yet, only students and the unemployed Brits would ever dream of doing such a menial job.

The poverty guidelines given with the Affidavit of Support are no way a reflection of what you'll really need to live on in a lot of places in America ..... to the standard which some of us Brits are used to ..... they are just that ..... poverty guidelines.

Let's not forget that the cost of petrol there is also creeping up ..... it may not be as high as England, but it certainly isn't the 90 cents a gallon it used to be.

Yes, living in America may seem great to those who have never been ..... just look at Baywatch and Friends ..... how cool .... but they forget to tell you, that you will be lucky to get 10 days paid holiday a year with a lot of jobs ..... if you don't sort out your medical insurance, you'd better NOT get sick ...... and the cost of living is not as cheap as you think in some places .... especially parts of Florida.

This time I'm prepared ..... I'm sorting out my education transcripts already ..... and getting ready for my state exams for when I get there.

I love America, don't get me wrong ..... there are many amazing things about America, and I have a lot of loyalty to the country .... I've spent a huge amount of my life there, and growing up in America gave me many skills which enabled me to flourish beyond my wildest dreams when back in the U.K. ..... the education I received at school there was incredible ..... I would definately choose an American school over an English school ...... the teachers I had there actually cared ... and taught me that I could be whatever I wanted to be, I just had had to want it bad enough.

Whereas most schools I attended in England only showed me that unless I was the cream of the crop ..... I was simply a 'nothing'. Confidence is not something I was used to having built in the UK ..... that came from my parents ..... but most of all my American schools. I cannot praise the teachers there highly enough.

Both sides of the Atlantic have their plus points, and their negative points. And even though we speak the same language ..... at times it's as if you're living in Timbuktu ..... you will get used it, I promise.

I too will need to get used to it all over again ..... but I love my Husband sooo much, that I'm happy to return to the US to be with him, and go through the transition again.

My advise at this stage would be to look at what jobs pay good money and check out how to qualify for them ..... community college is cheap in some places ..... and you'll get a great confidence boost from the teachers, they really are helpful.

Don't give up ..... I know it's difficult ..... but, like you said, you fought so hard to get there to be with your Man. There's always a way.

Big hug,

Sarah xx

p.s. I see you're in Florida, I'm going to be in Atlanta for a year when I get there and then we're planning to move to Florida afterwards. I guess life just runs full circle sometimes ;) .... And by the way Rocinante, please don't compare Florida to Indiana .... each state can be like a different country sometimes, I've lived in quite a few.

it's against the law for hospitals to turn people away if they don't have insurance!!!!

also, he wasn't comparing Indiana and Florida at all he was saying here $10/hr is comfortable but there it may not be.

from your post it doesn't really sound like you like the US as much as you say you do. #######?

Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amber& Neil...i think that is a tad harsh....kipandsarahjayne were simply posting their experiences and feelings on the matter ...which i understand, is legitimate debate and seems to have given the OP a positive aspect despite everything. We all have different experiences and what may seem to "connect" with one person will be something someone else cannot relate to, it does not lessen its value.

I think there is some valid points in the post - like many we choose to move to US to be with our SO, but there are some hardships and concerns that come with it for most of us....this forum allows us to share them, and offer solutions in some cases, sounds like you dont like criticism? even if it is valid?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Well, I too was put off with Sarah's unnecessary 'zinger' to Rocinante. It left a very distateful color to the rest of her post.

-Samby

Edited by TinTin and Samby

Wishing Everyone Speed, Success, Happiness and Love,

TinTin and Samby

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline
Is the "overweight thing" specific to Florida? I've never heard of anyone in Indiana being turned down for health insurance because they were overweight....

I've had insurance at various times, and according to the charts, I'm almost 100 pounds overweight.

The weight thing happened to me a few years ago. I had all the insurance info filled out and ready to go, then she asked me how much I weighted and when I told her she said "oh, you have to be XXX about of weight or less! :blink: Which, at the time I was 5 pounds away from that weight! Seems there is always a reason to not insure someone around here either because of weight or medical conditions.

Maybe it's a Florida thing because I have been told by every insurance company that i am over weight.

I have tried Aetna and they sent me a letter, after that I have not applied fully just called and asked and they say becaus eof height weight ratio I would be denied.... maybe I should just try applying....

I searched for quite a while, but couldn't find anything online about the legality of denying insurance based on weight or BMI in Florida. In fact, about the only useful thing I DID find, was this: http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/HealthPlans/Default.aspx

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Ok, I just found some info...

Some common reasons for declination/deferrals of coverage

* currently pregnant or an expecting father

* multiple medications especially brand name

* recent (last 6 months including physical therapy) injury

* recent (last 2-3 years) treatment for heart disease, diabetes, cancer, immune system disorders, or any other serious medical condition

* height/weight outside guideline range

* multiple conditions/injuries/illnesses

* Health problems for which you have not seen a doctor;

* Health problems that a doctor cannot explain;

* Health problems for which you have not completed treatment.

An insurance company may also automatically deny your application for the health conditions below. There may be other health conditions that are not on this list.

* AIDS;

* Pregnancy, pregnancy of your spouse or significant other, planned surrogacy or adoption in process;

* Cancer, under treatment;

* Sleep Apnea;

* Severe mental disorders, such as major depression, bipolar disorder, schizophrenia or psychopathic personalities;

* Heart disease;

* Renal failure or Kidney Dialysis;

* Diabetes with complications;

* Cirrhosis;

* Multiple Sclerosis;

* Muscular Dystrophy;

* Systemic Lupus Erythematous;

* History of transplant;

* Lymphedema;

* Current infertility treatment;

* Hepatitis;

* Hemochromatosis.

http://www.florida-health-quotes.com/flori...-insurance.html

So....how DO people get insurance then?

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

May I point out that this is just a blanket reply to those that seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.

Firstly I'm pleased to hear that it is now illegal to turn people away from a hospital for not having insurance ..... I was living there in the 90's when that started happening ..... all thanks to Hilary Clinton at the time. I remember it well, and it only started in a few states.

Previous to that, this was not the case, in the 80's, turning people away for not having insurance is exactly what they DID do. My Mum worked in hospitals there.

Secondly, I appologise if you all think I was harsh to the guy in Indiana, but I didn't give him a 'zinger' he was just not very understanding to Kat about the medical insurance situation (read all of his posts .... he was quite mean).

I was just pointing out that things can be quite different from state to state, as a lot of people don't realise. And that basically you cannot just presume what the policies are in your state, are the same in all the others. There are a lot of systems that differ from state to state.

Thirdly, I agree that in some places $10 an hour is a comfortable wage, but as I've just said, there are differences from state to state. Plus, there's also the point, that some people have difficulty in finding those $10 an hour jobs. It all depends on where they find themselves.

We cannot judge others, that may end up only finding a job with the minimum wage .... and if your rent is $800 a month (as it will be in parts of Florida), it's not going to work. Hence mentioning the run down apartment blocks .... cos that's where you'll end up.

No different to England ..... if you can't earn a decent wage, you can't live in a decent area, period.

I've noticed that there are a couple of posts around the site where people are finding it hard to find a job at all. There is always someone who is worse off than you, and we can never forget that.

All I did was agree that it can be hard at times, both countries have their plus points and negative points .... as ALL countries do. I could list a ton of stuff that sucks about the UK too.

Kat was just asking for help in her post .... and was afraid that her words would make people hate her, yet she shouldn't have to worry about that, the girl is having a hard time .... can't we just offer a little bit of understanding ? ..... marriage is hard enough at times, without added outside pressures.

At the end of the day, there are many different issues we all face, whether it be homesickness ..... unable to get health insurance .... cockroaches the size of tonker trucks ..... to just missing our favourite brand of tea.

We are all different ..... but we all do what we do, cos we love our soulmates.

May I point out that this is just a blanket reply to those that seem to have got the wrong end of the stick.

Firstly I'm pleased to hear that it is now illegal to turn people away from a hospital for not having insurance ..... I was living there in the 90's when that started happening ..... all thanks to Hilary Clinton at the time. I remember it well, and it only started in a few states.

Previous to that, this was not the case, in the 80's, turning people away for not having insurance is exactly what they DID do. My Mum worked in hospitals there.

Secondly, I appologise if you all think I was harsh to the guy in Indiana, but I didn't give him a 'zinger' he was just not very understanding to Kat about the medical insurance situation (read all of his posts .... he was quite mean).

I was just pointing out that things can be quite different from state to state, as a lot of people don't realise. And that basically you cannot just presume what the policies are in your state, are the same in all the others. There are a lot of systems that differ from state to state.

Thirdly, I agree that in some places $10 an hour is a comfortable wage, but as I've just said, there are differences from state to state. Plus, there's also the point, that some people have difficulty in finding those $10 an hour jobs. It all depends on where they find themselves.

We cannot judge others, that may end up only finding a job with the minimum wage .... and if your rent is $800 a month (as it will be in parts of Florida), it's not going to work. Hence mentioning the run down apartment blocks .... cos that's where you'll end up.

No different to England ..... if you can't earn a decent wage, you can't live in a decent area, period.

I've noticed that there are a couple of posts around the site where people are finding it hard to find a job at all. There is always someone who is worse off than you, and we can never forget that.

All I did was agree that it can be hard at times, both countries have their plus points and negative points .... as ALL countries do. I could list a ton of stuff that sucks about the UK too.

Kat was just asking for help in her post .... and was afraid that her words would make people hate her, yet she shouldn't have to worry about that, the girl is having a hard time .... can't we just offer a little bit of understanding ? ..... marriage is hard enough at times, without added outside pressures.

At the end of the day, there are many different issues we all face, whether it be homesickness ..... unable to get health insurance .... cockroaches the size of tonker trucks ..... to just missing our favourite brand of tea.

#######????

I was "mean"!? For trying to help her out? You have issues. NO where was I in any way mean. I was trying to understand how she could be turned down for insurance due to being slightly overweight. I'd never heard of that happening.

And what's this ####### about Hillary Clinton? Public hospitals have NEVER been able to turn away people without insurance that I am aware of. Hillary didn't have a damn thing to do with that.

Maybe it's a Florida thing because I have been told by every insurance company that i am over weight.

I have tried Aetna and they sent me a letter, after that I have not applied fully just called and asked and they say becaus eof height weight ratio I would be denied.... maybe I should just try applying....

I searched for quite a while, but couldn't find anything online about the legality of denying insurance based on weight or BMI in Florida. In fact, about the only useful thing I DID find, was this: http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/HealthPlans/Default.aspx

That is really great of you to have tried to look at Helping Kat .... and I'm sorry if I sounded as though I was being horrid to you, it wasn't meant in that way. I too thought you were coming off as mean, as others thought I was to you. Maybe I should use the emoticons more :huh:

Yes, things are different in Florida .... and I have no idea how she can get insurance at this stage .... this is a very worrying thought. And yes, it does seem strange, in a country where there are more larger people per capita than anywhere else.

But as you can see, the weight is an issue. :wacko:

#######????

I was "mean"!? For trying to help her out? You have issues. NO where was I in any way mean. I was trying to understand how she could be turned down for insurance due to being slightly overweight. I'd never heard of that happening.

And what's this ####### about Hillary Clinton? Public hospitals have NEVER been able to turn away people without insurance that I am aware of. Hillary didn't have a damn thing to do with that.

You can obviously type faster than me :)

There are no issues, just a misunderstanding, which I've appologised for.

And yes, they did used to turn people down for not having insurance .... I even remember a time where I was taken into hospital there back in 1982 after a fall at school, and they wouldn't touch me until my parents proved they had insurance.

Things are different now, thank goodness.

Yes, back in the 90's when Bill Clinton was in office, Hilary started to turn that around, she did quite a lot from what I remember, even though she was only the 1st lady. It was all over the news .... I lived in Seattle at the time.

It only started in a few states back then.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Ooh this got heated!

I am very early in the process but ni'll be moving to Florida..and i'm overweight. My fiance has very good health cover so i wonder if i'll be able to get added to it?

As for minimum wage - well, he has an excellent job so i suppose I wont have to worry, but I WILL work, and if that means bar work or waitressing then so be it......

I love this site. It's so full of useful info!

5th February 2008 - I-129F forms sent for K1 visa (VSC)

26th March 2008 - NOA2 recieved via email

19th May 2008 - Interview............APPROVED!!!!!!

21st May 2008 - Visa in hand

29th July 2008 - POE

2nd September 2008 - Married

19th September - Mailed AOS/EAD/AP to Chicago lockbox

25th September - Check cashed $1010.00 (OUCH!!)

29th September - Received NOA's for AOS/EAD/AP

13th October - AOS Petition transferred to CSC!!!

17th October - Biometrics (Tampa Office)

17th October - AOS/EAD Touched

20th October - AOS Touched

21st October - AOS Touched

6th November - AOS/EAD/AP Touched (probably due to change of address)

10th December - EAD approved

28th January 2009 - GC approved without interview. Done with all this till 2011!!!!!!!!

#######????

Ah ..... now I know why you jumped down my throat about Hilary Clinton sorting out the hospitals back in the 90's .... you're looking at her from a political angle at the moment .... I was just mentioning what happened back then. It's amazing how so many things get forgotten over the years.

Politics is really something I don't want to get into ..... :whistle:

Hi there,

I have a few questions/suggestions.

Firstly: has your American spouse considered applying for a government job? By that I mean state or federal? The benefits with the Federal govt are pretty darn good, and you better believe there are a lot of jobs to be had.

Secondly: Are there any universities near where you live? If so, I would strongly urge you to try and get a job doing just about anything at one of them because their benefits also tend to be rather good.

When I first got my work authorization I made a bee line for the best university in the area and got an entry level job with them. It was great, I got pretty darn decent health and tuition benefits, and once you are in the system it's quite simple to move up the levels.

One other poster mentioned having to get foreign degrees analyzed, and this is true, but it doesn't take that long (look on an good university website for links and details of which companies they recommend). They can do the same thing for your GCSE's and A-Levels.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.