Kat And Russ

Can I have a vent....

96 posts in this topic

There is another show on BBC America, forget the name, the Presenter does basically the same thing in 30 minutes. One trick she has is that she gets details of their last weeks food intake and puts it out on the dining room table.....

You Are What You Eat - that show scares me, especially when she brings out the poo.

On a side note, I think some people get caught up in the "streets are paved with gold" line of thinking that many believe their quality of life will improve when they hit stateside with bigger houses and cars and more stuff. Maybe it is true if one moves from the southeast of england to parts of the Midwest and South but this is not always so and very dependent on where in the US people move to. Some places it is very hard to survive on a low salary, especially without the social safety net that the UK offers via the NHS, cheaper university fees, etc. Suggesting there are other parts of the US they should move to seems silly when they probably wouldn't be here in the first place if it weren't for circumstances bringing them to their current location.

90day.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I have a suggestion. It is possible that some of the city colleges and universities in Florida offer a group health insurance plan. I had to enroll in this several years ago (in CA) when I was attending a local college because I am considered uninsurable for private health insurance due to a neurological condition. I was denied by every insurance company around, but the group health through the school took me. I cannot remember the name of the company that offered the policy but they allowed payment per semester or for the year. It was basic health but it was insurance. I am not sure if such a plan is still available but it might be worth looking into. I am not sure if you would have to be full-time student or if part-time is acceptable though. I am sorry, I do not recall if you said how long you were in Florida but also something to bear in mind is the residency requirements to avoid paying out of country tuition. For a local city college here, my spouse needed to be a resident of the state of California for a year to avoid the out of country fees. His first semester, he missed that requirement by a week and we had to pay over $650 for one class. I took the same class for $60.

Hope this helps,

squidge

Judge Judy rules!

Filed: Timeline
but two people making $10/hr = $20/hr I think it's probably doable. can't be over the top with purchases but in certain parts of the country it is very livable

Wouldn't even cut it in Cincinnati, let alone a bigger city.

:thumbs:

I suppose it would do if one still lived at home with mom and dad and had no real responsibilities.

I was just making a general statement, and I clarified that it was related to HERE, where I live. Not that it's anyone's business, but both Mags and I make more than $10/hour, since it seems that some mistook my comment. I was merely saying - since the OP was feeling pretty crappy about the US (which I can understand) - that other parts of the country probably have a lower income than where she is, butthe cost of living is much lower, too.

$20/hour here (2@$10/hour) for a normal week is very adequate. The average 2bd/2ba apartment is $500-$650/month. Housing is generally 25% of your income. There's your 25%.

I would suggest not talking so disgustedly about "only" making $10/hour....I'll bet there are more than a few people on VJ who are making that or less. Making comments about "living at home with mom and dad" and such is really uncalled for.

Wow, accomodation is really cheap where Rocinante lives ..... in Atlanta, for a 2bd/2ba apartment around that price, I'd need bars on my windows, armed guards, and a bullet proof car :lol:

I couldn't even find apartments for that price in Seattle and Las Vegas back in the 90's.

So, the low down is ...... in Indiana, overwieght people can get health insurance ..... and you can survive on $10 an hour ...... maybe we should all move to where Rocinante lives??? ..... could be cozy B)

...... by the way, I'm having a laugh .... I'm not being mean, ok? .... so, no chewing my head off this time.

are you and illumine friends? if not, you should be! you can be miserable and negative together!

Wow. Do I judge you? :no::wacko:

I cannot believe this is turning into a B**ch Fest ..... it's like being back at school again.

Most of us live where we live due to commitments .... yet it seems that's not being taken into consideration by the look of some postings .....

We're supposed to be helping Kat get health insurance ..... not squabble over who makes what or who eats what .... or be mean because some are living in more economical areas.

Try putting yourself into Kat's shoes for 5 minutes ..... I know those shoes are not a comfy fit.

The girl's probably exhausted from working her tail off all day ..... does she need to come back to her posting to read some of the comments written here ???? ..... I don't think so.

So ..... back to the point ..... Florida .... health insurance ..... slightly over weight by some silly guideline to get insurance ..... and limited funds.

It's a conundrum, let's brainstorm!! :thumbs:

I cannot believe this is turning into a B**ch Fest ..... it's like being back at school again.

Most of us live where we live due to commitments .... yet it seems that's not being taken into consideration by the look of some postings .....

We're supposed to be helping Kat get health insurance ..... not squabble over who makes what or who eats what .... or be mean because some are living in more economical areas.

Try putting yourself into Kat's shoes for 5 minutes ..... I know those shoes are not a comfy fit.

The girl's probably exhausted from working her tail off all day ..... does she need to come back to her posting to read some of the comments written here ???? ..... I don't think so.

So ..... back to the point ..... Florida .... health insurance ..... slightly over weight by some silly guideline to get insurance ..... and limited funds.

It's a conundrum, let's brainstorm!! :thumbs:

I've contributed (withOUT being mean) all that I can. I posted some links to Florida insurance guidelines that show that they can apparently discriminate all they want there. I think most of her options have already been covered.... change jobs, get associated with a university somehow, or just do without insurance for now, and work on getting within their silly weight guidelines. The only other thing I can think of is researching state programs. Indiana has some, so I would think that Florida would too.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

I know exactly how the OP feels. Believe me, you don't need to be new to the US to be in that situation. Half of Americans are already in it. America is the land of opportunity, and that opportunity isn't there for everyone. I have my big fancy college degree, yet am still unable to get a job that will support me and my two kids above the poverty line in NEW JERSEY, the most expensive state in the country. There are just no jobs out there. Trust me, I've looked. Did I mention I am going to lose my house this afternoon? Selling it and the closing in today. Not making a single dime, feel luck to not be owing any money. I get to stay in the house and rent it, but that won't last long. Two-bedroom apartments cost $1200-1400 here. I make $9.50/hr. and receive $700 in child support . And I can't leave New Jersey because of the way the custody agreement reads (fyi: I am divorced after 16 years from an abusive man who actually tried TO KILL ME and whose parents are extremely well-off and paid over $250,000 for his lawyers, while I paid $15,000, which was every cent I had. Needless to say, I got screwed in the settlement.). I'm just trying to survive and hold on until my fiance gets here and gets working, and we can start a new life. And before you ask, thankfully we do have a sponsor.

1. I have no idea how anyone affords to purchase health insurance on their own. I just elected not to enroll in COBRA, which would have cost $800 a month! Therefore I have none. Luckily my kids are covered through their father, and I am eligible for benefits at work next month. The 'joke' people like to say is that if you break your leg or something, go jump in your car and drive it into a tree, because then your car insurance will pay for the hospital bill.

3. Speaking of hospitals, yes it is against the law for a hospital to deny your treatment and turn you away. But it is not against the law for them to bill you. That hospital bill will go into collection and follow you on your credit report until you pay it off. Of course if your are a homeless person off the street you could care less about your credit report. The rest of us have ID that will be entered into the system and we will be billed regardless of our ability to pay.

2. I know you love your current boss and job, but maybe you need to make the sacrifice and look for a job that does provide coverage. Even if the pay is the same, you'll be making $300 or so more a month by not paying for insurance on your own. Two companies that provide health and other benefits to even part-time empoyees are Target (minimum hours worked per week is 27) and Starbucks (22). You are eligible for benefits after the first six months. Unfortunately the American health care system is set up to assume everyone can get insurance through their employer, and therefore will be covered. Sadly not the case at all anymore.

3. I too would move to England if I could, but that would mean surrendering custody of my children to my absive ex, and I could never live with that. Neither could my fiance. He is more than willing to make the sacrifices to make sure those kids are raised with us, in a safe and loving (albeit not wealthy) environment. My ex won't even allow my kids to get passports for fear I'd run with them. What a creep.

So yeah, hang in there and do what you have to do to make it work for your family. I keep telling myself that it will all be okay and all work out in the end. :)

12-18-06 Began investigating K1 process<3

--------------------

01-10-08 K-1 PETITION SUBMITTED

07-18-08 INTERVIEW... APPROVED!!! (190 long days)

09-02-08 MARRIED <3

--------------------

04-07-09 AOS APPROVED (196 days)

--------------------

07-21-11 ROC APPROVED

--------------------

09-13-13 N-400 NATURALIZATION PETITION FINALLY SUBMITTED

10-23-13 IN LINE FOR INTERVIEW

01-11-14 RECEIVED INTERVIEW LETTER

02-10-14 INTERVIEW DATE & OATH DONE... US CITIZEN!!!

Here's the link for applying for State Government jobs: https://peoplefirst.myflorida.com/logon.htm

You should also contact the state government for information on health insurance ideas.

Which part of Florida do you live in? Based on that info we can see which universities might be good for you to take a look at. I can't recommend them more highly - especially the ones that give tuition benefits because that can only help you with your career. I have no idea what your skill set is, but you should be able to figure out something you'd be interested in. The bigger the school generally the better (though of course that's not true in all cases) because they can negotiate for even better medical insurance deals.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

http://www.bbcamerica.com/content/273/index.jsp

You are what you eat. Thanks.

My wife has it on the DVR and makes me watch it when I slip.

The solution is to lose weight so you can get insured, there are so many benefits apart from insurance.

There are many many reasons why people can find themselves in this position, I am not going to go there on this thread.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Country: England
Timeline
Apparently I have to be between 97-171pounds at 5ft2 to qualify.

something seems off with this because 171 lbs at 5'2'' is about 50 pounds overweight (on a small frame), so it's not like you can't be overweight to get insurance.

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

something seems off with this because 171 lbs at 5'2'' is about 50 pounds overweight (on a small frame), so it's not like you can't be overweight to get insurance.

I'm guessing it's a typo, and was supposed to be 97-117....

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. ####### coated bastards with ####### filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bobble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Filed: Country: England
Timeline

I'm guessing it's a typo, and was supposed to be 97-117....

well, I HAD thought of that too....

Co-Founder of VJ Fluffy Kitty Posse -

31 Dec 2003 MARRIED
26 Jan 2004 Filed I130; 23 May 2005 Received Visa
30 Jun 2005 Arrived at Chicago POE
02 Apr 2007 Filed I751; 22 May 2008 Received 10-yr green card
14 Jul 2012 Citizenship Oath Ceremony

Damn! Here's me thinking I was WELL within the guidelines. :angry::lol:

iagree.gif

Met Life table of ht & wt

5' 2"

small frame:

108-121

Med frame:

118-132

Large frame:

128-143

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.