sweetpink

church wedding after divorce

8 posts in this topic

Does Catholic church allows you to receive the sacrament of holy matrimony even if you're divorced from a previous marriage?

bunbunard20090713_-6_ETHAN.png

I-751 Lifting Conditions Timeline

April 06, 2010 - mailed I-751 documents via usps express mail(overnight)with delivery confirmation

April 07, 2010 - packet delivered and signed

April 12, 2010 - check was cashed

April 13, 2010 - received NOA1 (dated 04/08/10)

May 07, 2010 - Biometrics

May 10, 2010 - Touched

June 23, 2010 - APPROVED WITHOUT INTERVIEW!!!

DSC00770.jpg

Does Catholic church allows you to receive the sacrament of holy matrimony even if you're divorced from a previous marriage?

To marry in the Catholic church you need to either never have been married before or have your previous marriage annulled. The church does not accept divorce.

Edit to add: it is possible to get an annullment later and have your marriage blessed by the catholic church once it arrives. My husband was going to do this with his ex wife but when her annullment arrived the marriage was already in trouble so neither of them wanted to make it more binding.

Edited by Oosie

Who has previous marriage? Ur fiancee? Where? If in US and he has divorce decree already, of course he can receive the Holy Sacrament of Matrimony.

The Catholic Church especially in the Philippines allowed the couple to be united as long as you both undergo the seminars required. There are requirement that need to be submitted to them. Like Divorce Decree or Annulment. Birth Certificate. Legal Capacity to Contact Marriage (from USEM). If you have NO previous marriage, u need to submit CENOMAR from NSO.

Edited by Jim and Heidi

AOS

April 7, 2008 Sent AOS Package to Chicago Lockbox

April 14, 2008 Received NOA1

April 17, 2008 Case Touched

April 21, 2008 Received Appointment Letter for Biometrics

May 08, 2008 Biometrics Appointment (Sta. Clara, CA) 9am

May 09, 2008 Touched

May 29, 2008 Repeat Fingerprint (FBI cant produce my fingerprints card)

June 9, 2008 Card production ordered for EAD.

June 15, 2008 Receive AP in mail.

June 17, 2008 Approval Notice Sent. EAD

June 18, 2008 EAD received in mail.

Apply for SSN.

June 19, 2008 Applied for California ID

June 21, 2008 Received interview letter for Adjustment of status.

July 30, 2008 Interview in Sacramento @ 10:15am, Wednesday.

August 4, 2008 Card ordered production.

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

May 9, 2010 Sent package to CSC

May 13, 2010 Received NOA1 (containing the notice of 1 year extension of residency)

July 29, 2010 Received BIOMETRICS Letter for AUGUST 20 Appointment (After 83 days from filling I-751)

Aug 20, 2010 Went to scheduled biometrics but unfortunately the USCIS system doesn't accept my fingerprints.

Sept 20, 2010 Repeat Fingerprints.

Sept 24, 2010 Card ordered production.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

As a general rule I always knew that if you're divorced you cannot remarry in a catholic church, then again I am no expert on the subect so I googled it and found this page which is specific about second marriages etc. Esp this part interests you (there is more on the page though so I suggest you click the link).

Q. I’m a divorced Catholic; can I be married in the Catholic church? Do I need a Christian marriage annulment? What are the annulment laws?

A. Although the answer depends on the specifics of your situation, if you are Catholic, or plan to marry in a Catholic church, you likely will need to have your first marriage declared null. Depending on where you were married and whether you and/or your ex-spouse were baptized, the matter might be resolved rather simply, or it might take more examination and work.

As you prepare for your upcoming second wedding, you have probably given a great deal of thought to the sacredness of marriage. It is that sacredness that the Church’s marriage policy strives to protect. But while the Church believes that a valid marriage cannot be dissolved except through death, it also recognizes that what appears to be a valid marriage is not always so.

The Roman Catholic Church considers a marriage valid when:

• It is celebrated in a ceremony according to Church law;
  • Both parties are free to marry each other;
  • Each partner intends, from the beginning of the marriage, to accept God's plan for married life as taught by the Church;
  • Each partner has the physical and psychological ability to live out the consent and commitment initially given to the marriage.
If any of these requirements are lacking from the beginning of the marriage, then the Tribunal, acting as the bishop's representative, can declare that marriage invalid.

Please note that children of an annulled marriage are still considered legitimate! A civil marriage did exist and the assumption of a Catholic marriage did exist. The marriage was consummated in good will; therefore children of the marriage always remain legitimate, even if at a later time that marriage is annulled.

We urge you to contact your pastor or a Church pastoral minister and investigate whether your previous marriage might be declared null. You should also educate yourself about the annulment process, annulment law and policies.

Q. What are the grounds for annulment in the Catholic Church?

Most annulments are based on canon 1095, psychological reasons. These include a wide range of factors. Some of them may be misrepresentation or fraud (concealing the truth about capacity or desire to have children for example, or about an preexisting marriage, drug addiction, felony convictions, sexual preference or having reached the age of consent)

• Refusal or inability to consummate the marriage (inability or refusal to have sex) ,
  • Bigamy, incest (being married to someone else, or close relatives)
  • Duress (being forced or coerced into marriage against one's will or serious external pressure, for example a pregnancy)
  • Mental incapacity (considered unable to understand the nature and expectations of marriage)
  • Lack of knowledge or understanding of the full implications of marriage as a life-long commitment in faithfulness and love, with priority to spouse and children.
  • Psychological inability to live the marriage commitment as described above.
  • Illegal "Form of Marriage" (ceremony was not performed according to Catholic canon law)
  • One/both partners was under the influence of drugs, or addicted to a chemical substance.

Hope it helps. (F)

Edited by churipu

U.S. CITIZEN SINCE MAY 8TH 2008

NATURALIZATION

28th july 2007 - N-400 mailed to VSC

(exactly on the 90th day mark...applications NOT returned although some scared me into thinking they could have!)

30th july 2007 - N-400 delivered to VSC

11th august 2007 - Delivery Confirmation receipt received

17th september 2007 - Money Order (FINALLY!) cashed

9th november 2007 - NOA! (notification period given 180 days)

21th november 2007 - Biometrics appointment letter

18th december 2007 - Biometrics appointment in Baltimore, MD completed

29th march 2008 - FINALLY received letter with interview date!

8th may 2008 H 8:40 AM - Interview in Baltimore-APPROVED!

8th may 2008 H 3:00 pm (yes same day, crazy!) Oath Ceremony in Baltimore

24th may 2008 - US Passport application mailed off

6th june 2008 - US Passport received in the mail!!!

They allowed my ex but she had to have her previous marriage annulled

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Depends............

If the first marriage took place in a Catholic Church, after proper preparations, then you would have to have it annulled first. If, say, one of you were previously married before and lied about that, then that first marriage would be considered null. Also, if you did not get married in a Catholic Church and didn't consult a Priest or get a blessing, it would be considered null.

Annullment is not as difficult as you might think. There are many tiny rules that qualify you for annullment. It also doesn't take all that long if you fall under any of those tiny rules. If it's all up and up, it can be a bit longer process.

I work for Catholic Priests and used to work in a Catholic Church for 7 years.....I've never seen anyone actually not get an annullment.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Best bet is to ask a priest in the diocese that you wish to be married in since there are slight variations of the answer depending on where it is, who needs the annulment and what their previous marriage circumstances were.

"Only from your heart can you touch the sky" - Rumi