Cecile and Bryan

Medical exam - what about HPV?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

My fiance (USC) has HPV - Human papillomavirus. He told me last year, a few weeks later I got tested, and they said I didn't have anything.

Since then he came to visit me, and I have not been tested since then. I'm planning on doing it soon (probably in a few weeks).

Now I'm kind of freaking out for the medical exam before the interview for K1 (I know, that's a little early since we sent the petition a month and a half ago). I've looked for other posts, and also other websites. there was a post that said that someone with herpes would not necessarily be denied, so I'm guessing it should be the same for HPV.

I found that list of "communicable disease of public health significance" on that website http://faq.visapro.com/Immigration-Medical-Exams-FAQ9.asp.

A ‘communicable disease of public health significance’ is defined in the HHS regulations that cover the required medical exam for immigration purposes and includes the following nine infectious medical conditions:

• Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS)

• Tuberculosis (TB)

• Leprosy

• Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV/AIDS)

• Syphilis (infectious state)

• Chancroid (STD, similar to syphilis and herpes)

• Gonorrhea

• Granuloma inguinale (STD, donovanosis)

• Lymphogranuloma (STD, chlamydia)

HPV is definitely not on it.

Here is what I'm thinking:

- I get the test, if they say I'm fine, then I ask my doctor to write me a letter stating that I don't have it. At the medical exam, I tell them that my fiance has it but that I don't (since it's probably better not to hide anything), and I show them this letter.

- if they say I have it, then I really don't know...

First, do you think HPV would be a big problem?

Do you think that the idea of a letter and telling the truth is right (ahah)?

What do we do if I have it too?

07/31/08 Entry in USA with K1 visa

08/27/08 Married

05/15/09 Conditional green card received

05/10/11 Permanent green card received

07/28/12 Started naturalization process

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I don’t think you should worry about. First of all, HPV is not in the list, that’s correct. What they basically test you for is HIV, syphilis, and TB; HPV is not of their concern. Besides, at your medical, you only have a blood test and x-ray; as far as I know, to diagnose the HPV, they'd have to make a pap test, too, and they don’t do it.

(By the way, do you know that they now have a vaccine from HPV – it’s only effective for women who are under 26 though.)

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Don't worry about the HPV. They are looking for diseases that are highly infectious and pose a public health risk. HPV is so common and mostly dormant so it does not fall in this category.

Mama to 2 beautiful boys (August 2011 and January 2015)

Click for full timeline

Timeline

That's a relief! So you would say I don't even need to mention it (unless they ask specific questions of course)?

(By the way, do you know that they now have a vaccine from HPV – it’s only effective for women who are under 26 though.)

yes I know, but from what I read, it's only effective if you take it before to be sexually active and it only protects from certain types of HPV. I might try it anyway.

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I agree with ZeeNusah. Don' mention it. At my medical, I've been asked so many stupid questions - if I've ever had concussions, if I've been taking antidepressants, if I've been seeing a pshychiatrist... They've also checked my body for scars, etc. I found many of it offensive. But no HPV-related questions:)

(About that vaccine, I've never heard that you have to have it before you become sexually active. It sounds rather odd:) but could be. I wish I was under 26 to have a shot - I'm 33 now:) You're right that it doesn't protect of all the HPV types but at least of some; it wouldn't be bad either:)

AOS

04-16-2008: AOS package Sent to Chicago via Express Mail

05-13-2008: Biometrics

05-22-2008: AOS trasfered to CSC

06-13/17-2008: EAD Approved (2 CRIS email)

06-18/19-2008: AOS touch

06-20-2008: EAD Approval Notice Sent (email)

06-23-2008: EAD in mail

06-23-2008: Another EAD touch (9AM), EAD IN MAIL (1PM)

07-14-2008: I-485 Card Production Ordered

07-21-2008: Green Card in mail

It is my understanding that the doctor can do something with HPV in men but now women.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

Oh goodness!!!!! Ive been diagnosed with hpv 18 and they found pre cancerous cells which I have to take care of through some treatment! I've cried over this! now i've read that hpv may not be considered a big issue in the medical! great! I thought so too...but you never know! I hope it will be okay .....good luck to us!!!

yvfip2.png

4464359_bodyshot_300x400.gif4592513_bodyshot_300x400.gif

LQPEsa5e7K0

.png

K-1 Visa

Event Date

Service Center : Vermont Service Center

Consulate : Israel

I-129F Sent : 2008-02-28

I-129F NOA1 : 2008-03-08

I-129F RFE(s) : none

RFE Reply(s) : none

I-129F NOA2 : 2008-04-02

NVC Received : 04-09-08

NVC Left : 04-14-08

Consulate Received : 15 April, 2008

Packet 3 Received : 21 April, 2008

Packet 3 Sent : 24 April 2008

NOW IS WHEN EVERYTHING GETS STUCK: I have to wait 8 to 12 months for Argentinean ID and another 2 weeks for police certificate (I want to cry)

Packet 4 Received :

Interview Date :

Visa Received :

US Entry :

Marriage : Wedding on the beach in Pensacola, Florida .....YAY!

Comments : GOOD LUCK WITH THE K1 TUTY and ARIELLA!!!!!!!!

Processing Estimates/Stats : Your I-129f was approved in 34 days from your filing date.

Timeline

tuty, sorry to hear that you have precancerous cells.

people who answered that thread didn't say that it wasn't considered a big issue in the medical, they only said that it wasn't considered as big an issue as AIDS or TB or leprosy.

I hope your treatment will work and everything will be fine for the visa :)

08/27/08 Married

08/31/12 Biometrics done

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.