KGSodie

Exchanging Money In Moscow

110 posts in this topic

I think that in the chaos of firefights, it could be useful to determine who is shooting what...and at whom. And with the distinct "pop" sound of the AK, it's easy to target the enemy position(s).

Agreed. However, I don't think it's required to be "trained" into someone to distinguish the sound of anything at all from an M-16. It should be immediately apparent that someone is shooting something other than what "we're" shooting. (The green tracers also point a finger or two!)

For accuracy, it was hard to beat the old M-14 which did see action in Nam. The Marines carried them longer than the Army did. Our squad (Army) had one guy carry a M-14 with a scope and he came in handy under certain situations. And that weapon never jammed...something that was a serious issue with the M-16 from the Nam era. And if it came down to hand-to-hand and "fix bayonets"...the M-14 was a good rifle to wield.

Also agreed. They've made somewhat of a comeback now that the Marines and Army are fighting in some wide-open spaces again. And if you look at photos of SOF teams, even recent ones, there's almost always at least one guy with a scoped M-14 or similar rifle.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, especially when modern warfare seems to be trending towards close-quarters urban conflicts. These days if you need to go beyond 300 meters you either go shoulder-launched or remote detonated.

Or M-82A1.

Nothing like putting a 700-grain bullet through a wall to accurately hit your target 1,000 meters away.

(The M-14 also works some really nice magic out past 300.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

I like imagining someone new to this forum looking for tips on how to exchange money in moscow... and then clicking on this thread and discovering a discussion on assualt rifles. :lol:

Edited by eekee

Первый блин комом.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
I like imagining someone new to this forum looking for tips on how to exchange money in moscow... and then clicking on this thread and discovering a discussion on assualt rifles. :lol:

I thought this was about money exchanging in Moscow? But assualt rifles is fine also, more interesting, so please carry on! :thumbs:

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
I think that in the chaos of firefights, it could be useful to determine who is shooting what...and at whom. And with the distinct "pop" sound of the AK, it's easy to target the enemy position(s).

Agreed. However, I don't think it's required to be "trained" into someone to distinguish the sound of anything at all from an M-16. It should be immediately apparent that someone is shooting something other than what "we're" shooting. (The green tracers also point a finger or two!)

Roger that Slim.

For accuracy, it was hard to beat the old M-14 which did see action in Nam. The Marines carried them longer than the Army did. Our squad (Army) had one guy carry a M-14 with a scope and he came in handy under certain situations. And that weapon never jammed...something that was a serious issue with the M-16 from the Nam era. And if it came down to hand-to-hand and "fix bayonets"...the M-14 was a good rifle to wield.

Also agreed. They've made somewhat of a comeback now that the Marines and Army are fighting in some wide-open spaces again. And if you look at photos of SOF teams, even recent ones, there's almost always at least one guy with a scoped M-14 or similar rifle.

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Cheapest way is to use an ATM with a high quality ATM Visa debit card. We use one from Alaska USA credit union. The only fee involved is a 1% Visa transaction fee, which covers both the use of the ATM and the conversion from dollars into rubles. It is definitely the way to go. Not sure how you're going to get any cheaper than this.

Go over there and end up withdrawing, for example, $100/day for 30 days, and you've got $3000 minus $30 in transaction fees. Pretty sweet. Also a good way to "send money home". We sent one of these cards to the wife's parents and now whenever wife wants to send money for birthday or Christmas or whatever, we just deposit it here and they withdraw it there, minus the 1%.

Cheers!

AKDiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Cheapest way is to use an ATM with a high quality ATM Visa debit card. We use one from Alaska USA credit union. The only fee involved is a 1% Visa transaction fee, which covers both the use of the ATM and the conversion from dollars into rubles. It is definitely the way to go. Not sure how you're going to get any cheaper than this.

Go over there and end up withdrawing, for example, $100/day for 30 days, and you've got $3000 minus $30 in transaction fees. Pretty sweet. Also a good way to "send money home". We sent one of these cards to the wife's parents and now whenever wife wants to send money for birthday or Christmas or whatever, we just deposit it here and they withdraw it there, minus the 1%.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I still prefer cash. I have seen several ATM Visa or MasterCards that charge international transaction fees and currency conversion fees. I also like to be able to shop for the exchange rate instead of being at the mercy of the bank cards exchange rate. Still good to have the ATM card as a back up.

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I'm with you Neonred! Cash is king. :thumbs: Its bad enough to get ripped on the exchange rate. Why get taken twice by ungodly ATM fees.

Cheers!

AKDiver

I still prefer cash. I have seen several ATM Visa or MasterCards that charge international transaction fees and currency conversion fees. I also like to be able to shop for the exchange rate instead of being at the mercy of the bank cards exchange rate. Still good to have the ATM card as a back up.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

I believe money is exchanged for assault rifles quite frequently in Russia, so we're definitely still on topic. :D

Exactly! :thumbs: Assault rifles are never too far off topic!

And since we're on the subject, I recently discovered something that you guys may be interested in called Project Appleseed. Do a websearch for "RWVA" or "Appleseedinfo" and check it out. Basically, this group, the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, is offering weekend shooting clinics to teach folks how to become Riflemen in the tradition of our forefathers.

It's taught by "Riflemen" who've been through an instructor course and who travel the U.S. to educate others in the skills and history of being a Rifleman. For more info, check out my MySpace profile (through the link on my screen name here on VJ) or PM me.

This is just what I was looking for. Maybe you are too?

Cheers!

AKDiver

Holy $#!T!!! AKDiver, how the hell are you? I thought INTERPOL busted down your door again and hauled you and the old lady off to the pokey.

Glad to see you back. How's life been treating you?

Русский форум член.

Filed: Timeline
And since we're on the subject, I recently discovered something that you guys may be interested in called Project Appleseed. Do a websearch for "RWVA" or "Appleseedinfo" and check it out. Basically, this group, the Revolutionary War Veterans Association, is offering weekend shooting clinics to teach folks how to become Riflemen in the tradition of our forefathers.

It's taught by "Riflemen" who've been through an instructor course and who travel the U.S. to educate others in the skills and history of being a Rifleman. For more info, check out my MySpace profile (through the link on my screen name here on VJ) or PM me.

This is just what I was looking for. Maybe you are too?

This is just a guess but I bet Natalia (from "Buck and Natalia" fame) could teach that course (or the AK-47 version) and then some. :)

This is just a guess but I bet Natalia (from "Buck and Natalia" fame) could teach that course (or the AK-47 version) and then some. :)

Although I'm pretty sure she's quite proficient with a weapon, the AK-47 has never been considered a "long range" weapon and what Appleseed focuses on is long range shooting. Sure, Russian police probably receive quite a bit of training in shooting the AK, even at distance, but the bulk of their instruction (and practice) probably is done at much closer ranges. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Natalia?)

Appleseed does training at close ranges (25 meter AQT) but it translates (and practices) out to 300 and 500 meters.

I'm sure Natalia could show us all a thing or two, and she's probably one of the people who would show up to an Appleseed and do extremely well. (And then go on to help others.) Come to think of it, she'd probably be an "honored guest" at one of the events. To get "real" training on a rifle exactly how it's done in the country where it was developed would be extremely useful to anyone.

So how about it, Natalia? (I know you have much more important business to do first though!)

Русский форум член.

Timeline
Holy $#!T!!! AKDiver, how the hell are you? I thought INTERPOL busted down your door again and hauled you and the old lady off to the pokey. Glad to see you back. How's life been treating you?
Oh, you know - same old, same old. Take the good with the bad. Marriage and related stuff is going fine. No scams, divorces, other other such things - so that's good (:

USCIS made a mistake on wife's initital PR card. Gave her a "resident since" date of 2005 rather than 2006, chopping a whole year off when she could apply for the permanent card. Rules say you're a "resident since" the date on the card, and that's the date we used. Got the 10-year card with no problems. As it stands now, according to USCIS, she has been a resident for 3 years, going back to the time when they received the original K-1 application. At the moment, we've only been married about two and a half years (: As far as citizenship goes - she meets the 3 years as a PR requirement, but not the 3 years married to me requirement (: So, the end effect is that it meant we had to apply for the second PR card a year early and she got that card a year earlier than she otherwise would - but it also meant she got the second one before the fee increase, which we would have otherwise been stuck with, so that's good. But as far as applying for citizenship goes, it really has no effect. Either way, she is eligible to apply in September.

Wife still at the same job - she will complete her MS degree here in a couple of months. So will I. Wife turned down a job offer for $19/hr recently - waiting to finish her degree and get something a little better. The money was OK, about what she makes now by the time benefits are figured in, but the job was a little more basic than what she wants.

Couple of new cars - last year we bought her the cheapest car in America - a 2007 Chevy Aveo SV5. $8000 brand new. What a deal! I had no idea they made such cheap cars brand new. It's basic, but it's exactly what she wanted - small and easy to drive. I bought a 2007 Wrangler 4-door. It's a sweeti ride.

Going to Russia for 3 weeks, starting in mid-April. Will be our first trip back since getting married and pretty much 3 years since she came (a couple of months short of 3 years anyway). She is looking forward to it - but frankly, I'm not looking forward to the 25 hour flights and hassle and BS associated with travel to Russia. I'd rather stay home and work- but you know, you do what you gotta do.

What else? I still have no big screen TV, let alone Hidef. No BluRay and no HD-DVD player. In fact, no DVD player. I've got VHS (: At this point, I'm thinking I'll be able to skip DVD entirely and go right to BluRay - in several years, at some point. No hurry, no priority, I don't see what the big deal is about DVD, let alone hidef or anything beyond that. The CONTENT still sucks. Yes, this is my rant for today (:

I guess that's about it. Hope all is well with you!

Cheers!

AKDiver

Edited by akdiver

PEOPLE: READ THE APPLICATION FORM INSTRUCTIONS!!!! They have a lot of good information in them! Most of the questions I see on VJ are clearly addressed by the form instructions. Give them a read!! If you are unable to understand the form instructions, I highly recommend hiring someone who does to help you with the process. Our process, from K-1 to Citizenship and U.S. Passport is completed. Good luck with your process.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Will be our first trip back since getting married and pretty much 3 years since she came (a couple of months short of 3 years anyway). She is looking forward to it - but frankly, I'm not looking forward to the 25 hour flights and hassle and BS associated with travel to Russia. I'd rather stay home and work- but you know, you do what you gotta do.
You can be a stinker about it like me. I refuse to go and have stuck to my word. She has traveled alone twice since coming in 2004. I'd much rather be on a beach somewhere or on a cruise ship.

Timeline
Will be our first trip back since getting married and pretty much 3 years since she came (a couple of months short of 3 years anyway). She is looking forward to it - but frankly, I'm not looking forward to the 25 hour flights and hassle and BS associated with travel to Russia. I'd rather stay home and work- but you know, you do what you gotta do.
You can be a stinker about it like me. I refuse to go and have stuck to my word. She has traveled alone twice since coming in 2004. I'd much rather be on a beach somewhere or on a cruise ship.
Sure - I had that option. But I prefer to make my happy when the opportunity presents itself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.