KGSodie

Exchanging Money In Moscow

110 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline
, and 5000 rub lasts me 1.5-2 days. Usually.

5000 rub lasted my buddy only about 15 minutes when he went to Spearmint Rhino. (I was a good little boy and went home to bed early that night. Good thing too after hearing how much they spent supporting the single moms.)

Do they even make 1 ruble notes?! :lol: :lol:

5,000 rubles could last me several days, or about 1 hour of shopping for the lady. I'm pretty sure there's a conversion chart somewhere.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don't know why, but it never occurred to me that Natasha would have fewer problems exchanging bills that I would. Thanks for the suggestion! Taking cash is definitely the least expensive way to go, provided they exchange the majority of the bills. I suppose I can always use any rejected bills to pay for the visas ($131 each).

On my trip, 5000 rubles would easily last a week! Of course, we're very small spenders. Trips to the grocery store for food, maybe a trip to the pizzeria, a small gift for Vika, the ever present bus fares. This next trip I hope to experience Russian cinema, since I'm a big movie fan and didn't get the chance last trip.

Thanks for all the thoughts guys, I appreciate it!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wow guys, the average Russians I know were lucky to make 5000 rubles a month and that lasted for 1 month. How do they manage to that, when everyone myself included will waste that in a week or less?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

You know how it is, Satellite. I didn't throw my money around, but I wanted the experience to be memorable, and when we were out and about in town we'd stop for a milkshake, or a pizza, or to get treats (or whatever was needed) at the grocery story. I knew this wasn't anything anywhere near normal for Natasha and Vika, but I also know they enjoyed being treated to these things. It was a holiday not only for me, but for them too!

------------------K1 Timeline------------------

05 Jul 2007: Mailed I129F petition

06 Jul 2007: CSC received petition

09 Jul 2007: NOA-1 Issued

10 Jul 2007: My check clears the bank

13 Jul 2007: I receive NOA-1 in the US Mail

19 Nov 2007: Touched

19 Nov 2007: USCIS website shows APPROVED

23 Nov 2007: I receive NOA-2 in the US Mail

12 Dec 2007: NVC receives petition

14 Dec 2007: NVC ships petition to Moscow embassy

19 Dec 2007: Moscow embassy receives petition

26 Feb 2008: Interview at Moscow embassy

13 Mar 2008: Received visa

18 Mar 2008: POE in Atlanta

09 May 2008: Wedding

-----------------AOS Timeline------------------

16 Jun 2008: Submittal for AOS

23 Jun 2008: NOA1 for AOS (I485, I765, I131)

24 Jun 2008: AOS checks cashed

15 Jul 2008: Biometrics appointment

04 Sep 2008: Received I-485 Interview letter

05 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Approved

08 Sep 2008: AP/EAD Received

29 Sep 2008: I-485 Interview (I-551 Stamp received)

07 Oct 2008: Green cards received

Wow guys, the average Russians I know were lucky to make 5000 rubles a month and that lasted for 1 month. How do they manage to that, when everyone myself included will waste that in a week or less?

Being a tourist is a lot different than being a local. I blow a lot more money per hour when I'm on vacation anywhere.

Being a tourist is a lot different than being a local. I blow a lot more money per hour when I'm on vacation anywhere.

The 5000rub I spend in 1.5-2 days was when we took a vacation to St. Pete over New Years. When I stayed in Sochi the last 2 times I went, I only spent $400 each time for 10 days per trip. That included taxi, bus, excurisions, gifts for friends here at home etc. And there is always a big family meal that we have before I go home, and I help pay for that (when they let me. My lady and her family have a bad habit of not letting me pay for anything)

--- AOS Timeline ---

07/22/08 --- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

07/25/08 --- NOA for I-131, I-485, and I-765

08/27/08 --- Biometrics

10/01/08 --- AP received

10/14/08 --- EAD received

11/13/08 --- Notice of transfer to CSC

02/09/09 --- Permanent Resident Card Ordered Notice

02/09/09 --- 2 Yr Permanent Resident Card Received

--- Lifting Conditions ---

11/10/10 --- Mailed I-751 packet to VSC

11/12/10 --- NOA1

12/22/10 --- Biometrics

03/15/11 --- RFE

05/10/11 --- Approved

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Our rent, only, when we lived in Kazan' (on local rates not tourist) was 12000 rubles for a three room flat. 5000 can get you by in a month IF you own a flat. We managed to easily get by on 5000 for the rest of our expenses for a month.

Jeffery AND Alla.

0 kilometers physically separates us!

K-1 Visa Granted... Wednesday, 21 May 2008

Alla ARRIVED to America... Wednesday, 12 November 2008

russia_a.gif Алла и Джеффри USA_a.gif

AllaAndJeffery.PNG

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

When we went back to Russia a few months ago I found out that 5000 rubles sure didn't go as far as it used to. With the poor exchange rate 5000 rubles is about $200 and I was able to eat that up pretty quick, and I'm not talking about doing it in Moscow or St Pete. The inflation rate in Russia has been very high and prices are rising quickly. Of course I'm thinking back to my first visits 4 or 5 years ago when the exchange rate was much better too. A few taxi rides, a few trips to buy groceries and essentials, and go out to eat a nice meal and most of that 5000 rubles is gone. I remember my wife's shock a few months back when she saw how expensive good laundry detergent had gotten in the year and a half she had been away. Clothes are very expensive too. God forbid if you need to buy a new pair of good shoes!

If at first you don't succeed, then sky diving is not for you.

Someone stole my dictionary. Now I am at a loss for words.

If Apple made a car, would it have windows?

Ban shredded cheese. Make America Grate Again .

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Deport him and you never have to feed him again.

I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.

I went bald but I kept my comb.  I just couldn't part with it.

My name is not Richard Edward but my friends still call me DickEd

If your pet has a bladder infection, urine trouble.

"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow."

I fired myself from cleaning the house. I didn't like my attitude and I got caught drinking on the job.

My kid has A.D.D... and a couple of F's

Carrots improve your vision.  Alcohol doubles it.

A dung beetle walks into a bar and asks " Is this stool taken?"

Breaking news.  They're not making yardsticks any longer.

Hemorrhoids?  Shouldn't they be called Assteroids?

If life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.

So maybe that's why my wife isn't in a hurry to take advantage of my "free plane ticket back home" offer.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Double post....

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Just to concur with some...cash is the way to go. Before I leave for Russia I go to my bank and tell them I need X amount of clean $100 bills. No marks, no tears, no ink blotches. The bank might take a few days to gather the bills but I am in no hurry. I also heard many banks get fresh currency on Fridays but I don't know if this is true.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
Our rent, only, when we lived in Kazan' (on local rates not tourist) was 12000 rubles for a three room flat. 5000 can get you by in a month IF you own a flat. We managed to easily get by on 5000 for the rest of our expenses for a month.

Just got back from Russia. The cab fare between SVO 2 and SVO 1 was $60 (wanted to get $80 but i refused)! I paid $40 back in October. I think the cab mafia is getting very greedy. And, of course, Americans pay higher fares. I was in Siberia for almost a month. The costs are going through the roof.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Just got back from Russia. The cab fare between SVO 2 and SVO 1 was $60 (wanted to get $80 but i refused)! I paid $40 back in October. I think the cab mafia is getting very greedy. And, of course, Americans pay higher fares. I was in Siberia for almost a month. The costs are going through the roof.

that's why my policy in many situations is to not say anything and let my guy do the talking. this way no one knows there's an american in their car or trying to rent their apartment or etc.

Первый блин комом.

$60 is what I paid too in August. In rubles it was going to be almost $80 going by his exchange rate. I was late for my flight (which I wound up missing anyway) so I didn't haggle. (I hear it's pointless to haggle anyway.)

Having said that, I certainly got my money's worth. When we went outside, the traffic was gridlocked inside the airport. So he told me he would take me in his personal car, parked just outside the airport. Despite all kinds of alarm bells going off in my head, we dragged my luggage through an active construction area, dodging cranes and back hoes and weird pneumatic thumping machines, jumping over trenches, I even tripped on some kind of mine cart track. Finally we crawled through a hole in a chain link fence and got in his car. I couldn't have gotten that kind of fear-for-your-life excitement spending $60 at Disneyland. :)

Now that's cool!!!

But paying $60 for a cab ride when you could ride the bus for a few bucks is crazy! I know there's baggage involved but still, you could hire someone to help you with your bags and which bus to take and still save half that money.

(I'm only posting devil's advocate here... I'd pay that $60 too; I'm lazy!)

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.